The best way to freeze herring

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by DJH1, Apr 29, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can somebody tell what is the best way to freeze skipjack and other types of herring? I dont have access to a vaccum sealer, so thats out. Should they be on ice immediately when taken out of the water? Should you put water in the bag when freezing them??

2. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    :big_smile:The best way to freeze Skipjack is to wrap each one in wax paper before you put them in the freezer bag. That way you can just take one out at a time, and they don't freeze together. Use 2 1/2 gallon freezer bags that way you can get more than two to a bag. roll the bag to squeeze out as much air as you can before sealing the bag. I date the bag so I know how old the skipjack are. Good luck with freezing you bait.:cool2:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    There ain't no good way. LOL! They always come out of the freeze like a "FISH SICKLE" LOL!

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've always wrapped my skipjack in Seran wrap, which gives a good airtight seal.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I ALWAYS HEARD THEY WERE NO GOOD AFTER THEY THRAW OUT

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Every time I have frozen herring in the past they were to mushy to stay on a hook. Maybe i did not what I was doing. I don't freeze herring.

PEEDEE CAT

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was going to say vacume seal them but since you dont have one soon as I go them out of the water I would stick them in ice and when you put them in the bags I would put some water in the bag and make sure its sealed tight, and put them in the freezer, they should last a while and once they unthaw out they should be good to use again.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would splurge and make a vacuum sealer available. of the four i bought, 3 were on clearance. with as many new models that are always coming out, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good deal.

9. Keith@fishon

Keith@fishon New Member

State:
    Florida
    Some tips based on what we do:
    • Out of the water and into the ice - every minute the fish is sitting in room temp or above, he's going downhill in quality.
    • Get the fish off of ice and into a zero degree freezer ASAP (blast freezer if possible) - again, this is all about preventing the negative affects of death, dehydration, and bacterial growth in the stomachs.
    • Vacuum-sealing is essential - we vacuum ours because a vac'd herring can last 2 years if kept below zero.
    • Fresh is best - if you can't vacuum your bait, it will freezer burn so it will be firmest/best if used within a few days or (at most) a week.
    Hope this helps.

Tight lines...