The BEST free weights..

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 14, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    For years I have melted down lead to make pistol bullets, muzzle loading mini balls, fishing sinkers and I even bought a lead shot making machine for reloading shotgun shells..I really love melting lead...haha..But you know one day, while melting some lead I dropped some in the pot that had some moisture on it and the whole melt exploded..burnt my arms and hands, another time I got extremely sick from the fumes and thought I was a gonner..and I even some how managed to hang my foot on the fish cooker and turn over a pot of melted lead once..its a very dangerous sport..Finally one day while melting down wheel weights..( I ran a ad in the paper wanting to buy scrap lead for a dime a pound..) the first guy that called asked how much I wanted...all you got I said.. the next day he pulls in with 800 pounds of wheel weights....I bought them..dont know what i will ever do with all of them but I told him I would take all he had...lol..back to the story..I was melting down wheel weights and for some reason I looked at the little steel clip with the hole in the center...yep..I bet I could just tie to that and forget all this other jazz..and sure nuff...they work like a charm...if you break one off..tie on another..it sure beats the heck out of buying weights for 1.00 a pack..the only drawback..if a real snooty high class fisherman sees you..he'll laugh...til you pull up your stringer...good luck!!

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Keith,
    Thats a good Idea.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    TWO YEARS AGO A CHEVY DEALERSHIP GAVE US 750 LBS FOR NOTHN.IT HELPS ON THE OL POCKET BOOK WITH GIFT LIKE THAT!:0a23:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From Badkarma: For a cheap no-snag sinker, break off the metal clip and drill a hole in one end of one of the larger tire weights. The long curved weight hangs up less often than a regular sinker or a tire weight tied to the middle of the weight.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    BlkCloud,

Here is what Jtrew is talking about, it's:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38853

With this particular method, you take a hammer and flatten one end of the tireweight, drill your hole, and break the clip off....Never tried it, but it's a super smart theory....Dwight

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive been tying to the clips for awhile, now I have a way of using the tire weights without the clips. I had a pot and die that I never used so I took it back. Wheel weights the way they are seem just as good to me.

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Go ahead and call me lazy..I just dont see the need to go through all the trouble of bending, breaking, and drilling holes when all you have to do is run your line through the clip and go fishing..I guess if we were talking about and expensive accessory I would probably feel different but a tire weight?? you would have to have a pound of them to make them worth a dime...:smile2:

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Some of the clips on mine are broken off or dont have a hole in them.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Keith, it's a matter of shape going through the water. A long skinny weight tied in the middle makes a fairly good anchor, which generally is NOT what you want. On the other hand, a long skinny weight tied at one end doesn't provide much chance for it to hang up. Same principle as those flexible 'no-snag' sinkers. That's one of the reasons I use a nail for a weight on my jugs.

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I use a nail for a weight on my jugs.

Now that my friend is a capitol idea...THANKS!!