The best fish finder under $700

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by joer, Jan 26, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Have set a limit for myself not to spend over $700 on a fish finder. I know some of the best are in the $1200-$2000 range but I'm not a tournament fisherman. I just want to get on more fish. I've seen anything from side imaging to h.d. resolution. What is the most I can get in that range and what's the price difference between Lowrance and Hummingbird? They seem to have the same options but the prices differ? Which one is better? Also what is my best option for built in maps for fishing lakes? All the help is requested!

Thanks in advance.

2. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    I bought a new GPS/ sonar a couple weeks ago and love it. Its the Lowrance LCX27c. Go to Cabelas website in the Bargin cave. They are on clearance for $699.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe Humminbird is manufactured by Lowrence. At any rate, either are good serviceable units.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    I am in the exact same position, my budget is pretty much identical to yours.. man there is a ton of options. Have you narrowed down what unit to get?

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Joe, you should be able to get a pretty good one for that amount. Watch for BassPro and Cabelas clearance items. They occasionally mark some finders down. Lowrance has a few models with gps under $700. Not there newer models, but from a 1 year or 2 ago. Also, if you're not afraid of Ebay, I've seen a few of the Humminbird 797's go for right at $700. And this one has the gps and side imaging. Just take you're time and decide what you need most out of a finder. Good luck!

6. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    So far I am leaning toward the Lowrance 527c with internal antenna/gps. I have found one for $575! I like the 4000 watts of power and the built in maps. I played with a 522c at BP and it seems to do everything I need! Most of the deals have been on-line but I got lucky and our local boat dealer offered to sell me the same unit for the same price!

7. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    nice.. i have looked at that unit, I would love to have one with the bigger screen, but for the price you sure can't beat that. I'll be ready to buy in the next week or two, so hopefully i will be able to fall into a deal like that as well.

8. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    $499.00 at Cabelas

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Tim I saw that one! It's a great price but it's a 2400 watt unit and in my research I learned the higher the wattage the better. I think I know why but not real sure??....thanks for the heads up!

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Joe, that would be a good one for you. The 4000 watts is the ticket. Then you could buy some catfish gear with the extra $125!

11. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Joe you may have purchased one already but I bought the lms525cdf last year. It was @ $740 with tax and shipping. Its basically the same as the 527 except it has an external gps. Mine is also a dual frequency unit. I have been very pleased with the unit and have no complaints. The screen is very clear and easy to read in any light conditions even direct sun. I have found some nice places to fish and found a few nice fish also. If you are dead set on the $700 then the 527 may be the way to go. The only thing that gets me is right after I purchased mine they came out with the broadband sounder and I thought of getting one but didn't. Good thing because the new units have it built in. With all that being said if I had it to do over I would have kept using the old unit long enough to save enough for a si unit. Just hard for me to justify guving $700+ for a unit then a year or so later give $2000 for another one. If I could afford it I'd get one anyway.

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I bought a boat a couple of years ago and was waiting to get the fish finder. My boat dealer sold me a used Lowrance X 25 for about half the price of a new one. He takes the more expensive finders off a trade in and sells the unit separately for a much cheaper price. You might contact some dealers to see if they have any used units.

13. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I have decided to bite the bullet and buy the new line!! I like the broadband sounder, just like shadguts was talking about, and the available sattellite weather and sirius radio. Also I went with the 'Insight' package that gives you a 3D view of lake bottoms and contours. If any of you are considering buying a fish finder PM and I'll share what I have learned in my research.....

Thanks to all for your input!