The Best Squirrel Recipes You Have Tried

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Angler4life, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A few days ago, I cooked the best squirrel I've ever eaten. I got a recipe off the internet. I wanted to make it in the crock pot throughout the day to make it easy to cook. The recipe included soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, water, garlic, and salt and pepper. I had three squirrels, which I quartered and let cook on low for eight hours. I used flour to thicken the gravy and I decided to cook rice to put it on. I'm sure mashed potatoes would have been good also, but that's just what I had. I spread the squirrel and gravy over the rice and I'll have to tell you, that was the best, most tender squirrel I have ever eaten. What good squirrel recipes do you have that I might try next time?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Sounds good,Drew. Why dont you put this in a recipe format and post in diner? I'm sure more would love to have it.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    fried in flour, buddy! can't beat it.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    ditto!!!

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tree rat and dumplens. Squirrel par boiled till tender with red pepper and salt. Debone meat add back to stock and drop in dumplens. MMMM-MMM

6. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Best I have ever had was the way my mom and grandmother use to make it for me. Boil Squirrel salt and pepper until it is falling off the bone. Leave the Squirrel the broth and thicken with a flour water mixture, and cook a while longer until it thickens. pour over cat head biscuits for breakfast. I love the stuff but neither my wife nor I can get it to taste quite as good as moms or my grandma's use to taste.
    Four of the guys I use to work and I with would go on a 3-4 day hunting camping trip in W.Va and we would always have Squirrel and gravy . Sometimes we have even added grouse and rabbit to the mix and cooked over a wood camp fire it was delisous.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's the favorite in this house!

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Old one we had squirrel and dumplins Young ones we fried.
    I would like to have a good stew recipe.