The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and bought the reel I've been wanting to try for a long time. The Komodo ss 364p is beautiful piece of equipment. I'm pairing it with a 7' MH Mojo Cat. It is as light as most bass combos but has the strength to catch the biggest fish in freshwater. I'm excited to see what this thing can do! This could be one of the best pairings for bumping. Let me know what yall think.

Attachments

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to decide what line to put on it. Any suggestions? I don't typically use braid but it might be the best option to get the most out of the reel. Other option I was considering was 30lb whisker seeker mono. I read where it has the same diameter at 20lb BBG.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I don't have a suggestion as I don't use the bumping method but I have heard being able to feel the bottom is important in the process, I have also heard braid transmits better. Once again take her out and keep us posted on how you do.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,078 Posts
Braid for sure. It has less drag than mono so your line stays tighter and more in touch with the bait which is critical to detect bites and feel the bottom. It also transmits strikes much better than mono due to not having stretch. No stretch is also a huge plus in setting the hook when the strike does occur. You may have 100+ yards of line out. That brings in the point that you can get much more braid of higher poundage than mono on a reel. All the pluses go to braid for bumping.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Traders Point, Indiana USA
2,078 Posts
Line drag is a factor to take into account when bumping, and thinner braid causes less line drag. You can use the line drag as a kind of parachute to help walk bait. I use Power Pro 65lb on my Tekota 600HG that I use for bumping. Keep in mind that bumping/walking can use a lot of line, and I wouldn't recommend mono for that reason.
Your setup looks like it will be comfortable and powerful. Holding the rod in your hand for an hour or more at a time demands a light combo. I use the Tekota on a Shattered Cat bumping rod and that tiny looking rod muscled in the 58lber in my avatar just fine.
The technique of bumping is something I'm still working on myself. depending on the current you need more or less weight and the size of your bait can also effect the pull the current has. I like the Kentucky rig with a bell or cannonball sinker using a 20lb line to the sinker. I use 60lb mono for my leader with a bead chain swivel on the leader line to prevent twist.
And be prepared for the amazing feeling that too often is only afforded to rod holders!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts