The best flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mudkat, Oct 13, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    let me know if you get an idea........:roll_eyes: j/k i got it off a site ..............................This is how I learned about the best flathead bait ever.
    Back in the summer of '85' my friends and I were floating down the South fork of the Big Nehama river. We were just floating along and fishing for channelcats. We came around a big bend in the river and started hearing a noise. Soon we could see where the noise was coming from. There was a big Maple tree that hung out over the river. It's lowest branch hung almost to the water. There on the end of the branch was a red squirrel. He was really scolding at something. When we floated closer we saw what he was scolding at. There in the water below him was an old stump and on it was a walnut that must have gotten there in the last high water. That walnut was what he was after. Well he finnaly decided to let go of the branch and jumped to the stump. Now he had his walnut. But now he didn't know what to do. The branch he was hanging from was to high to get back to and there was water all around him. He would look at the North bank and then back at the South bank. Both were a long way for him to swim. He finally decided to try to swim to the North bank and jumped in with the walnut still in his mouth. Then it happened, about half way to the bank a big old flathead catfish came up and swallowed him whole! I told my fishin' buddies " Quick,...lets go get some squirrels and come back here and catch that flathead". We started rowing down river as fast as we could. About 50 yards past the stump we heard another loud noise. We turned around just soon enough to see that big old flathead putting the walnut back on the stump.

2. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I always do great with bluegill

3. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    live goldfish works good for me

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Small live bluegills, goldfish, and if im too lazy to go fish for all that small stuff i will just go buy some jumbo size shiners. All have produced flatties for me. I guess the most important thing is that they are alive. And of course being in the right spot!

Wheelmobile07

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Sounds like it might work! Next time I see a walnut in the water I am gonna get me a squirel! lol. nice post

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a good one:lol: The flathead put the nut back on the stump:cool2:

7. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    that flathead was awful crafty using that wallnut. i wish i could find a natural bait that's as durable as an artificial lure:lol: . my only question is how many readers bit on that story. great post.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    that was a good one.

9. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    DYNOMITE!!!!!.................:after_boom:

11. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    nice story had me for a second

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have always been told that live chickens are the best flathead bait. lol:roll_eyes: Seriously, sometimes they want live shad, sometimes cut shad or skipjack, sometimes lively baitfish. Experiment some and find the best.

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

why not just use a zebra like me? hook that bad boy and cast em out there. then hang on for dear life cuz youll be catchin things that havent eaten since the dinosaurs were walkin around.

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good Story I might try the squirrell.