The Big Warm Up

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Feb 19, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys 50's :cool2: all this week starting tues maybe we can get the ice off the river and wet some lines soon. You guys down around fort washington keep us posted. I would love to hook some cats this weekend if the ice isn't to bad. That stuff is hard on a boat :crazy: :lol:

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Weather.com has 60 degrees later in the week!!! Nathan gets back from the Middle East on the 23rd - as soon as I can pry him away from his wife we'll be out there!!

3. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    It should break up just hope it dosen't push up around the ramps. Marshall Hall was bad last week.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I hope so I need to go down around smallwood this weekend and pass out flyers for the march tournament. I would like to get in some fishing when i'm down that way as well.

5. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    If I wasn't going away this weekend, I'd meet you there and help out.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I look forward to meeting you this season always great to put a face with a name. And we always have catfish to talk about so we are best buddy's right out the gate :lol:

7. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Tim and company,

I should be flying the river almost every day this week and will give daily updates on the ice condition from Belvoir up to Reagan.

I promised my daughter we'd be fishing again no later than 10 March....hope I can keep that one!

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    OK that what I like to hear AIR support for my fishing trips :lol: :0a31:

9. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Rit.05, any way you could swing down by possium point adn see if they are pumping warm water in the creek? Should see steam or low fog on the water if its pumping warm. If they are the bait will be thick and easy to catch there. Its Va, so cast nets are legal. Last 15 times I have been in there over the last 3 years the water was cold and no bait. I gave up on it for bait.

10. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Went down to Ft. Washington. River is actually not bad. Had a west wind so all the ice on the river was on the MD side and it only covered about 50 yds out. On the down side the ramps are very icy. They haven't melted and are pretty rough right now although the water is open and the channel out is clear. Should be fishable by this weekend.

11. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Catch some big ones Tim. Good luck this weekend

12. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Well, the river looks a thousand times better than it did on Sunday. I started just south of the Occoquan which is clear.

Belmont Bay is still a sheet of ice.

Marshall Hall is breaking up, but the ramp is frozen. Should be clear after it rains tonight.

The Pohick is solid ice.

The Dogue creek is solid ice.

Mt Vernon flats area is breaking up and should be fishable in the next day or two.

Fort Washington is free of ice in the channel and clear from about 10 feet off the bank out.

South of the Wilson bridge on the MD side the cove is clear.

The channel is clear from the Bridge all the way south.

Everything north of the WW Bridge is ice. Some of it is breaking up, but most of it is solid. The Washington Channel and ramp at DCA are a no go.

I hope this helps you guys get after some of these fish that have had a break over the past couple weeks.

Be careful at the ramps and watch out for debris in the water. I saw a lot of "stuff" floating around that was probably in or on the ice before it melted.

I'll be flying the same area again tomorrow morning and afternoon. Post any special requests before tmrw morning...

13. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Billy,

Where is Possum Point? I should be able to get there if it's north of Quantico.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks a lot Dan that is great to hear, I would like to use the airport ramp this saturday but will make the fort washington one if needed. Just need to wet a line and when you get a day off you have a seat in my boat for a trip its on me and the boc brother. Lets go fishin

15. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Good Luck Tim hopefully the ice is gone

16. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Appreciate the report Dan...its good to have someone in the air!

Marty

17. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Possium point is the power plant on the Va side just N of Quantico. There are 3 outflow pipes right behind the RR tracks in Quantico Creek.

18. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Fort Washingotn is completely clear as of Wednesday.

WW Bridge up through the channel is fishable now.

The ramp at Reagan is clearing up and should be good by Saturday if the temps continue to stay the way they are.

Broad Creek is clear from the river in about 100 yards.

A lot fo ice is getting pushed into the Maryland side coves and creeks.

I only saw one guy fishing in a bass boat at the cove just North of the WW Bridge, but there was some kind of sailboat race going on near the airport(yikes).

I will be at it once again this afternoon and will swing south to check Possum Point, Leesylvania, and the Quantico area.

19. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good report! I just wish I was gonna be home this weekend. I'll have to wait until the following week.

20. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania