The best fishing line to hit the stores

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by moosman66, Jul 2, 2006.

1. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I was at the river the other day and one of my buddies got hung up about the same place that I've lost 20 pounds of sinkers. I said to him " rocks claim another one," then he said watch this, he put his thumb on the spool and started pulling it came loose. When he reeled it in the flat river sinker was just peeled back like you had took a knife to it. I said what kinda line you got on that thing, he said the gorilla braid. After seeing that I had to get some of that line. I found some at my local K-Mart store they have 80# for $19.99. came home spooled my reels and was ready for the river that night, I use no. 6 demon circle hooks by mustad. Dont you know I straightend one of these hooks out that night with the gorilla tough braided line. If you dont have any of this line get out their and get you some.
    Ok heres a web site you can check it out at

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Hmm That sounds pretty good to me. I've been thinking about switching over to superline and that might help persaude me a little bit more.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the post. Have you compared it to the Spiderwire or PowerPro braids?

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have seen it but never tried it. Now that I think about it I really do not hear much about it on here. But, I dont fish anywhere I would need 80# test. I am guessing any line that size would of done the same thing.

5. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    most of that braided line is hard on the guides on the rod because there ceramic least they were on my rod's...

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am glad you like the line..I cant make myself try anything new, I have been using biggame mono for years.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You'd better have ceramic or all metal eyelets on your rods if you use gorilla braid. I ruined a really nice bass pro rod by reeling in a 40lb. gar on gorilla braid. It ate up all the eyelets towards the end of my rod.

Jerrod

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I like Cajun Red, it has more memory then I would like but tough as nails.

I also like that new Ultra Mustad line, great line with low memory.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I would rather lose a few sinkers than mess up my rods.
    If I do get snagged, I don't want line so tough that I dislodge my ancor.
    As longs as I have a drag that works, I can't see using anything over 35 lbs with heavy leader line to my hook.

That's just me though... to each his own.

10. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Most of these problems with guide wear have to do with an inappropriate number of guides (too many) or inappropriate spacing. I feel this is a common problem with most catfishing rods today. More guides does not mean "better" as some people believe. Using more than you need makes your equipment (especially your line) work much harder than it needs to. After hundreds of hours of casting for muskies I've never had a problem with guides on even my cheapest rods. Even the stainless steel tip tops on my Gander Mountain rods are still in great condition, no grooves whatsoever, and they have seen tens of thousands of continuous casts with 4-6 oz. lures. Alright having gotten that rant out of the way, I would recommend the Cortland Masterbraid first for catfishing followed by Power Pro. The Gorilla braid is strong stuff, but the overall quality and characteristics are a little better IMO with the Cortland and Power Pro. I will also say though that most guys using braided line for catfishing will probably never see any tangible difference. All of them do their intended job.

11. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    ah phooey on the braided line! braids are for hair, try P Line mono...good stuff.

egg

12. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I use 30# Big Game on all my rods and have never had a problem.
    Anything heavier than that would be HARD to break if you really got hung up good, I would think.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    How Would Gorilla Braid Work As A Leader ? Please Let Me Know What You Think.

14. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    lol nicely put Egg. I like Big Game as well. But I think I may try out the Gorilla braid sometime when I need to respool just to see how it performs. The monofilament is always what I will mainly use though, because monofilament has always been here for me :smile2:

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    right on. i love my 30 pound Big Game. The best line for strength and virtually no line memory. good stuff!

16. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    im with you on that one. every year i go to get new line and usually grab some ande or youzuri. and i always walk out with my berkley big game.

17. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    From experience and nearly everything I have read, you don't want to use braided line for catfishing ... you ned the natural stretch of mono so when the cat turns or repositions the bait before the hook is set it doesn't pop out of it's mouth, mono has enough stretch to do the job where braided line has zero stretch and you end up missing a lot of fish (I had him but he spit it out)

18. Mudville

Mudville New Member

well i'm not comparing this to any of the lines mentioned before, but have any of you tried the berkley vanish? since i've switched to this line my strikes and hooking percentage have rocketed. it might not be the toughest but it is the sneakiest.lol.

19. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    Cortland spectron for me longer casts no breakoffs and i can use the line for a season then reel it off one onto another one and use it next season i use it on all my musky gear and cat gear strongest and best casting and handling line ive ever used.

20. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I bought braided line, and was lucky someone told me about it eating up the rod guides. It is 80# test gorilla braid. I use it down here in the river swamps to make bush hooks for channels. I don't mind if it eats the bark off limbs. It all boils down to, you have to take into consideration the structure in the lake of rivers you fish, and gear your equipment to suit you , and your specific needs. What will work on a big lake without a lot of structure, won't work in a river loaded with log jams, and tree tops. Thats part of what makes catfishing so much fun. It also gives you somewhere to go when the wife runs you off. Good fishin', Jack.