The Banjo Minnow!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chief, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    stumbled acrossed them today at dicks sporting goods. i remember years ago i payed 40 bucks for the whole kit after watching the infomercial. the only thing in the kit that ever caught anything were the frogs, but after a few fish i had lost all mine do to the corkscrew way of attaching them to the hook. i was wondering if anyone has had better luck with these. anyone ever got a catfish on one? or am i the only sucker that took the bait! lol

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I got the whole set from a yard sale for 50 cents! What a waste of 50 cents! They do look kind of cool going through the water though and they make great Christmas tree ornaments! Some even come with glitter!

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I picked up 2 packs from a K-mart in the clearance section for $1. I've tried the green glittery one and caught a few bass. But after they hit em short the tend to tear up or even come off the corkscrew.

4. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    If i'm messing with Banjo's they better have strings. Those others suck !

5. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I too took the bait. I bought them off the infomercial when they came out for 40$ and they are garbage. Got the little video, showing all the people catching tons of huge fish on them. Must be a set up. Private, overstocked ponds or something! Anyway, I have caught a few small bass on the minnows. That was about all, I still have most the set though.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I also bought the kit for $40 from the infomercial. Used 'em once with no luck, then buried 'em in the garage 'till a coupla weeks ago when I came across 'em while cleaning up. From what the rest of you are saying, seems like they were designed to catch more fishermen than fish!!!

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I still use them and they work great for catching crappies. I have caught lots of fish with them. I'm looking around for some replacement small bodies.

8. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've caught some nice smallmouth and nice largemouth on them. I caught some really nice ones on the frogs. I've even lost some nice ones on them. All around, I think they were worth it.

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anyone remember the "Flying Lure", I had a set shortly after they came out, I begged my Ol' Man to buy me some for my Birthday when I was like 11-12, didn't catch anything! Seems to be quite a few gimmick lures out there, maybe some work but, I bet most don't they just look pretty in the water!

TA2D

Aaron

PS I would like to take one of those Popil Pocket Fishermen to the Zoo in Omaha, they have some huge Ornamental Koi, and some huge Amazon Redtail Catfish in one of the aquarium exhibits!

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I got some of the banjo minnows when they first came out and caught the most and some of the biggest bass of my life on them back home in the fall so for me they were worth it but I guess it just depends on where your at. I actually caught some really good sized trout on them as well.

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    maybe i should of watched the video a few more times to get the right technique down..lol

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Clayton, I think that I may still have that video in a box somewhere. If I find it, I'll send it to you!

13. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    :) I never got anything on them either. As stated by someone along the way here, the only thing I ever caught some nice bass and Crappie's on was that old Flying fish thing they had out. The one with the small piece of leaded hook and it would swim backwards when you lifted the rod tip. Great for fishing under docks. The damn helicopter lure that Roland Martin had out was amother piece of shit. (Can I say that here?) They did as stated, catch a ton of fihing men & women.:mad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    can someone show or tell me how to rig them up the correct way
    all i do know is put them on j hooks and texas rig them and whould like to knwo how to rig them the correct way

15. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    I Have Cought Alot Of Nice Fish On Them, My Favorite Are The 9" I Retrive Them As Fast As I Can Threw Boils Af Striper And They Catch Alot Of Big Fish.

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have flat wore out bass in a couple creeks around the house on those things. i still have a few left that i'll take out to the watersheds from time to time. when used correctly, they have some of the best action i have ever seen on a lure. alot like a slugo. i don't fish too much for bass anymore. if only they would let us use em for bait.........:)