The best big Blue catfish lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by howard2119, Mar 30, 2009.

1. howard2119

howard2119 New Member

State:
    ohio
    What is the best lake in Ohio to catch big blue cat.

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    CJ Brown is a pretty good lake for blues.

3. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    there are no blues in any lake in ohio unless you are fishing a paylake

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was gonna say huh????:eek:oooh:...I didn't know there were any blues in CJ?? I have heard rumor after rumor that they are in East Fork Lake. Actually had a guy at my house looking at an outboard who lives right on the lake and swears to it...I don't doubt there are some in there, but just not a high population of them. We have caught them in the Little Miami, so it seems possible for one to make there way into that lake. Be a heck of a trip, but I wouldn't put it past them. It sure would be nice to have a lake around here thats full of them like they do down south..:roll_eyes:

5. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Actually, Hamilton county parks stocked Blues in some of their lakes. Winton Woods and Lake Isabela I know for a fact have a decent population of blues. I spoke with a parks official who said when they release the trout... the blues are easiest to catch. Someone fishing with trout head caught 2 blues over 30 pounds in Lake Isabela.

6. RiverFever

RiverFever New Member

State:
    ohio
    Lake Isabella is just a PayLake ran by Hamilton County,The Blues that are stocked arent Fingerlins but are purchaed from commercial fisherman just like any other paylake.

7. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Miami Whitewater also stocks Blues.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Boys, please read the rules.

BOC/ rules
    3. Product Marketing

B. Paylakes: Paylakes mentioned by name will be removed from the BOC, or have the post edited to remove the name of the paylake out of the posts.

Please don't make the staff work any harder than they have to now. It's our responsibility as good members to be familiar with the rules and moderate ourselves for the good of the site. Thank You. :wink:

9. RiverFever

RiverFever New Member

State:
    ohio
    Gotcha Mister NetManJack,Winton Woods and Miami Whitewater are legit county lakes but since were talking about Blues I dont believe Winton Woods even though its a Big Lake has Enough Deep Clean water to support a Spawning Blue population, Miami white water possibly could but the point is the Blues that are stocked each year or originally stocked came from commercial fishermen.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well said:wink:

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought that Miami Whitewater doesn't stock Blues anymore, the ones there are just leftover from when they did used to stock them. I have never caught a blue out of that lake but I tear up the channels there.

12. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of no lake that have Blues in them here SE Ohio.I'm aware that a lot of fishermen think a male channel is a Blue because they have a flater head,bigger mouth and have a silver bluish color.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The differance between channels and blues are determined by their annal fin, not by color or shape of the fish because those are similar. There have been some blues caught in CJ Brown near the dam in deeper water, I don't know about any other lakes, I only fish a few of them. I mostly fish the Ohio river.

14. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    You can call the ODNR and they can tell you that the state has never stocked any Ohio lake with blues. So, if any one catches a blue in an Ohio lake it was put there by someone other than the ODNR.

15. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thanks Jack you said It all!!!:wink::tounge_out:

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Blues and flatheads are taken from the Ohio river and put in lakes more times then the DNR knows about as well as being sold to paylakes which is illegal and the DNR can't seem to do anything about that either.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

There's so much of that going on Its not even funny! As much as it goes on they have to know about it yet there is nothing being done about it...:sad2:

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just read an article in the Ohio Outdoor News that Mentions the planned stocking of Blues in Dillon res.
    The chief DNR biologist, Elmer Heyoob stated that in the past the DNR stocked Blues in Alum Creek Res, and Buckeye lake. But they could never find any on annual shocking surveys. So the practice was discontinued.

19. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Again, Hamilton County stocks blue catfish. Wether you call them paylakes or not, they are in there. I would think that they could reproduce in some of the Lakes they stocked them in years ago. Hamilton County parks has Blue Cats on their stocking list for this year.

20. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Ding Ding Ding you got it an there are several blues stock at certain lakes for sure