The Best Reel Ever !!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by river_rat_42, Sep 7, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been using the Abu Garcia Ambasseduer 7000C3 for about a year now. I have caught lots of catfish on this reel, which I have set up on a 9ft. med./hvy. action bass pro brand Catmaxx rod (great rod by the way). I caught my personal best catfish on it.... 23lb. blue cat. This reel is worth every single penny that I payed (100$) and I would not trade this reel for anything. My fav. feature, besides its smooth as silk, no bird nesting, and long-distance casting, is the bait-clicker. It is really loud and it is a very handy little addition for all my catfishin' trips. Did I forget to say that it is also the greatest and most wonderful sound in the world, lol. But, anyways, I mainly just wanted to ask you guys what your favorite reel is, and if the fellas that have the Ambassaduer 7000C3's like it as much as I do??? Thanks

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Craig, I've had two 6500 for years now. I'm sure there will be a 7 or 9 even a 10 in my futrue. lol But any reel is only as good as you treat it.:smile2:

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have a ton of abu reels they are all wonderful no complaints

4. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I agree. They are one of the best.

If I could change one thing it would be to reduce the tension needed to trigger the clicker. It takes quite a bit of force, and for light biting fish the clicker is useless. I fish with a guy that took out the clicker and shaved it down a bit to reduce the force needed. Works good now.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Can't go wrong with ABU:smile2:

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darren, I'm not a baitclicker user myself, but do understand the workings. You say your friend lightened his up? That would be fine until you tried to use that rig in current, then you will have to tight line. Just a thought. Vern

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Darren, Before you go to that much trouble try this. On the same side as your handle there is a silver knob this adjusts the brake. It sounds like you have this tightened down to much not allowing it to free spool. For fish that are spooking easy I'll throw out then back off the brake so the fish feels little resistance just remember to re-adjust when you cast out to limit bird nest problems. The way I adjust the brake for casting is I'll rig up with hook and sinker then back the brake off a little at a time until the sinker free falls to the ground but after it hits it does not release any more line. I know some people that remove the brakes all together but I have to many bird nests when I've tried it but it will cast alot further.
    The sound of the clicker has to be one of the most addictive sounds I've ever heard. I use 6000 and 6500's on the boat and have two of the 7000's and 1 9000 that I use for bank fishing. I always set the clicker unless I'm in swift current then you just have to lock the reel.

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only own two Abu's, the 7000c3 and the 6000. I prefer the 6000 by far. The 7000 doesn't cast nearly as good as my 6000. I've played with the tension and everything, I just can't get it to cast as far. Someone else might be able to pick it up and throw it a mile though. It's probably the user and not the real. I also prefer the clicker on the 6000 too. It is a lot lighter. I have my 7000 knob for the clicker so loose it is going to fall off someday. Even with it that loose, I could use a 10 inch piece of live bait and it won't be able to take any line on it's own. My Ugly Stik Tiger medium heavy action actually bends pretty well before I'll ever hear the clicker. In the future, I'll stick with the 6000's and 6500's. The 7000 might be a little too big for the river I fish anyway.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have two 7000C3's on 7' m/h tiger rods and they do cast easy when adjusted for the weight you're going to cast and like all baitcasters you have to readjust before you cast each time you change weight, even when going from a small bait to a large bait. The distance also depends on the type and size of line you're using. I also like the clicker system in conjunction with the drag for fishing but I mostly use circle hooks which has to load up the rod to work anyway.

10. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Guess I'm in the minority. They're fine reels, but far from the best. Honestly, I think they're overpriced. There are much better reels for just a bit more money.

11. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i love my abu's but ive always been a penn guy lol

12. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have to agree, i have an assortment of penns, and abus and the 7000c3 blows them all away. I use 65lb power pro on a 7'6 big cat rod, i have no problems casting over 100 feet with 5oz of lead. The clicker does take a little more to pull on, but thats perfect for me because of the current in the Ohio River. The reel looks good, sounds good, is priced good, and handles fish well.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Got 3 of the 7000HSBG on my 16' rods. No problem throwing them at all... Go a county mile. Have to yell "FORE" before I cast so the guys on the other bank can watch out I don't hit them. Got 6000's on the 2 - 15 and 1 - 14 foot rods, 6000's on the 2 - 12' rods and two 6000's on the 8' rods. Then I have an arsenal of older 5000's to back all of them up. I really like the ones with clickers. The ones without are for circle hooks and I very, very seldom will fish with circle hooks. As the post a long time ago said, circle hooks, automatic pole holders, and what not, and you taken everything out of fishing except reeling them in... and you could probably hook some type of motor to the reel handle if you really wanted to. Nope, I like the good old days.

14. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, my buddy uses a Penn and he fishes with me all the time. I think sometimes he wishes that he had my reel (Abu 7000C3). I just dont see how you could NOT like this reel. Then again, I guess I have not used every reel in the world so I wouldn't know if there were better reels. But like 'rodpod' said, the Abu 7000's are perfect for me because of the current in the Ohio River if it were any easier to pull out it would be buzzin' and screamin' all the way down the river. Plus, I have had the clicker runnin' like crazy before and end up pullin' in an ol' 3 or 4lb. channel. But, anyways, thanks everyone for the repplies.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I love the abu 7000 c3's, I recently tryed out a 7000 big game leverdrag, And like it even better. I've bought two now! the LD 7000 has an extra bearing so its a little smoother then the c3's.

16. just_joe

just_joe New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What reels in your opinion are better? I am getting ready to buy an abu garcia 7000c3 but would like to be sure i'm getting the best for my buck

17. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I really like the Shimano Cardiff, and I suspect the Corvalus would work well too. I just like a reel to be more smooth than the Abu's seem to be. My 10000 has the worst drag of all my reels, by far. My old Big Irons have the best, but are no longer made. I also plan to get new bearings for the 10000 to see if that makes it feel any better. However, at $140 I shouldn't have to replace anything on a new reel.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I hate the 6500's. but i love the 7000's, i wouldnt trad eit for anything

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe to provide an answer with the subject of the thread as it is... I would say the best reel ever was the Zebco 33. This reel probably converted more people to fishing than the cane pole. The only thing wrong with this reel is when they went to improve the reel and make it more profitable for Zebco, they really messed it up with all the plastic. Get one of the old 33's and it is still good for fishing today. It even landed some horses in its day.

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hard to classify a reel as "the best reel ever" without classifying them either baitcasting, spinning, etc, and size of fish yer goin for. I love the ambassadeurs. i have several from 4600 up to the 6500, but they wouldnt be my favorite for catching perch or minnows, nor would i use it to free shrimp
    ( no weight or cork, just hooked shrimp). now for fish up to say 25 pounds i love em, however, for the big cats id have to go with a penn levelwind.