The best leader line?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jul 19, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im using braid....

what is the best for carp?????

does it need to be soft???????

or does it need to be invisable??????

im really starting to get into carping!!!!!!

wanna land me the 20lb ers in our lake!!!!

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Leroy,

from what I have read on Carp fishing, the pros over in Europe all try to hide the hook and line. I would say most important is the leader be invisible or camo'ed up real good.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a bait for you to try if you want to catch carp. mix up some strawberry jello with double the sugar. add some yellow corn meal till it's pasty. make doughballs on treble hooks with leaders. freeze them and the jello sets up hardening them up nice. take a cooler to keep them cool. but dont worry about keeping them frozen. if you mix it right it will hold together really good. as a matter of a fact if you mix it right you dont need to prebait it on trebbles and leaders. you can do it on the bank. we used to carp fish for fun. when we wanted some surefire action. this stuff is awesome. when we fish our lowhead dam with the stuff we cant use 2 poles. and we've caught them a lot bigger than 20 pounds!!

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    as far as your leader goes. I'd use a 20-30 pound mono. (so you can break off snags) I never worried about hiding it. if you are, then use some of the dark green lines that are on the market. those virtually disappear under water..

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wish I had more experience with carp fishing afraid I cant be of much help

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im using camo braid so ill say its real nice for bottem fishing around rocky crap:crazy::wink:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey leroy i am using that 6# silver thread, with my drag turned down enough to set the hook but tight enough for a fish to take line. i have broke off a couple, but landed way more.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

im fishing in a trafic jam of boats and moving boats :crazy:

im using 35 lb gorilla tough line ( main and leader) and it turned a 5lb carp around like nothing.

sad to say but i think im liking braid more than my usual lighter # monos :embarassed:

if a 5 lb carp was was the size i caught yesterday ( industrail scales dont lie) then we have 15-20 lb carp in the lake.... and those are the size that i see.. cant imagin the ones hidden in the deep :eek:oooh:

i have a goal of breaking single the single digits before school starts:smile2:

NOTE: when fishing in a turist attraction you get alot of attention especally then a fish makes a big splash and people kept asking me what kind of fish is that and is it good eating:crazy:not in these waters :smile2: these are the real trash fish.... or sport fish :eek:oooh: thats what they are becoming to me :cool2:

9. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use 30lb Power Pro for leaders, and 15lb Big Game for the main line, maybe 20lb if it is snaggy. I prefer the 30lb braid because it is flexible but has some rigid properties that aid in making hair rigs. If I choose to add stiffness it takes a little super glue and I can modify whatever I have to fit the situation.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i made 7 hair rigs yesterday and they look promising.....

there about 9 inches long.... ill put a small bread ball on it with a piece of 40 lb mono for a stop :wink:

ill try'er out this weekend :smile2: breaking single digits is my goal:cool2:

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I always use stren gold even in clear water. The fish don't seem to mind the color. I just tie a #6 treble hook to the end of my line. I never use leaders.

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    sleekcraft,
    I use 50lb. Power Pro for my leaders and have found that they are supple enough to be fished in 90% of the situations that you will run into. Here in the USA, the Carp are not Lineshy! This then means that Line color or texture is not an issue. Yet, the thin supple line with Great Strength makes a BIG impact. My mainline is 80lb. PP and if I am hung-up, the LEADER will break first. If you needed to change the way the presentation was made with the PP, the use of Shrink tubing or rigg tubing could be used. The covering of the leader with these materials would make the rigg much stiffer when required. All of this is MHO, but knowledge gained from using the materials and watching others.

HOPPY4

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ive seen more hits on stuff thats soft, hard to see, and simple....

i dont know what the hell a boilie ( spelling) but i want my bait to have a (stinger ) to it.....i approach it as the have no clue theres a hook on that ball they just put in that mouth :wink: along with 35 lb line so they dont go anywhere....

i have a pretty good setup to try the next time we go out to the lake.....

also!!! NOONE HERE IN HAVASU FISHES FOR CARP at least ive never seen or herd anyone fish for them :crazy:

that means all the hawgs are left for me to catch......:wink::wink::wink:

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    sleekcraft,
    A Boilie is a formed food mix that has attractants, grain and other food products Carp find enjoyable. You can make your own or you can purchase from a vendor in MANY different flavors, colors and sizes. The principal behind the Hair Rigg is to have the fish suck the BAIT in and the Hook will catch on the way out! Additionally, as you are the only one fishing for the Carp in your area, You will be the On Site Exspert!!!! You will and should try as many different presentations as you can to keep the fish interested. Good Luck to you and keep the reports coming.

HOPPY4

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Maybe there is a Carp1.com you can check out, LOL.

Don't over complicate things with carp fishing. They are stupid and will suck anything off the top of the water early or late in the day. I don't use leaders for Carp because I don't fish on the bottom. I don't use a swivel either because the baits I use don't spin.

Carp here don't have any pressure on them like in Europe. Them folks over there have so many boilies on the bottoms of their lakes that they have to change up formulas to distinguish theirs from all the ones laying on the lake bottoms. Their methods are good but never the less more complicated because of the pressure.

I have some really good Carp sites saved. PM me if you want some good links.

-Jim-

16. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Sleekcraft I think part of it would depend on how clear your water is. Up here 6" is about all you can reasonably expect to see in the river. Lake is going to be clearer but in that canal it might be mudded up some.

You could try tieing your hair rig on mono if your worried about them seeing your line. But fish really don't seem to spook much from line as long as its not moving. And the braided is so nice and limp that it shouldn't be a problem.

As to finding the big ones, you might want to check other area's. Could be the canal is where the smaller ones hang out. Watch for big rolls, swirls, and splash's near that canal or in shallow water but close to deep water.

Carp seem to love to get up on the shallow edge to feed, but they want to be able to hide quickly.

17. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    I've had good luck with Maxima and Seaguar (if the water is very clear).