The BIG FLATHEAD CATFISH bite is ON!!!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by bigd4xman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Just came in from fishing my favorite spot, and my little rod that I built wiht my Zebco 33 got wailed on. The big rod got some good bites, but couldnt get ahold of them. Anyway, someone down on the rock pulled out a 55 pounder, shuttin the gates a little has done the trick! Fisherman on both walls and down on the rock when we had to go get a bite to eat, goin back later tonight or early in the mornin, I'll settle for some eaters, just thought I'd share. 55 POUND FLATTY ON ROD AND REEL WOW!!!!!!!!!

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Cool were you at?

3. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Toronto, KS in the southeast part of the state on the Verdigris River.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    See Dustin. What did I say in a post last night? Try downstream from the gates where that creek runs in. :wink:

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas

keith you dont know how to fish:smile2: oh...and what are you doing up this late....or should i say early.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  7. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    KC Jayhawk, I'm heading out to try down where the creek lets in for a little bit as long as no one has beat me to it this morning.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Did you go? Id get down there around 7pm and sit till midnight. When me, Shelby, and JJ were down there awhile back, some ole boy told us there was a 60 and numerous up to 20 caught out of there. That was when there was a lot of water being let out. :big_smile:

9. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I went for a couple hours, fishing with perch and they were biting good, but I think I need to take my baitcaster and turn the clicker on and let them run a little bit instead of tightlining, it seems like they wont take it and get it in their mouth good, or could be my hooks, Gama 6/0 that I havent used until just yesterday. might head out when the sun starts going down and see how I do with tightling and my baitclicker.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Gar. Gotta be. Happens to all of us. I checked the gauges, I see what the problem is now. They are letting out 200 cfs. It usually sucks when they arent letting alot out. You might have to try further downstream. Find some deeper holes and fish just upstream of them at night time. Try that and see if you do better. :big_smile:

12. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Went back up towards the gates tonight and fished between the wall that us locals walk on and the dam, where the basin is around 12 feet deep, stayed there from 9 to midnight, fishing was not very good tonight, didnt even see any drum being caught. I talked to my grandma today who told me of some deep holes further downstream by an old crossing, I'm thinkin about giving that a shot, and changing up from large perch to somethin a little smaller and some stink bait. You'll have to let me know if you come down this way to fish again over the summer. I have some spots upstream that are good for eating size fish around 15lbs and smaller but I'm after some bragging rights this year.

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Your grandma must be a real cool lady if she knows where the fishing holes are!:cool2:

14. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Yep, and if you dare take her fishing she'll outfish you every time!

15. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Moved to a spot about 2 miles downstream from the dam for a little bit tonight. Some riffles just downstream and a deep hole with a small creek running into it right where I was. Put a good size perch out on a 6/0 Gamakatsu hook and 8 ounces of lead on a 3 way rig. Anyway about 30 minutes in my rod got slammed! It was around a 30 pound Flathead I pulled in, first one of the year for me. I'll be going back there tomorrow for sure. Also tried fishing with a slip bobber for the first time, but had no luck with it tonight besides a couple bites at the gates of the dam.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Good job Dustin. Any pics? Congrats !!! :big_smile: