The big catfish are spawning and shell cracker too in houston county, tennessee

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Michael, May 5, 2006.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    hello im new to the site . anyways heres a small fish report for the cumberland river and the tn river close to cane creek.
    i was out on the cumberland this morn and was catch a few white bass and shell cracker tons of skip jack are running i caught the fire out of them and cats were good but alittle slow . cane creek in houston co . ive been the every other day for the last 3 weeks looking for the shell cracker spawn down at a place called O johns close to cane creek .
    the shell cracker are spread out and very very slow . so i went catfishing and did very very well they are on spawn out there and im pulling in like over a 100 pds wourth every morn i go on chicken liver and in 3 ft of water they are spawning there and full of bb size eggs .
    all at about 4 to 10 pds a piece. im headed back out in the morn to O johns for the shell cracker again the water is up now and reports of them starting to spawn are coming in to me so ill try'em out in the morn. happy fishing and hope to see some of you guys out there sometime.
    i live in clarksville tn and fish red river and the grainery alot too for the cats holla at me maybe we can hook up some time.

2. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Michael, I am planning to take the family out tomorrow and would love to know where this place is you are talking about. Does it have access to the bank or do I need a boat and is it suitable for the lil ones to fish. How far is it from clarksville. Shot me a PM if you can

3. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    hey pursuing -cats,
    the place i goto is in huston co. its about 1hr 20 mins from here in clarksville. there is a few places to fish from the bank down there and is a great place for a family togo. i go out the in a boat but you can fish from the bank and get some nice cats too. while they are spawnning. its hard for me to tell you how to get there its down alot of back roads in the middle of no where. i could take you out there with me maybe in these next 2 weeks if ya want. so how did your fishing trip go to day? Mine went pretty good i cought 30 huge shell cracker, and one nice size 3 pd cat that bit my worm while trying to cacth the shell cracker.
    the cracker are still alittle slow . i should have had atleast 200 or so.
    but this coming up week they should be running hard.

4. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    The trip was ok. Not very productive since we had no clue where we were going but we had a good day as a family. I drove all the way to Cane creek, checked out the marina and then fished the boat ramp where the old train tresel is. We fished the two ponds there with the kids. They had a blast. Then we drove back to Cross Creek on the SAteam Plant side and fished there for awhile. Kids had a blast. I fish mainly from the bank. Waiting for the boat trailer to show up so I can pick up the new pontoon that is sitting at Bass Pro shop. Maybe we can get together someday and fish the area you are talking about. See ya on the water.

5. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Pat we need to hit the water after work and do some checking on the catfish spawn. give me a yell and Micheal give us a yell and lets fish.

Daryl

6. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Id love to hook up and do some catfishing i have to work all weekend tho and mon tuse im headed back out to hit shell crackers .. but for sure im always looking for some fishing partners im always most of the time fishing alone.. we can hook up and pile in my boat or you guys can follow me in yours . send me a e-mail and ill call ya or you can call me Loquaclous@aol.com i fish all summer for cats after the crappie and shell cracker spawns. lots of trout lines and jugging and pole fishing.

7. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    i went out yesterday morn and caught 25 shell cracker not to good of aday. but they where all females and full of eggs. everyone is saying the shell cracker are done but little do they know they havent even got started good yet. today i went and caught 35 shell cracker and huge brim.
    i bet this week it will be time to get that 100 - 150 aday cacth.
    cat fish are still spawning i caught some while i was fishing for shell cracker on a red worm at 2 ft deep. have agood one and happy fishing.

:0a23:

8. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    i went out with Stephns today on the hunt for some big cat and they were picky today they would pick it up run and drop it qiuck but we did land 2 cats one 20 pd and one 17 pd we was on the cumberland river in clarksville .. both were cuaght on cut skipjack 20 pds 500 by 400.JPG

17 pds 500 by 400.JPG