the anchor

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by tallmanrus, Jan 12, 2009.

1. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well here is the anchor i built ,its ugly but holds good . If you look at how the chain runs and is attached the grapple end , and attached to the main part of the anchor with zip ties , that was riprap idea and it works great . if the anchor hangs just break the ties and the anchor flips over . cool desighn that works great .

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
  2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Great Idea, you should submit the design to the B.O.C. library

3. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Great looking anchor

4. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    They work well. Ive only lost one if the neck gets under something
    you can;t break string I use a piece of string to break my rope

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thats a great Idea thanks for shareing

6. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    actually the idea came from the boc library under anchors, I just used more chain for a better bite

7. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Guys - I made two anchors at work today. One of them goes to Tall(Robert). He needed one to replace his Wally World anchor. They have not had the chains put on them yet. They are similiar to the homemade ones out of rebar, except these was cut from 1/4" steel plate after I drawed them up on my AutoCad program. After Plasma cutting them , I welded them up and used a 1 3/8 pipe for the shank on them. Will add chains and break away ties later.

Attached Files:

8. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    you do good work newt!

9. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Very Very nice:roll_eyes:

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Newton you should get a patent and market those dudes:wink: Very nice sir!!

11. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Great lookin anchors!

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Great idea Robert,think im gonna fire up my welder now and listen to the wife sayin what are ya makin now lol..thanks for another idea,might have to get a bigger boat if i keep makin stuff...

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Robert and Newt for the anchor pics and idea. I like the looks of that operation. Makes good sence.

14. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Great looking anchors newt. What do they weigh? I might have to build some also.

15. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Tall(robert) you inspired me to make an anchor today. I guess it seems that is the thing to do now. I made mine similar to yours. The one you made looked great and appeared to be what I wanted to make. I didn't use the chain or zipties, but you can see in my picture, I welded a piece or rebar (which I did smooth on the underside so the washer slides) to allow the washer I tie on to, to slide. I should be able to move over the anchor and to the opposite direction the boat was in and slide the washer to the bottom of the anchor allowing me to lift it off the bottom.
    I also cut with a torch 4 grooves to allow the rebar claws to be resessed into the steel pipe. I bent each rebar at a 90 degree angle, so they don't overlap each other. I set them down in the criss/cross pattern and set the pipe down over it and into the grooves. It gave me more welding surface as well. I notched the same way for the washer slide.
    Thanks for the inspiration with your anchor. I am heading to Clarksville on Monday to fish the river and will try it out. I'll submit a report on how it works, or if it will still be on the bottom of the river for someone to come by and get....
    ccat

Attached Files:

16. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    chris , great looking anchor . i like the idea of the washer. and believe me the anchors work great

17. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    robert,
    I will be down in the river out of spadra Monday to try it out.
    Hope the cold doesn't mess the shad up too bad down there.
    ccat

18. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Good ideal. Anchors look like they should do alright. The ones i made would run around $30.00 to $35.00 a piece. They weigh 10 lbs a piece. I have made some more that are a different disign and cut out of thicker material, these weigh probably around 13 pounds each. Not sure on the weight of the new design. The only one I had here at the house of the new design - Robert has it with him. I will post pics of it soon. I can change my design in a matter of minutes on my AutoCad program. So, may have other designs later.

19. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    riprap , the break-away ziptie system was posted by gottheblues,chris harris in 2003...... don't know who came up with the rope slidebar on the anchor , but catfishhunter, the legendary jim noles , :smile2:, gave me an anchor in 2002 that had a slidebar on it... i still use it , so the slidebar must be a good idea since i haven't lost it yet .................................

20. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    When Tall said he got the idea from me on the chain and zip tie I just figured to let every one know I had gotten the idea from the boc library, I never did look to see who put it there