The Bait Below??

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zivetor, Jan 31, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Okay,

Here is the million dollar question. The bait fish below in lake marion, is it shad or manheddon? <<Spelling>> .. And can you catch them with a cast net? Or what is the best way to catch them??

Zivetor:confused2:

2. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    I think they are shad but I'm not sure, and as far as trying to catch them I have had a bad time snaging,netting or using saki rigs. So I just buy shiners and make do.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Most of the schools are threadfin. There are a lot of gizzard shad and herring also in Marion.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Up here menhaden or bunker is a salt water species. I would be inclined to rule them out.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Lenny, (good to see a name. Thanks) I'm with gomer and mudkip. I think the majority is probably threadfin shad, but there are a lot of herring and menhaden, too, so there's no good way to know, other than a net. I've tried casting a little, but not much luck. I think I would do better with a larger diameter net. The only small (3/8") net I have is only 6' diameter, and by the time it gets to around 20' where a lot of the bait is, I think it has closed up a lot. I have an 8'x1/2" with lots of lead, but it will let small bait escape. I catch a few herring at the dam with the small net, but not in deep water.

6. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    (Gentle "Catfisher" Men)

Thank you all so kindly for you knowledge.. It is greaty appreaciated..
    I have to say I really love this website.. I have been looking for a site like this for quite some time..

Lenny