The Bible...have you read it?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flatheadhunter33, Sep 4, 2006.

The Holy Bible, have you read it?

1. I have read the Bible

2. I have not read the Bible

3. Tried to read it but could'nt follow...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay folks, heres a question for you all. After reading the thread on tatoos, I got to wondering about something. How many here read or have read the Bible? How many have read it from cover to cover? I personally come from a very big family. My grandparents have always been very insturmental in providing our family with religeon whether it was going to church and being saved or bible study at their home on Wednesday night. I know that some in my family claim to have read the entire bible and they understand it very well. No such luck for me though. I do feel that I have a close realtionship with God and I have tried a few times and, although I love to read, I just cant seem to maintain an interest.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have read the bible cover to cover twice and used to carry it in my truck would read it over and over certain parts that were hard to comprehind . it would keep me occupied for hours its very entertaining to say the least , when i was young mom would read from the bible once in awhile and wed sit and listen we went to church every sunday

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I try to read a chapter daily and have read it cover to cover, Old and New Testaments 2 or 3 times. Admittedly though I don't spend much time in the O.T. so, I have read all of the N.T. several times.

I have learned a lot, but there is still MUCH that I do not understand and I will not comprehend it all until I step through the Pearly Gates. :big_smile:

Finding a Bible that is in plain English is key to understanding the Word.
    The King James Version is great, but no one speaks that way any more so, it is very tough to understand. The NIV (New International Version) and the NASB (New American Standard Bible) are probably the two most widely used versions and are written in plain language.

Eric

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The bible at least a dozen times in different forms and several dozen other book used in teaching. I have a degree in bibles studies and only lacked 15 credits on a second degree when I quit because of health reasons.

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What other books have you used in your teachings? Sometimes I wonder if I need one of those child bibles to help me out:roll_eyes: :smile2: .

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ah Yes!! What an awesome book.I really wish that you all would allow me to say what is truly in my heart about God and His word.It's such a vast store house of knowledge that none of us will be able to read and comprehend everysingle thing there is too know,but guess what we have no reason to be dismayed.You see,Our Creator knew we would never be able to understand it all and sadly He also knew that not everyone of us would allow ourselves to say "Ok God this is your instructions and in order for me to go home to Heaven and be with you forever I have to change my ways(repent) and do exactly as you tell me to do.Yes I have read from cover to cover,yes there are places that are difficult to understand but whats so black and white is what He says we have to do to be Obedient.Yes people have posted about tatoo's but the real post should be if Jesus were to come right now,are you truly ready for Him? Our answer must be Yes and if I'm not sure,should I not check out His Instructions of what I must do in order to be fully prepared.Should I not strive which I'll be the first person to admit is extremely hard to do yet it's mandatory to be done to lay down MY WILL MY CHOICES MY WANTS,and say Lord Jesus "Let me see your ways,let me examine your word and see how you did it and let me replicate my life so You will say to me "Well done thou good and faithful servant". If anyone wants to talk about Jesus PLEASE PM ME,if there is anything I can say or do to help any of you.I am not a mean spirited woman I do not argue over God's word I simply strive to show what the Bible says and then whomever I talk too is left to think things over for themselves.As a Christian I am to have the Love that Jesus had and still has for everyone.I strive very hard to do that,that does not mean that I still don't get angry or I don't do things that I should not do.It means that I'm being Hard Core Honest with all who read this and my love for human kind(AGAPE LOVE) forces me to want to help anybody that I can.I want to go to Heaven and I want to take as many with me as I possibly can.So if you want to talk hollor at me it would feel me with joy for you to do so!------------pk powell:smile2:

7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Maybe this will help:

This is for those that don't understand the bible or maybe don't read it at all. If this works for you I hope to get a PM and hear about the blessing:smile2:

Read PSALM 119: 11-38 use it as a prayer.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Amen Same goes for me also anyone needs to sit down and just talk just need to talk just give me a pm . I have read the bible cover to cover still got alot to learn.

9. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have read the Bible from front to back, but I have to say I did not comprehend some of the messages it has. I think the key is re-reading what you don't understand and studying it. I grew up going to church every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night was prayer meeting. I also went to Bible School every summer until I was 13 - sometimes at 2 or 3 different churches. We memorized passages from the Bible and the books of the Bible. We sang songs about the Bible and learned a lot of the famous stories from the Bible. I have learned as I get older that some of the best stories, however are the ones we did not study in Sunday school or Bible school. I guess I just feel like every time you pick up your Bible you can learn something different - perceive a passage a certain way once and a completely different way another time. I think reading your Bible is a very good thing - but comprehending and remembering what you read is even better. Take those lessons and apply them to your daily life. That is what the Bible is all about. IMO

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    PK,

What a wonderful post sister. You are standing on faith, and that's the way we all should do.The Bible is the best book ever written, and every time you read it, you will get a different meaning.

