The art of drifting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    So far this year I have only fished by setting out the anchor and casting out a couple of rods and waiting....I'm done waiting, I'm going to the fish. I fish the Ohio River and it is full of snags so how do I go about drifting in that mess of a river bottom? The way I understand the drift rig is this: mainline--3 way swivel--12" leader to hook--then a dropper line with the weight on it?? WIll I be able to tell the difference between the mass of river tangles and a fish? If you fish a river and drift can you please explain how snagless drifting is possible? What is your setup?

muchos gracias
    Bill

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Surprisingly, the Ohio river is fairly snag friendly. The 3-way rig will work very well. I like to use a lightweight mono for my sinker (usually half of weight of main line) that will allow my sinker to break off if it gets snagged. Also, I have used a small cork weight about 6 inches from my hook. This way, it the line snags and the sinker breaks off, the hook will float up OVER the snag.

For drifting the Ohio, fish the barge channel as it is typically the deepest hole. These areas are surprisingly snag free and produce good fish.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Not much better advice than that.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I like using large bullet or walking sinkers on a three way.
    I use 20 lb main line with 8 lb on the sinker.
    the sinker is what gets hung most of the time and the 8 lb line will snap easer than the 20.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i will comment on drifting. river. ive never drifted them.

in the lakes i use a carolina rig. a no snag sinker tied above the swivel with a clinch knot. and a 12 to 14" leader line tied with a clinch knot to swivel and a clinch knot to a 5-6/0 circle. it does well in not snagging up. in lakes though. those who fish rivers may be able to elaborate more on the rigs there.

just offering some imput.:wink:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    up late looking for coffee?:smile2::smile2:eek:r checking the weather?

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As I told Catgirl, picture me doing a little jig, singing "I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and your not!":wink:

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Does everyone use one rod at a time for drifting? Will circle hooks still work? Appreciate the tips, I will try drifting this weekend now that my trolling motor has decided to start working.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The average number is 4 rods for drifting. I wouldn't run less unless there is a lot of turning involved or short passes.

And yes, circles hooks match drifting perfect.

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    On big water I use 6 poles and they keep me too busy to try and "work" just one. Circles are the best hook that I have come across

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Shane, are you drifting a lake? Do you use planer boards or downriggers on any of your lines?

13. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    one more dumb question, are the lines supposed to be ran straight down from the boat and not cast out right? I will be using 3 oz bank sinkers hopefully in the calmer current these will hold.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
  15. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I prefer drifting over sitting 10 to 1, get to cover a lot more water. I look at it that getting snagged seems just part of doing business. Some of the areas I get into just don't lend to a drift. Seems that the wind knows when I want to go fishing, it's either like a hurricane or not at all.

16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

JTrew, I don't use any type of planers or downriggers. I typically "try" to drift setting sideways in the current. This allows me to spread my poles out enough to keep them from tangling. 16 foot boat. 1 rod out the front, 1 rod out the back, and then 4 spread evenly along the lengeth of the boat.

I have two electric anchors on the side of my boat that automatically adjust to water depth. for an achor, I 3 foot sections of "logging chain". If the current is stong, I add another section until I get it just right. Surprisingly, the chains rarely snag and they do a very good job of holding the boat in the drift position.

17. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Some pretty intresting stuff. I like the rig shown and I like the chain idea as well.

18. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I still can't believe this works, just anchoring and casting out I get hang ups 40% of the time, when you add movement into the equation I would spend my entire fishing time retying. Plus when I drift a little I can see my pole bend down like its a fish then it will pop back up and repeat that process because of rip rap on the river bottom, whenever the rod stays bent 99.99999% of the time it's hung up:confused2:

Maybe I am not drifting in the right areas, however when ever I see up and down hills and valleys on the fishfinder it generally means hang-ups and whenever I'm over a flat bottom where drifting might work, there isnt any fish?

19. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Bill if you'll try the setup like Jimmy Jonny shows, the slinky weights don't hang up near as bad. The float keeps the hook off the bottom better, sometimes I'll tie the weight on with lighter mono, it it gets hung up I can generally break it off with out losing the whole rig.

20. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds like you should hook up with one of these guys for a drift fish. Sometimes things just don't come over the computer right. I can understand your point of view and I can understand there's but I don't figure out what to say to make you see the lightbulb and go "oh yeah I got it" .