The BEST Flathead story I've ever read!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfeveriowa, Nov 21, 2007.

1. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    This is the best flathead story I've ever read and happens to be my home state record. Is it a 48 year record or 15 year record you decide? Be sure to read the last paragraph brought tears to Joe's, and my eyes. Not real sure how to put web address in a post and if it doesn't work hope somebody does it for me. www.mindspring.com/~cosmojo/grandpa/story.htm

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    That sure is a great story. Thanks a lot for posting it-Jim-

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Bill, I don't think I've read a better fish story all year. I just want to remind all you other guys out there pursuing large Flatheads, Have a plan on who you have to call to get it registered, what photos or measurements they will need, and who you need to call from the state to come out an verify the species. (Which I know is not needed for an 80lb flat lol) But the record keepers need an unbiased source for identification lol. Then you can release said trophy back into the depths, and dare some other guy to try and catch him in a year or so lol.

4. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    WOW! That's strange, I just came across this just a few hours ago myself while researching flathead waters......what a coincidence........:eek:oooh: Here is a picture of his record 81 pounder. Pretty cool! Just think how big that fish might be today!!!

http://www.mindspring.com/~cosmojo/grandpa/record.htm

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Looks like you catch some nice fish yourself Jerry lol. Nice avatar

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Great fish--Great story--Great pics Many thanks!!

7. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Ya I read this story about 3 years ago, it is what got me interested in flatheads!!! I had to go get me one, but you just dont go and get one. You have to learn how and then put your time in trying, getting off the couch, right Rollo:wink: Took me 3 years to catch my pb of 31 lbs. this year. Which was after finding the BOC the coolest site ever and all the great info you guys share, Skip, THANKS. Also would like to give some credit to Larry Trescott who's been fishing the Missouri for over 20 years now, who Iowa Fish and Game did a story on. Who I've had the pleasure of fishing with several times now. It would have been nice if Joe Baze used CPR but we didn't have the BOC back then helping to promote our sport. Hey Jerry those are 2 nice looking pigs in your avatar would really like to hear that STORY!!!!

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Billy, Once I found the In-Fishermen Catfish-Insider magazines I tried to order every back issue they had. The girl on the phone was nice and got me 5 issues, but I missed out on 7 or 8 others. Anyway in one of those issues was an article by Doug Stange. This was back before 99. Maybe 98, I cant remember cause I lent that issue out to someone and never got it back. And to this day don't know who lol. Anyway, He was talking about a guy that contacted him about GIANT Flatheads. They only talked by E-mail and phone. After the guy died, Doug tried to get his family to let him tell where he caught these fish. They wouldn't tell him where he fished, but Doug did tell his story. Even though he didn't know where the old guy was fishing, He new what he was doing.
    It goes like this sorta, cause I can't remember every detail lol. (If someone has this article, I'd like a copy please). This is why I continue to fish for GIANT flatheads. The old guy fished below a big dam on one of our large rivers. He would free-line a 3lb carp, (pulling the line to get it going), until it swam the 300 yrds up to the dam. Since you couldn't get boats that close. This old guy had a KAYAK that he cut in two, he drug it beside his boat. He used it to "beach the Flatheads he caught" pulling them into the Kayak like a cradle. Long story short: Doug asked the guy how big was the biggest fish he had caught this way. The guy said you couldn't imagine the size of fish I catch. Doug wrote that he could imagine plenty big, but he never got the chance to fish with this guy before he died. If any of you have read or seen Doug Stange, I for one don't think that guy could ever tell a lie lol.

9. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Skip never heard that story on catching GIANT flatheads but I like it!!! Even got a goooood spot to try that. Got every video on catching cats from In-Fishermen and about 4 issues of the Catfish-Insider good stuff.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I know one of our BOC brothers has to have that article. It's just what a die hard catfisherman would have. I'm just at a loss as to what the title was, I'm hoping someone out there has read this article, or maybe has it in a pile in the corner somewhere lol. It would be a great thing to post on here.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great Story, I'm glad his family got the flathead recognized for him. Later Andy

12. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Man now that's good reading....great that his family got his feat recognized fer him.....

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That man sure looks like a likeable guy. Reminds me of people I would like to hang around. A "square shooter" so to speak. I have seen flathead heads hung on many river cabins around here and in other parts of the state. Like guys hang racks or drops. I have seen some big heads. There has to be some big fish caught that we never hear about. Somebody was complaining on the Iowa thread that nobody yaps too much. Kind of typical for Iowa. But just seeing those heads tells me there is more "fun" fishing out there than we realize.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Awesome story with a great ending. Billy thanks for sharing.:big_smile:

15. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for the story Billy. It was great and I appreciate you for sharing. Reps are on the way bro.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What a flathead. Glad he got the record after all those years.

17. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Great story, thanks for posting

18. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hi i'm new to boc an wan't to say it's been a pleasure fishing with you. I never thought i would find someone that enjoyed the river as much as i do. thanks Billy D.

19. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Ya I really like fishing the river with you also. And THANKS for showing and teaching me everything you have so far!!!! Next year I wont be working 7 nights a week and we will get more fishing in.