The beautiful mountains of NC, take a vacation!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

On the ramblings thread, bootshowl mentioned Mammoth Cave in KY. I've never been there, although I've heard of it. Wow, it's the worlds longest cave system.....365 miles EXPLORED. I assume there must be more. Maybe someday I'll get to go there and experience that! :cool2:

Here in NC, we have Linville Caverns. I visited it long before the public school I attended took us on a field trip to that location, and have been there a few times since. I always enjoy it.

For anyone who's never been to NC, it IS a vacation wonderland. (Guess how I KNOW....I got that question incorrect on a test in elementary school! Heck, I LIVE/LIVED here. I didn't REALIZE that back then! :big_smile:)

Anyhow, here's some info regarding Linville Gorge, Falls, and Caverns.

I post this as a tribute to my dad. It was one of his favorite places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linville_Gorge_Wilderness

Don't know who these people are, but I like how he/she/they write(s).

http://www.northcarolinaoutdoors.com/places/mountains/linvillegorge.html

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/lin1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linville_Caverns

This place looks rather :cool2:, might be a good place to stay.

http://www.humpbackhollow.com

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those are fantastic,Tanya. If anyone is ever in the wonderful land of enchantment ,dont" forget to check out Carlesbad Caverns,great caves and a nightly BAT migration too.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    you are right nuten like thoes mountains im from thear was up thear last week i love it and ben to linville many times i drool every time i go in the cave and see the trout lol

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Tanya what part of NC. you from im from a little hole in the wal called Fletcher its between asheville and hendersonville

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tanya, you are so correct about NC. Thanks for the links. Nice to see you make a tribute to your dad.

Wish we could have seen all those places when we made our road trip through part of your state this past May. Now we'll have an excuse to go back. :wink:
    Here's a few photos along the way.

Attached Files:

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a friend I visit on occasion in NC and we drive by Pilot Mountain on the way, I`m going to have to get a better look at that place. Have you ever been to that mountain ?

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's a nice area as well Dallas; I've been through there. Fletcher is near Flat Rock right? I would like to visit the poet Carl Sandburg's home someday, and the Flat Rock Playhouse is quite famous.....least around these parts it is.

I think there's something entertaining and interesting to do just about anywhere in our mountains, but I don't even need that. Enjoying the scenery, camping/hiking, maybe takin' a dip in a COLD (and I mean COLD) mountain stream in the summer, catchin' a trout or two - can't beat it imo. After 40 years of memories, I still never tire of the experience.

But heck, I like the Outer Banks too. Guess I'm kinda partial to NC, as long as it's somewhere with water :wink:.

I live in Hickory, "gateway to the blue ridge".

Thanks for the pictures Dayton. :big_smile:

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

No Zeeb, sorry to say I never have. I've been through that area as well, but never stopped. It's up near the VA border, and more or less in the foothills (which Hickory is also, but further south). Pilot Mountain = Mt. Pilot, on the Andy Griffith show. Mount Airy is close by, that's where Andy Griffith was born and grew up (believed to be the town Mayberry is based on). They have a festival there yearly, think it's called Mayberry Days. I might have to try and get there for that sometime, sounds fun. :cool2:

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The picture I posted was Goober's truck at Mount Airy.. I had to reduce the picture and the writing on the door is not too clear.
    Heres another.
    And Barney's patrol car.
    We spent the night at Mayberry... I mean Mount Airy! :smile2:
    Neat place!

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks for sharing the info to the Gorge sis. I went there when I was a kid. I was born in N.C. and I used to go skiing at the Blue Ridge Mountains.
    I wished I still had some pics of that way back when...
    The Gorge is awsome to see ans the waterfalls are just beautiful.

:big_smile: