The best story youll read all day ;)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Feb 13, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he had died!

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.
    After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.
    When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me,where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."
    The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.
    As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside,leaning against a tree and reading a book.
    "Excuse me!" he called to the man. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.
    The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
    When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
    "What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates?
    Nope.That's hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."

Bless you and all your favorite friends, whose lives touched yours without them ever saying a word.

BROTHERS AND SISTERS, You're always welcome at my water bowl~

-sal

2. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    You just can,t beat a good dog story, thanks Sal jr. I'm a dog lover too. They seem to be the best judge of character.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Dang it Sal

I can't rep ya again today.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Good story, enjoyed it. I read your quote at the end, shoot, I guess I can try for 60 since I blew right past 50 and was still acting like a kid.lol

5. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that was great i love stories, keep them coming!!!

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Excelent Sal, simply excelent!

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive given too many rep points in the last 24, youll get 'em soon though. great story!

8. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Great story, Sal!

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Great story Sal just one problem,my CAT is LOOKING for you!!!:crying: He's tired of all these feel good dog stories.:mad: There better be a feline chapter added because he is a BIG cat.Someone once said when we are placed in the scales of justice our human crimes and sins go in on one side while we and all the animal friends we made along the way go in the other.I sure hope that is true.:)

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    jim sorry bout your bad case of sour p.... uh- sorry your cat feels left out.

Maybe thats a better way to put it.

:eek:

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode, good story.

12. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I forgot about that story until just now, it's been a few years since I first read it.

I love dogs too.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Loved it Sal, good story.

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Wonderful story & comment, Sal, thanks :)

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Not a problem Sal ,he prints out copies of your picture to sharpen his claws on:)

16. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    standing ovation!!
    thanks for sharing
    Larry

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great story Sal

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I didnt write it, just found it.... But as a dog's best friend I do feel the need to stick up for em. I may be able to out think em but they can outhunt, outsmell, and outeat me any day.

They are a God-given gift. There is no doubt in my mind. I 100% wouldnt doubt it when I die if I ask Adam up in heaven what he did for friendship before Eve, and he replies, "well it was me and God and when God was doing other stuff, it was me and my dog."

Im THAT convinced that dogs were made to be our friends.