The BEAST Within . . .

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by KnotGillty, Aug 3, 2008.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I was in search of channel cats. We had visions of big fat ugly fish, fish that you wouldn’t want to swim with, fish that I sometimes dream about. We wouldn’t be disappointed.

We fished Clear Lake in Northern California for an overnight adventure. We hit the water about 2pm. This was a beautiful channel cat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here’s my buddy with a decent channel catfish.
    [​IMG]

I was really happy to land this fish as I normally don’t target bass at Clear Lake. It was caught in 15 feet of water. It’s been some time since I caught a nice largemouth. I was thrilled.
    [​IMG]

Now here’s where the story gets fun. I’m laying on the floor of the boat, trying to get some shut eye, when one of my rods suddenly goes off. I instantly know it’s a big fish and I slowly fight it back to the boat. My fishing partner won’t wake up and I’m stuck with this fish boatside, in the dark. It’s like 4am and I can see this beast just under the surface with my headlamp. I just stand there and lead him around for a while as I really want to make sure he’s beat before I stick my hand in the water to pull him out. I finally reach down and get my hand in his gill plate and start lifting. He didn’t like that and before I could even get the first two feet of his body out of the water he flexed, slipped off my hand, and made a mighty splash back in the water. So here I am again, leading the fish around in circles with my rod as I’m trying to figure out my options. I know two things for sure, I’m getting a picture of this fish & then I’m going to release it. Since I can’t wake up Jeremy to net the fish, I know there's no way of easily getting a picture. I know there is no use in taking the fish out of the water, so I lean over the boat and do a close inspection of how well he is hooked. My big circle hook is firmly stuck in the side of his mouth and I knew he wasn’t going to come unbuttoned. At that moment, the decision was made. . . . I put the rod back in the rod holder, gave the fish enough line to be a couple of feet under the surface, and laid back down for some rest. A picture was going to have to wait until daylight.

Fast forward to 6:30am and I’m telling Jeremy about the challenges I had during the night. “Dude, I busted off a fish that took off on one of your rods last night Jeremy, I couldn’t wake you up man. Also, I accidentally busted one of my poles in the dark last night when I leaned on it. That just plain sux. And oh yeah, I’ve got a big fish on that back rod over there. Can you help me net it.”

NET JOB ACCOMPLISHED!
    [​IMG]

It was a male channel cat, an old pig of a fish, with lots of scars on its body.
    [​IMG]

This fish had incredibly broad shoulders and was amazingly thick. It had big bulging muscles on it’s head and neck. What an incredible fish. After this pic we slowly slid him back into the water and wished him farewell. Thank you for the good time Mr. Whiskers. You are welcome in my boat any time you want to pay another visit.
    [​IMG]

We were off the water by 9am. Water temps were in the upper 70 degree range.

Tight Lines. . .

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    that is a nice onel. Congratulations!! Now you are telling us that the size 12 alarm clock would not wake him up. Next time, ring harder.:smile2::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

3. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Randy, Thanks for the report that is one nice HAWG.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report Randy! :cool2: I really enjoyed reading it and felt as though I was in the boat watching the action! :big_smile: Great pics, thanks for sharing! Nice Channel Cats!

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Well, I left out a big part of the story about a gentleman named Jim Beam.:wink: You see, in addition to fishing, we also took in a concert with the Scorpions & Sammy Hagar. Clear Lake has an out door open air concert venue that's right on the water. Anchor up, throw out the rods, and you can listen to live music while you fish. My fishing partner had quite a bit of fun during the concert which in turn, caused him to sleep like a rock.

Over the last two summers I've fished with John Fogerty, Styx, Bostyn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Scorpions, Sammy Hagar, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, and more. It's a pretty cool way to spend an evening on the water.

6. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great post, great pics, great fish..... and to top all this off you get to listen to great music!!!

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Great post & pic's Randy...Clearlake is one heck of a channle cat lake , That and some killer music what more can you ask for.:wink:

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    good fishing and some of the greatest music ever played by man.only thing missing is iron butterfly.congrats.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice fishes.

10. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    awesome story and catch.. thats a HAWG.. one of the biggest channels ive saw caught.. thnx

11. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats a dandy.Heck there all nice fish to me.Thanks for the photos.

12. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice story and very nice channel cats.

13. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    It's in the 90's during the day, but at night that dang wind always comes up on Clear Lake.

Forgot to mention, all the channels were caught on mackeral.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for sharing the story and the pics

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Those are some relly big channels. Way to be!

Bet they fought good too!

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for sharring this fine story with us reps to ya
    PS. i would have raised so much you know what!!!! he would have woke up lol:eek:oooh::cool2::big_smile:

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice channels,congrats on the fish

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on some nice fish. Appreciated.

19. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    dang nice ol channels ya got there

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    did you get weights on the fish?........Awsome story!