The big one that got away

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catch & release, Jun 17, 2007.

1. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm curious to here some of your stories on big fish you got up to the boat, but they got away for whatever reason. I've had more than one person tell me they hooked fish in the Santee system that spooled them. I find that hard to believe......I guess it could happen on light tackle....but then I posted on here the other day that I caught a bullfrog and a water snake on herring (I'm sure that's hard to believe too!). Any of you guys hooked into any really big ones?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hooked into one on the lower lake one night that i never turned for about 30-45 seconds the drag was steady going out. we was on a guide boat and the guide was running 30lb test. could of been a big flathead or a big blue i never seen it. it was in the dark but i have dreams about that one. the hook just pulled out while the guide was telling me to set the hook. not much to set when the fish is taking all you got....:roll_eyes:i had the fish on a wonder rod and it was as close to breaking as i have ever seen one. we was drifting when the fish hit and the rod was pointed to the side of the pontoon and when the fish hit it slammed it against the side of the boat. my fame and glory didnt last long but it gave me a lifetime of hope is all i can say.:big_smile: we had caught a few fish in the high 20s that never pulled any drag so it was a good fish.:angry:

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never been spooled in freshwater.I've come close several times in Lake Monticello when I'm fishin 80 to 130 foot of water and by the time you get to the bottom and allow a driftin angle of line theres not but about 40 or so yards left on the reel.I've had a few get real close to the spool (uncomfortably close) like that but they would always turn around.I've lost plenty of 20 to 40 lb fish but I dont think I've lost many monster fish yet (knockin on wood).One of the biggest fish I've ever felt I had on this past Febuary and I only had it on for 20 seconds so it was hard to tell how big it was but judgeing by the head shake it had to be around 140 to 160 lb range.:big_smile: Seriously though it was some massive head shakes.

4. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I had one swim straight to and under the boat one night that I never saw or turned...this on the same rod that I caught two 30 lbers on the same night.

My personal best 58 lbs came in 2-3 of water and swam straight to the boat after I set the hook. I reeled hard and fast and got enough lift to slide a net under him. The whole fight lasted less that 20 seconds. Had my buddy not been ready with the net it would have been another "the one that got away" story.

5. catch & release

State:
    SC
    Thanks guys, that seems to be a common theme with me too, for big fish to swim under the boat. If they are big enough, I guess they can go about where they want to go. It seems like every big fish I ever caught (or lost) ended up going under the boat and did not want to come out from under it. Chris I like your smile after posting your "guessed weight"........I know nothing about that lake, but those weights may not be as far fetched as some might think. I think there are a good many fish out there in the 130-150 pound range.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have not been lucky enough to hook into a fish big enough to spool me or break me off under its own power. :eek:oooh: It would be nice, but I think that with the tackle I use that would be near impossible.

With that said, Mudkip and I lost a tournament winning fish last month that got wrapped in the prop. That was mechanical failure on our part. :angry: We were half asleep at 3:00am, the net got hung in the star drag and had to be cut out; we just failed to land it like we have hundreds of other fish that size. It was not that big, Mudkip said around 25 pounds, but it would have easily won the tournament for us.

Early last years ago I had a fish take a bait that the hook had rolled into, so there was no way to actually get a hook set. I got a couple of cranks and a good lift on it before it dropped the bait, and to that point I had never hooked a fish that big before. In July of last year I landed the 55 pound blue in my avatar in the same area. Was it the same fish? Who knows.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Never been spooled either but have has several take some line.

8. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had a fish drag my 14' jon boat around in Lake Moultrie one night. I couldn't do any thing but hold on. It went under the boat.I could pick it up off the bottom and it would make another 20 to 30 yard run. I thought I had a gator but never seen it surface. It finally broke 50 pound spider wire. I thought my 7' ugly stick was going to snap. I was fishing with large white perch in 10' of water.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been spooled once and almost another time back when i striper fished alot. had 1 that took off and never got him turned all I could do was watch the line go out my buddy was trying to get the anchors up but he wasnt fast enough. then I was free lining bait one day in feb. and got a hit that I was able to try to chase down with no luck this fish was nice enough to leave me about 40 or 50 yds of 30 lb line on my reel. it sounded like a gun fire when the line snapped. that one upset me more than the first one because he was running into a cove and was gonna have to stop or turn around soon before he broke off. both times I was on lake hartwell. never been fortunate enough to catch a cat big enough to do it though.

10. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    I got spooled a couple of years ago on the Potomac. I was bank fishin for cat's and was fishing with white perch. The rod had twenty pound test on it. The fish hit hard and swam directly away from me. I did everything I could to get the fish to turn but it wasn't going to have it. It was either a big cat or a rockfish.

11. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i almost got spooled in the congree river striper fishing while wading it took out almost 200 yards of line ran under the gervais st bridge towards the small dam there i woulda swore it was a 60 pound fish never felt anything like it after about 40 minutes i landed it it was 32 pounds ive cought plenty in the 30 pound range never felt anything like that soooo i think it just depends on the fish and how much oxgen is in the water

12. catch & release

State:
    SC
    I here ya "which". Seems like most spooling takes place in current. I still say with a decent sized reel....say a 7000 Abu Garcia and medium or heavy action rod, not many catfish are gonna spool you in still lake water. I guess it just all boils down to the gear you're using. Heck a 5 pound triggerfish could spool what some people fish with. I started out catfishing with really heavy tackle, but it's not much fun when you catch a 20 pound fish and you're not sure if he's on or not until you winch him up to the boat. I now try to match my gear so that a 5 pound fish is fun for me or those fishing with me, but I'm confident I can put ANY catfish in the lake in my boat without rod or reel failure....well, almost confident. I was trying to net a fish one night that came to the top of the water about 10 feet from the boat (couldn't reach him), that weighed 90+ pounds if I had to bet my house on it. I've seen alot of fish in the 55-70 pound range, but this one was a beast.....his old rough teeth finally sawed through the line. I would have taken pride in throwing him back!

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    it also depends on where a fish is hooked too. cmj foul hooked a 35lber last year and at first i thought we had a new world record...lol. had to run him down with the trolling motor. he was hooked right close to that red spot on his belly.:lol: also had a uncle in the lower lake that ran across a guy that had a 65lber hooked in the tail with a hopkins lure and they had to help him land that one. he had been fighting it for over a hour they said. they had there picture took with the mans fish though.....big bass fisherman:lol:. ed im with you on the release all the way.

14. catch & release

State:
    SC
    "catfish" I have not hooked too many in the side (not too many in the mouth here lately either), but I'd put up a pretty good fight too if you hooked my underside. I had hoped this would turn into a thread of big fish stories instead of a spooling debate. I've often wondered if some of the spooling that supposedly goes on is alligators?:eek:oooh:? I know they'll tear up topwater plugs,turtles and snakes and absolutely love fish and dogs.....I just don't know if they'll take a bait on the bottom.....they hunt by sound and sight, so I'm not sure they could even find a bait on the bottom. One things for sure is there are some alligators in the lake that could spool an electric winch.:big_smile:

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I doubt it is alligators not they wont eat the bait but nothing for you to hook into in there mouth just bone. I have caught a ton of gators on rod-n-reel and have never been spooled with them. A Penn 309 with Ande 60# mono and a med-heavy Shakespere stury stick and the fun is on. I hooked one in the lower lake the other day and after 1 hour I was wooped and had all I could stand so I had to give it to my dad and he finally worked him up were we could get him tied up about a 9ft gator. Sure was fun though. Just in case anyone is is wondering that is what my father does for the state.

16. ike9389

ike9389 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was fishing in 15 ft of water using live bream when one hit and began taking line off , I got it turned and it came to the boat about 4 ft from the surface and then went under the boat so fast it almost took the rod out of my hands and the rod tip slapped the side of the boat and the 45 lb steel leader wire broke off at the 7/0 circle hook . I didn't get a look at him .

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I personally have never been spooled but at Santee I could see that a 10-15 ft gator would probably do the job on what most folks use for tackle.:smile2:My favorite "Spool" story comes from perhaps the premier guide on Santee and I have no reason to doubt him.He had a party of a father and son (15-16 years old) and they were anchored in the timber.A rod on the right side of the boat went down and the kid grabbed it,For 10 min or so it was up and down pretty much in place.Then the fish started swimming to the back of the boat and the guide took the rod from the kid to clear the fish around the motor and when it got back to the center of the boat on the left side, it started swimming straight away from the boat.The guide placed both thumbs on the spool in an attempt to slow the fish until as he said his skin was being burnt off.The fish kept right on going until the line broke at the spool.The way he tells it with such awe in his voice is great.Again I have fished with him a number of times and he has no reason to make up such a story.His real regret is not that the fish spooled him but that he didnt get to see it!!!!!:smile2::eek:oooh:One of the reasons I like 7 ft heavy rods is they give me the leverage to bring fish back from under the boat.PS the line the guide was using was and still is 130lb Spiderwire.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I hooked a gator in the Edist last year, about a 5 to 6 footer. He acutally picked up a live bluegill off the bottom. He just went to the bottom under the boat and lay there. I was able to gradually lift him off the bottom (with 15 pound test!). When he got to the surface he veered off to starboard and hung therre for a few seconds until he decided he had enough of that game. One flick of the tail, and he was gone...