The best place in America to live and catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DH84, Dec 30, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    So im wondering where the best place would be in america if you love catching big catfish? Where would you vote as the best area to live in?

from what ive read i would say south west Missouri just below Kansas City or somewhere around central to western Tennessee..

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    From the looks of your avatar, ECity ain't no bad place.:wink:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm partial to Missouri myself:wink: I would love to be a bit further south so the winters would be a bit warmer though. And maybe closer to the Mississippi river.:big_smile:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There aint no place like home....I am happy with my back yard the Sipp and Des Mion river are less that couple three miles frome my back door-the skunk is within a hr.drive....we have a prety good fishery here!There bigger down south but we have some decent size hawgs round too so .......

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I would have to say Texas, even though I am biased. The winters are not near as cold or long. The blues are not quite as big as in the big river but there are plenty of them. A guy can catch plenty of eating sized channels in the summer, and the people are great. Sound like a bragger, don't I...LOL

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    While I am obviously biased, I think I live in one of the best locations, here at the confluence of the Missouri & the Mississippi Rivers. Central MO with the Osage river running from Truman Lake through Lake of the Ozarks and on to the MO River would be my next choice. All are premier locations. I have fished many lakes and they have their following for good reason. However, I am more inclined to fish a big river system. In a big river, that next bite could be a eatin size fish, or the next world record (caught right here in the St Louis area). If you are of a mind, fishing in the winter can be far better than any other time of year, providing you learn how to fish winter rivers. Not many other locations would allow you the luxury of thinking a 25 lb'er is a dink that stole your bait from a real fish. LOL
    Many folks I fish with here, would not bother photographing anything under 30 pounds. That in itself shows the locations quality.

7. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I would say north alabama on the tenn river........:wink:

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well I live in Ohio, but if i had my choice I would live in Paducah KY...You got KY Lake, Barkley Lake, Ohio River, Tennesee River, Cumberland River, and I think maybe the MS River all withiin a few hrs of each other, to me that is a catmans paradise.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang, thats a tough call and something I have thought about a lot before.

We fish year round here and we have multiple lakes that produce blues up to 60 pounds and flatheads up to 50 pounds regularly. Channel catfish are abundant and provide action packed days where catches of 30-40 are not uncommon.

There are probably ten different lakes within two hours that fit this criteria, and four within an hour of me.

So, with all that in mind, I guess I will stay right here in the Carolinas. :wink:

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alton, Illinois gets my vote.

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    the miss river at memphis tn is the best i reckon for large cats

12. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I think I am pretty darn lucky in that aspect to live where I live. I have what is probably one of the best stretches of the Mississippi from alton to st. louis within an hour. This particular stretch contains the confluence with the Missouri that according to many on here as well as the writers of In Fisherman is a perennial world class location for trophy blues. I also have the Ohio within an easy drive as well as numerous other great smaller rivers, not to mention the large quantity of large and small lakes alike. Then, just a few hours to the north, I have available to me, the rock river, which will be hosting it's first king kat tourney this june.

With all of that said, I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to fish the Santee Cooper lakes, the Cumberland river, The James River, or any others I've neglected to mention.

All in all I would have to say I am pretty lucky where I live. Now if I could just get a boat that is big enough to be safe on that big river, I could advantage of my location more fully.:wink:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think I'd have to pick the SW corner of Tennessee. Close to the Mississippi River at Memphis; close to Pickwick on the Tennessee River; close to Kentucky Lake. What more could you ask for? Oh, a small natural-type river? The Hatchie Scenic River isn't that far away.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with Dieter. While there are great fisheries all around the country, our Carolina area offers a great abundance of large fish in many spots within driving distance. Most importantly, our climate is mild compared to the rest of the nation, allowing for year around fishing.
    Bill in SC

15. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Some very good suggestions.. Missouri sure is a state that seems to revolve around the catfish, i wouldnt mind being somewhere closer to those big rivers too. We hunted snow geese above kansas city one year and drove across the ohio river on the way.. thats the biggest dag on river ive ever seen, i couldnt even imagine the size cats it could produce.

katmandeux that fish was caught down around wilmington but im still on the hunt for the big fish in EC.. gonna try and make the trip to the james in the morning if the weather holds out and i get everything ready in time.

16. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Well in a perfect world I could hold my breath for hours and sit right beside them in a logjam and I believe that's the best place to fish in the world!!
    Now excuse me I have to do my deep breathing exercises now!!! ROTFLMAO:eek:oooh:

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    So, you hold your breath for long periods of time, causing loss of oxygen to the brain, huh? Why did I always suspect that's what you did? LOL:wink:

18. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    uhmm errh welll you know kutter I uhmm erhh ahhh he he he!!

Me resembles that remark!!! :eek:oooh: Rotflmao

19. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    :eek:oooh: me really resembles that remark!!!

Now the light headed roach appears out of the fog of oxygen deprived madness and realizes something is askew before me!!

what's this me eye spies? it's me old mate kutter come a calling on the feeble dribblins of me self and doing purdy dang good at it!! rotflmao

wonder what happened to the old gang who could magically take a picture of you and in seconds you were in diapers? lmao Need to find those guys again lmao me had an idea:wink:

20. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i like the part of north al iam , just an hour from pickwick ,maybe two from memphis and the mississippi,and just minutes from the tenn river