Many has tried to disprove the Bible, but the more they try to, the more they find out how true it really is.. We will never understand everything about the Bible, but that's OK, as we will know when we get to Heaven..

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chatty catty,you are so correct in your statements.There are passages in God's Word that are difficult either that or we with our human feelings are being difficult I don't know quite which but yes there are times tha things happen in your life and all of a sudden the light clicks on and you find yourself saying ok! now I get it so thats why Jesus said that. I'm just now figuring out Matthew 20:16 many are called but few chosen,I am enduring a difficult thing where I worship and the Lord has shown me just now at the age of 47 what he met when he made that statement.So many people profess that they are Christians but then they go and pull a stunt thats just down right dirty dealings and that scripture came to me just as clear as a bell.And it also said to me "Pat,watch yourself,cause God is watching you he knows what is truly on your heart with him there are no secrets so I must have forgiveness and love for my fellow man no matter what".Trust God he will take care of all matters,(you speaking to myself) make sure you are as honest as humanly possible in regards to all things and keep your nose clean God will take care of the rest,without my assistance.By Gum thats whats HARD to see people create pain and heartache for others and Jesus says "Love them Pray for them Forgive them leave the rest to me" And too the gentleman who stated I was standing on my faith please excuse me I have forgotton your name,I say a simple thank you I try but I also fail so I get up and ask god to help me and dust my pants off and try again.But I thank you sir for your comments.------------Pk powell:smile2:

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    The Bible was one of the first books I learned to read. You know, one of those broke down for a four-year-old to read and understand? I got it when I was 12 and still have troubles (just kidding).

But I honestly can't remember what chapters, and what verses (exactly) to quote from to help myself or others out. I would like to share my current secret when I need to find something from scripture quickly. I hope you all can use this to your advantage......

http://www.biblegateway.com/

I honestly encourage any one who has never read the Bible, to do so. If you've never been to church, try it! I bet you'll love it!

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
  14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    The Bible is a very amazing book.You can read it over and over and you'll learn something new everytime.Greastest book ever written.Sorry to say I don't read it as much as I know I should.GOD BLESS!!

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree, get a NIV version or an NSB, the KJV is really monotonous with all the THOU', DOST, THY, THOUST, SHALT, etc, and turned me off from the start. try to read it with an open mind and not read it and "think what you are supposed to think", once i started reading it with an open mind it became very intiresting and i was obsessed with it! cant say how many times i have read the whole thing but i know i have read the Old Testament the most. i had a hard time comprehending the teachings of "Jesus" for a long time, but when i started reading Buddha"s original teachings years later it all started opening up to me.

16. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I use the bible as an everyday guidance in my every day life.Very Good Post

17. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Have read it in many translations and I don't believe we are tested on how much we know but on what we do. The Message Bible is easly understood. Like to read it without all those numbered verses and just as the letters it is made of. For me the verses being numbered take away from it being letters from God and allows many teachings to be made out of context. Study to show thyself approved for me means to put into action what you know to do. Experiencing God's word. Those poor early believers didn't have christian book stores, christian radio and TV and the dozens of translations as we do. They just had to have faith in hearing His voice through the Holy Spirit. We need to make sure it lines up with His letters.

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    YOu Are Right Brother We are judged by whats in our heart not what we know in my personal studys I read 1 chapter A day There is a lot of difference btween reading and studying before opening my Bible I pray for the Holy Sprit to open doors of under standing to me you can read a passage then go back to it later and He will reveal some new to you:big_smile:

19. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Very cool thread.yes God is great and awesome,and the Love he has for us as well as his mercy is unending.. \o/
    I have not read the WHOLE bible through.But God usually shows me what I need.and this is because I am not usually always ready to comprehend what he is showing me,but that is why we have the HS to help us to understand its knowledge wisdom and understanding.
    It is late here and I dont have the time tonight,but if I may post the site for the pastor/teacher who teaches the bible wholly unadaultered and truly is a man of God in the pastoral and teaching sense..
    His site has downloadable teachings as well as a FREE tape ministry..One can actually order up to 4 tapes a week free..Truly an amazing move of the Lord,and I reccomend him to anyone who is having a hard time understanding the bible.
    the site is http://www.dsheriff.org
    Duane sheriff ministrys.
    I promise you,you will not be dissapointed.
    And he does travel quite a bit,so he may be coming to a church near you.
    peace and plenty,
    Kevin

20. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks everyone for your input. I look forward to further help from anyone who wants to offer and, I hope that this thread helps anyone who is also in my position.