The Benefits of Using a Guide Service

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by pop pop, May 29, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    The Carolinas have four of the best Guides in the country. Capt. Chris Simpson of Fightin Da Blues Guide Service, Capt. Ron Howard of Santee with Roundhill Guide Service, Capt. Rodger Taylor of Catfish On Guide Service and Mac Bryrum of Fishing with Mac Guide Service. What sets these guides apart from the rest is not just their ability to catch cats anywhere they go, but their willingness to teach and educate their clients. They are also some of the best people you could ever hope to meet.

I’m a lifelong catfisherman. Been doing it as for back as I can remember. I’m no pro or expert. But I’m a better catman today than I was before I went fishing with a guide. I went with the purpose of learning. Capt. Chris knew I wanted to learn so he educated me. I got an education that now pays off anywhere I fish. It pays off week in and week out, year round, and is worth its weight in gold. I’d like to share some of the things I’ve learned. I learned how to drift and some new anchoring techniques. Most importantly, I learned where, when and why. You can read books, magazines and watch videos. I’ve done it, and they have their merits. But nothing beats sitting down with one of the Professors of their chosen field face to face. I’ll fish with Capt. Chris Simpson again some this year. If God’s willing and a disability check will allow it, I’ll fish with the other 3 guides in the next 12 months. The guides I’ve mentioned are the Professors and the Educators. I’m 44 and never too experienced to learn.

So, as the weather has warmed, I’ve noticed a lot of posting from people in the Carolinas and other states with questions on our great fisheries here. With that being said, the best advice I can give anyone in 2008 is hire these guides. Not only will you catch fish, but if you want to learn, they’ll teach! The lessons you’ll learn will serve you well for the rest of your catfishing life.

Pop Pop

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great post.

I have been lucky in that I have partnered with three of the guides you speak of; ChrisBlue, Mudkip, and LakeNormanBlues. My experience with these guys has taught me a lot.

A trip with a guide should be about more than filling a cooler with fish. If all you want are fish then you are better served going to a fish market! A trip with a guide is, as LakeNormanBlues says, about the "Three E's"; entertain, educate, enjoy. The good guides provide all three "E's".

For some folks all they are looking for is a day on the water, while some are wanting to learn techniques that they can use on their next trip. Like Pop Pop said, reading about a certain technique is one things, but to go out and do it and have confidence in it is another thing. A good guide will know what works and have the confidence to stick with it, and seeing that fish finally fold the rod over will give you the confidence.

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Very Well said Pop Pop and WylieCat, I agree!!:wink:

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have fished all my life, 90%of that was offshore. When I moved to Charlotte I hired Catfish On to try to learn a few things since I didnt know where to start on the local lake(Wylie). I learned more that I thought I would. Even if you think you know it all there is always a new way, better way, or a differnt way of doing things that hiring a guide can help you figure out. Hiring a guide for a new body of water can actually pay for itself in the long run. They can show you areas to target that might take you 3 tanks of gas to figure out for yourself.

Most guide that I have come across arent there for the money only. They want to teach and help others learn

5. QBQ

QBQ New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I couldn't agree more also. I moved to the area a few years ago and just this year wanted to get back into some serious fishing in my new state. I had the pleasure of fishing with Chris Blue and he has definetly pointed me in the right direction. I hope to be on the water soon with my rig.
    I hope to fish with the others and Chris again in the near future.
    We are very lucky in my opinion to have gentlemen that will save us plenty of wasted time and show us the ropes.

6. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    Hey guys, i need as much help as I can get catting my area (which is basically nothing unless i want to drive an hour or so to wylie with gas outrageous). How do I book one of these guides mentioned and how much do they charge? I sure would love for somebody to pay me to fish haha. My main concern here is price. no since in finding out what they have to offer if i cannot afford it haha!

tight lines

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Look in the guides section of this website. They all have sections there. Im sure they will chime in with their info also.

8. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    WELL SAID POP POP You have named some of the most learned and nice people who Just Happen to be guides in SC. As you said they not only want you to catch a few fish but their main reason is for you to have a day of FUN and PLEASURE ,if you want to learn they teach, or if all you want to do is sit and catch fish that's ok too.
    But if you are coming down and have't fished here in any of the lakes I would say by all means try to hire one of these guy an your first few days because as they say "the rest will be history." :006:

9. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have noticed that many of the posters here are not originally from the area they are fishing. I just wondered how many were. Not that it makes any real difference, just curious. I grew up in the Ft. Motte area and typically assumed that most of the guys fishing in my area were local but recently I have realized this is not necessarily the case. There are lot's of ideas and tactics listed on this site that aren't what you grew up learning about just as there are some things you take for granted that everyone else knows that might only come from having fished these areas your whole life. All very valuable information.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    pop pop these guys paying you off to advertise for them:smile2:, I agree with you though. and now more than ever dang you cant go with a guide and increase your chances alot prob. as cheap or cheaper than going with your own boat with gas and bait on the rise the way it is.

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok which one of the 4 guides are gonna do the Hartwell guide for me , LOL ?

My fishing partner is a Striper guide...go figure that one..... my luck aint it, LOL. Never the less, he is good at what he does and I've learned a ton of information that I might not have ever learned.

So far I've had the pleasure to fish with Chris and I hope to get with the other mentioned guides some time, especially Mac since I cyber space know him the best ; )

Great post Doug. I think the replies already written have also summed it up pretty good All I can do is agree...... Guides are well worth hiring without a doubt.

-Jim-

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's a VERY good post, pop pop!!
    BB in SC

14. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I have learned so much fishing with ChrisBlue I couldn't even begin to tell it all. I owe my first tournement to him! I won it by learning proper drifting technigues and what to look for( gps coordinates!!!:smile2:). I think out of all the info I have gotten from him is to stay off the TRIM BUTTON!!!!! lol:smile2: A good guide is worth every penny you pay them!! I thought I knew how to catfish untill I took a guide.