The Big D - Diabetes Stories

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by topjimmy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have been a Type 1 diabetic for more than 5 years, I am 32 years old now. I was diagnosed in August 2001... what a lousy year that was. I found out I was diabetic in August, in September the terrorist attacks occurred, and at the end of September I was laid off and went unemployed for 8 months.

I journalized my experiences when I was sick, and still have them on a webpage. As I go back to it and read it now, there are things in it that I would like to edit. There are broken links in it and some other things I don’t like, but it is as it was when I wrote it, and is an accurate description of how I felt at the time.

You can find it here, http://members.cox.net/topjimmy/diabeticjournal.htm

This disease is an epidemic in America right now, and I know there are a bunch of people here who deal with this everyday as I do.

Fishing is a great hobby for me now, it’s relaxing and not too physically demanding. I had to give up some hobbies that I really loved (flying and downhill skiing) because there are too many complications with being insulin dependent and trying to pursue those hobbies… it is just too hard. I did do a backpacking trip into the Grand Canyon last year, it was something my Dad and I had wanted to do for better than 15 years. It was a real challenge, but I made the whole trip with no serious problems and I was the first one to the top on the way out.

My wife worries about me when I spend time in the wilderness, but I have a lot of good friends who look out for me. I have never had a hypoglycemic episode in which I have lost consciousness, but it is always a possibility.

Anyway, I guess you could call this a diabetic roll call… tell us your story.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am a diabetic and it is a big deal. Most don't know the trouble and I guess most don't need to know but It is important that someone know that is with you on outings. you can find yourself waking up on the floor of your boat if your are lucky. if your not lucky you don't wake up in the water. Did you know that 30 % of diabetics loose eye sight every yeat and that 25% loose a limb each year.

Lear to control it, keep insulin and candy with you and rembember outings are one of the best thing we can do as it relieves stress and stress is enough alone to make your numbers go wildall by itself.

There are many bad stories but they don't always need to be told as it sometimes make people think that they should stay away from us.

Just let someone know who could help you get sugar quick or help you get your insulin ready and all can be back fishing in a few minutes.

Good luck to all the diabetics and I bet we find there are many.

Danny

3. Kittykiller

Kittykiller New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That's a good web-page, informative. I keep thinking that I may have Diabetes, it runs in my family. How do you go about finding out? Just get a Dr. appt. and maybe a physical? I'd sure be appreciative of any info in that area.

4. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    KittyKiller - let me share that info with you, having just purchased my first test meter, lancets and strips today. Proper method of diagnosis is to make an appointment to see your doctor. A few days before your appointment, have a fasting blood sample drawn (fasting in this case is don't eat or drink anything but water after bedtime the night before). Most Dr.s will have no problem setting you up a time to stop by in the morning and get a quick blood draw for analysis. Just make sure you don't eat or drink anything but water till after they draw your blood. Then your doctor will discuss the results of your test(s) with you at your appointment. If your glucose (blood sugar) is over 100, you're a diabetic. At least that is what my doctor told me this morning.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Just a quick note of caution.
    There are many types of diabetes.Some need sugar,others can't have sugar.Carbs play a big role in it also.

People are well meaning,but make sure if you suspect you have it,see a Dr. that specializes in it.

Don't go by advise from friends and internet pages.
    Everyone is different.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a dibetic too & the poster child for how NOT to live. My Sugar hoovers between 200-350 all the time. I was almost in a coma the night before I was actually diagnosed w/ it. My dad is a diabetic, both grandfathers, etc.... It will kill me, becasue I rarely take the meds, which right now is Glucoface & Avandia. I guess I have a phobia about taking pills. Sometime the only #'s higher than those on my Freestyle machine is the team ERA of the Cincinnati Reds! ;) I am sure this will kill me very early in life unless I really have a chnage of well...... everything. Making complete lifestyle changes are hard, but I've been ognorning it or takign very little action for years, reading & typing this someone seem to have helped me for some odd reason. I think I may go fill my prescriptions today & start that life change.

7. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Good, we want you to stay around. If you don't take care of it, it will get you. If you can't keep your numbers down, you might need insulin. Do you have a good endocrinologist? A lot of diabetic folks receive care from their GP, which sometimes is not the best way to go. Keep us updated.

8. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Please, please take care of each and everyone that has this disease. I work for a Dialysis Center and the majority of people here on dialysis are here because of Diabetes.

Test often and do what the doctor tells you.

My prayers to all of y'all.

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    H20 Mellon listen up
    This in not just for you brother but this is what happened to me.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in '99. I went to the doctor thinking I was having some more back trouble because my feet and legs hurt all the time. Boy was I wrong. When I first started having problems I thought I was just getting older (37) and it took more time to rest up. I thought everybody felt like this when they were tired. Then some time later I decided that I must be lazy because chasing a pack of beagles hot after an ole bunny rabbit just wasn't worth how I felt at the end of the day. {ok, I'm back my sugar was getting low so I had to eat something} I gave my dogs to my hunting buddies and retired from the sport.

Lets get back to the doctor; he said he wanted me to fast and come back in the morning because he suspected I had diabetes. I told him that sounded good because I was expecting back surgery. He said he would like for it to be my back because he could fix that. After many test he found that I did have diabetes and something I had never heard of called peripheral neuropathy.
    Peripheral neuropathy is a disease of its own and in my case was caused by uncontrolled diabetes. (like yours) Neuropathy is a nerve disease and the best way I can explain how it feels is imagine standing in fire that comes past your knees while being stabbed with ice picks. There is no cure for pn. It is progressively degenerative. That means it gets worse everyday. The doctor started me on all kinds of meds to try to control the pain. There were times when the meds made me too sick to go to work. Let's cut to the chase. I was 39 years old when I became disabled. The pain and the effects of the medication won't let me work. Not working and taking opiates sounds nice it gives more time to fish. I haven't fished in over a year. I'm getting sick of setting around the house. If it weren't for the grace of God I could not make it through one day. The drugs only do so much.

My doctor has told me to prepare for deteriorating health in the next few years. I've already had laser eye surgery twice because of diabetes. He said my kidneys would probably be next. An ingrown toenail could cost me my foot or leg. There will come a time when I'll need the little blue pill and then nothing will help. I'll be impotent.
    Yes, I'm trying to scare you and anyone else that does not keep their sugar in check. No, I'm not exaggerating I'm telling it like it is. I hope many or just one (you) will pay attention to this and take care of their health. We owe it to our families.

Thanks I step off the box now.

ST

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also have the nerve disease and it is life destroying, I live on pain medications and it is no fun. They call my diease brittle diabeties it means it is uncontrolable. My number may be good for some time and for no reaso at all they go bonkers for weeks or months. I now weigh 300 in 2 months I might weigh 225 and then 325 and back down to 250 it's a wld ride.

People get serious about your diabetes it could save you much trouble and even save your life

Danny

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    God Bless you Danny.

ST

12. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Went to the Doc today after having blood tests run. Everything comes back fine except blood sugar levels. The Doc tells me I may be Diabetic and they will have to have more tests run. That sucks I hate the fasting thing.. I fish all the time with TopJimmy and find it an odd twist that I may now also be diabetic.

Melon, I also agree with TopJimmy that we want you around. I am sure your family feels the same way. Take care of yourself because there is only one go around in life and It would sadden us all to see it cut short.

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thoughts and prayers to all the diabetics,my dad and stepdad both have diabeties and i know how it can effect a person

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Neuropathy

Boy, the stories that I can tell you guys about this. My dad has sever neuropathy. Words can't begin to describe it. :sad:

15. cassidythedog

cassidythedog New Member

State:
    arizona
    to topjimmy i gave him the video game that gave him db, for that i am sorry.:) Just kidding 18yrs of friendship and he was always eating the right food and i was drunk all the time, pizza and beer. But the nice thing is that i make sure he is ok when we fish or camp and he makes sure that with my disabilities that i am ok to. Kind of a cool thing.Together we make a perfect fishing team.

16. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    If your family has a history of it you will get it . I got it last year at 53 and had been watcing what I eat. Do reseach and follow the carbs. I am Type 2, Wife was type one for years and finally got it under control to a type 2. Pills are not that difficult, crush them and mix with some type of drink. Watch carbs and natural sugars close. Fruits can put your sugar way up. If you do not have disbetics and it runs in the family, watch for frequent urinationthis is one good sign. Also watch to see if you start to shake for no reason. Sugar dropping fast will cause this. If you get to where you seem to have no energy and stay tired all the time, another sign. Yeast infections in men and women is a classic sign. So folks if it runs in your family, learn about it, also learn about it for the people you are around. Learn how to check your family and friends with their monitors. And always check them if they pass out before you treat. It only takes about 15 seconds for the monitor to show if surar is low or high.

17. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    My doctor started me out with different kinds of pills along with diet to control my sugar level and I never got it under control. Insulin was God sent. I don't have any trouble now. One of things I do that helps is I eat about the same thing at the same time every day. That gets kinda old sometimes but it's easier to keep up with like that.

If you have trouble controlling your sugar levels with oral meds talk to your doctor about starting you on insulin. It is a little more trouble to keep up with but it is definitely worth it.

ST

p.s. topjimmy, you started a really good topic for discussion. I sure hope folks will heed all the advice that has been posted. It will be such a benefit to their quality of life.
    :0a32:

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I just finish reading your stroy on your Diabetes, and I'm glad that I did. My mother has Diabetes & she lives with me, so I'm taking care of her. My father had high blood presser before he pass on (RIP :sad: ). So guest what - I been told (by my doctor) that I now have Diabetes & High Blood Pressure. I'm taking pills for the High Blood Presure Problem, and for now that's under control - but I have a doctor appt. on Monday (3/27/06) and I now have more questions to ask about myself :confused: , because the same things that were happen to you in 2001 - I'm sad to say, are happen to me now. :confused:

You Take Care of Yourself,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

19. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    I am a diabetic!!!
    Starting in 2000 I was having problems with my feet and showed all the signs as well as a huge family history - did not heed the warning!

In December of 02 I ruptured my back but worked through the pain untill it had me in so much pain and flat out my wife made me go to the ER!

I was admitted and after many tests and three weeks there the back and the neuropathy and the nerve damage that left me with a drop foot wasn't the serious problem - Diabetes was! I tested at over 400!

It is under controal and I am off insulin and take the pills but having vision and ED problems!
    This is not a joke! If you have the symptons get it checked for I have irrevesable problems because I didn't take care of myself early when I had a chance!

A good thing has come of this! The BOC! While at home recouperating I joined on 2-22-03 and was the best internet find ever! That summer still weak and with The help of a good friend Chris (The naked fat man, dodgeman -drove me there and back) and the hospitality of another good friend Veets (stayed in his camper) I went to my first gathering! My wife thought I was crazy but trusted in these two! She couldn't understand why a very sick person would drive 6 hrs (with a young man I never met) and stay and fish with total strangers in hopes they would watch over me was beyond her comprehension! It wasn't untill a few weeks ago realizing the possibility of not going back for another Catstock that Whistler, Rat, Chris, Veets, Slimmy, Hoggster, Bearcat, others and myself had no idea how really sick I was!
    I owe a lot here to my brothers and sisters for the best medicine that money can't buy!

I want to go to many gatherings so I need to take care of myself! If you havn't been to one it is your best medicine! Fellowship will warm your soul!

20. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    I know that was long winded but something I forgot:

If you have diabetes, high blood preasure, heart problems or other problems PLEASE don't be to big to:
    Wear your life jacket!