The Best Filet Knife

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by healthydrink, Nov 12, 2008.

1. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    What is the best fillet knife?

I would like to know what is the best manual fillet knife to own and why?

What is the best electric fillet knife to own and why?

I am having a hard time getting the cheap Walmart knives to stand up to Blue cat filleting.

I bought a Walmart American Angler and it only lasted one fish. I was careful with the blade and did not store it recklessly. To my knowlege these blades only touched the fish. When I tried to fillet my next fish it would not cut the meat & caused a heck of a mess and wasted some fillets this did not make me very happy at all. I did not and do not cut through the bones. I fillet around them.
    Any one want to sound off on this I would appreciate your replies.
    :confused2: Thanks Brad

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Brad,
    The only knives I use are for cutting bait with bones and all and there is more chance that I will lose or break them before I wear them out so I don't buy the really high dollar ones. I do believe though that you get what you pay for with knives so if you are only going to use it for filleting you might think about getting a really good one that will hold an edge.
    Quite a lot of the guys I know who fish for the frying pan use electric knives. I guess it depends on if you have one decent fish or a stringer of small ones to do...W

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Brad,
    Meant to include this in the last post. It may be of interest:
    The Stanley fisherman and camping knife sets.
    I got these as a gift and since found more on ebay. I have had decent results from them.
    I have sent you the link in a PM...w

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I bought one of those same electric filleting knives your talking about. They aren't worth a dern. I went back and just bought a standard kitchen style electric knife from the housewares dept. I like them much better. Mister twister makes a good electric fillet knife I hear but I have never used one myself.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I bought this combo from Cabela's last year. I believe they will be the last manual fillet knifes that I'll ever buy. They hold a edge better than any knife I've owned. The smaller blade is great for all the 2 to 6 pound blues I fillet up each year and the bigger one if prefect for those nice size flatheads. The larger one also has a serreted edge on the first one inch on the tip of the blade. Prefect iffn you need to cut through a rib cage and not dull the rest of the blade. Not cheap but will last a lifetime...Knifes of Alaska are quality high grade steel.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive only used rapalas since I was a kid. They last and can be sharpened easily. Ive had the rubber and wood handled ones, i think the only difference is the handle.

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Can't help with the manual knife but the American Angler in the blister pack is the best electric available. It is the one that has the ergonomic handle that is gray and black in color. They come in 12 volt or 120 volt. Some Wal-Marts have them and Sportsman's Warehouses.Mister Twister, Rapala and the regular American Angler electrics are junk. I used to smoke 2 or 3 Mister Twisters a year and when the Rapalas came out I could smoke one of them with one good cooler of blues. I can get 2-1/2 to 3 years from the AA. I fillet about 200 5 to 12 pound cats and around 300 crappie every year.

8. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Well I had 7 to clean last night and broke down and bought the Rapala kit at Wal Marts for $40.00 the one that is 12 volts and has a house adapter. It worked pretty good on those 7 went through them like soft butter. I also remembered I had an old set of knives that had one handle and about 7 blades that was my dads. I dug them out and they were Kershaws. It had one blade that is a fillet knife about 9 inches long, this was a little long but I hit it with the old sharpener and away we went. Man that is one good blade. Thanks for all the comments. I will let you know how long the Rapala lasts. I remember seeing Ol Tiny using the Rapala one when I went with him on Keystone awhile back. He cleaned 30 fish that night and it held up pretty good. I hope I have a good one.:roll_eyes:

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    For the manual knife I use the Rapala with the wood handle. I bought one in the early 90's and it lasted until last summer when I somehow misplaced it. I bought another one to replace it and still use it. It even sharpens real quick with the $1 "v" sharpeners in the fishing section.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We use to use electirc & 12volt fillet knives threw them all out:eek:oooh::tounge_out: I learned the hard way to invest in a fillet knife that will hold an edge for a while....The best manual i ever had was a bone-handle uncle-Henry 12inch you could shave with that baby!!:wink::smile2: Until someone releaved me of it without permission!!!:confused2::angry: I replaced it with the 12inch old-timer signature series...me & johnny both have one..they hold an edge pretty good & we clean several blues each trip out:wink: They are a lot faster than electric or 12volt.... I believe the old-timer was around 30 bucks....

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like Rapala. But I am using several now, One of my favorite is a no name from K mart that cost .99 I got it for a bait knife,but it stays in the kitchen now.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bait knives get left in the boat all year, and also tend to get lost easily, so I buy the cheapest I can find. For many years I used an electric knife to fillet cats the standard way, making the initial cut right behind the gills down to the backbone, then turning the knife to run it along the backbone to the tail, cutting through the ribs. Then, a few years ago, a BOC member made a post showing a different method of filleting. I love it, and have used it since. Position the knife blade on a line running from just behind the knot around the top spine to just behind the anus. Cut straight down to the spine, turn the knife and run it along the spine to the tail. Flip the boneless fillet over and fillet off the skin. It's so much faster and easier you won't believe it till you try it. Wasted meat? On cats under 5# or so, you won't waste a good mouthfull of meat on a fish. On larger fish, it's easy to fillet out the finger of meat laying alongside the spine, just above the ribs. On a 10# cat, this will give you about 2 additional bites of meat per side. While you can still use an electric knife to do this, it's so easy to use a manual knife that you may prefer to keep the electric knife in the drawer. Even if you do use the electric, not having to cut through the rib bones will keep the blades from getting dull and the motor from wearing out so quickly.

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I used to have a mister twister for about 15 years before I lost it. It would cut up deer or fillet perch like nothing else. Wish I could find it.