The best channel catfish river in Ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by adamj, Jan 14, 2009.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST RIVER IN OHIO FOR CHANNELS, SIZE AND QUALITY?

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I usually dont fish a whole lot of rivers but ive caught some good channels out of the Muskingum and Mohican rivers.

3. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I WOULD HAVE DONE A POLL BUT THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES..........:smile2:

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    The Maumee gets my vote. I have spots where on a good night I can get em as fast as can throw my line in, including several 10-15 lbers a night. Love that fight on anything over 10.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I won't argue with the Maumee. I have seen many nice pictures from that river. If you want quantity come to the Muskingum and throw liver, cutbait, or anything,,,, including left over food! You can't get away from them darn fish!!!! LOL.... rollo

6. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I agree with you on quantity Jason. I've caught alot of small and medium size channels out of the Muskingum, along with a few over 10 and 12 lbs last year. We'll see what this year offers up...

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sad thing is, I only fish in the daytime for channels, at nighttime even on livebaits they often are a nuisiannce.. Gotta sometimes run them big livebaits to keep em away! LOL. I never thought years ago, you would have to change your style , so you wouldn't catch fish! :smile2: rollo

I think the channels on the Muskingum are actually overpopulated, and you would probably catch more bigger fish than a 3-5 pound average if they weren't.. ...rollo

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You can if your with me LOL

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    great miami gets my vote size and quantity

10. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
  11. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i love to fish in the st joe:smile2:

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Hard to answer this one. Springtime can be great fishing on the northern rivers flowing into Lake Erie.

13. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think most of the rivers are good at specific times but I have to vote for the Maumee

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I am the lone voice for the great miami:smile2:

15. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Only someone who's regularly fished ALL the larger rivers in the state could truly say which is the most productive overall for channels. But i'm pretty sure based on sheer numbers (and most likely size as well) of fish it's gotta be the Ohio river. The Muskingum,Scioto,Maumee and Great Miami are all somewhat comparable but the Ohio Is in a league of it's own.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  17. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    the great state of Ohio has a excellent fishery for channels about all rivers are good to excellent, in my opinion ,of course most of my time is spent on the scioto and the big O, I have caught them from lake erie to the ohio river,

18. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I AGREE FOR SURE! I'M KINDA SPLIT MYSELF BETWEEN LAKE ERIE AND ITS TRIBUTARYS AND THE MAUMEE. I HAVE FISHED THESE THE MOST SO ITS HARD TO SAY

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    great miami here one i throw liver usually for channels on the gmr largest was caught was 14lb on a half of a hot dog and also caught 5 or 6 channels in a hour on the gmr. Again fishing pressure is their but a good river

20. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Iv got this nice little hole on the little miami river that produces 8 to 10 pounders on a regular basis.