The age-old question revisited

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 14, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Alright, now that I have lost my second anchor for the year I am again in the market to buy one.

I have had Chene-style Fluke, Hooker, whatever anchors with 6 ft of 3/8" chain attached.

These have had so-so success at holding in the river unless the current is slow or rip rap is present etc.....

But when they have caught sometimes you can't retrieve them, even pulling upstream with the boat.

So....... before I hemorraghe (sp?) more cash again, let fly with some river anchor advice for the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.

This is getting to be expensive and I hope it isn't an indicator of an ongoing, never-ending expenditure. I have enough of those already.:angry:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    No reason to ever buy another one Darryl when you can make your own. These river anchors will hold you any where and you wont cry too bad if you loose one. I believe Mr. T did a thread on how to build them before. Jim and I learned how to make them from Willie (Billy Weaver) a couple of years ago and they do work.
    We like the square design for better holding power but you can make them round if so desired. Basically lead melted for the bottom, a rod or tube and a chain and your ready. Mine weighs 27 lbs. if I remember right.

Attached Files:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :crazy::crazy::crazy:How the H$LL do you pull that beast up all day long?

Holy Moly!

Where do you store it when not in use?

Dimensions please?

Again......:crazy::crazy::crazy:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I posted photos a while back of my home-made anchor, similar in style to the one Jim and Troy use...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54054

Costs next to nothing, if you have access to some lead...

I can take some more photos if you need them, including a shot of the rebar prior to casting in the lead. Let me know.

(BTW - the anchor in the other thread is currently resting comfortably at the bottom of the Osage River near Warsaw - but not because it got stuck; I tied two lengths of anchor rope together and the knot didn't hold. Oops...)

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We keep it and the rope in a milk crate. The bottom is aprox 6 in. X 6 in. sguare by a inch or so thick.
    A foot or foot and 1/2 tall. LOL, you have a anchor retrival ball dont ya. If not a good anchor boy up front will do the trick....:wink:

6. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Darryl.. Get some rebar and start making them out of concrete or lead. If you loose them, you dont feel so bad. I wished I could find some pieces of rail road track that is about 16 inches long and weld a handle on the top with rebar. I lost that one a few years ago and almost cryed..

7. Parker

Parker New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    How the H$LL do you pull that beast up all day long

- check out ironwood pacific-- anchor lift ball. They are a little pricey, but it sure beats pulling the anchor by yourself all day.

8. graftoncatfisher

graftoncatfisher New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have lost a couple of tri fluted river anchors and i went and bought a ritchers anchor and this is by far the best anchor i have ver used. It is a little bit more money but well worth is iv never have it even close to getting stuck. If it is stuck alls you do is just move the boat a little past the anchor rope and then it will come right up.

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I have that ball already, thanks.

Luckily I was barely able to save it. The slide mechanism had traveled down the rope some and locked, keeping the ball submerged in the current (The current was pretty strong here, below the dam). We barely gained enough rope back to get the ball just close enough to reach in the water (stretching overboard) and release it. Losing that too would have really ticked me off.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've had good luck with the old navy-style anchor that came with my boat:big_smile: I should make one of the lead ones like Troy and everybody, but by the time I pay for the back surgery from pulling it up or the new boat from sinking mine playing with the anchor-retrieval bouy and winding up the anchor rope in my motor I could have bought a lot of anchors:big_smile::big_smile:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Branden, while the buoy works great a LOT of the time, I have found after more use that there will be some hairy moments wondering EXACTLY where the ball and rope is in relation to the prop.

Still, a great tool to have. Could be the operator, or the rope is getting a bit twisted. Sometimes that ball will hang on the rope at the most inopportune spot (like near the stern).

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, they look cool and I'm sure they work great, but I know how I am with the boat and ropes in close proximity. As Josie Wales said, "a man's got to know his limitations....":wink:

13. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    anchors can get hung but most of the time you can get them up. if your fishing below the dam in big rip rap its not your anchor thats hung its the chain. i have fished below the dam for quit some time and i have lost some anchors. i use a navy style anchor and when it gets hung i tie off to a cleat and put some juice to the motor and the anchor will usually bend and come up. if the chain is hung i usually break the rope. i have had the bow of my boat way down in the water trying to get it up until the rope breaks.:eek:oooh:eek:oooh:if ya hang the chain forget just get another anchor

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ther is a easy trick to pulling up those heavy anchors and i'm supprised you old fishing farts don't know it yet. :big_smile: when you go fishing, take a friend (tell him he's first mate and he's really happy.) then let him do the job. :wink:
    "what? you put the darn thing in a brush pile? why the heck did you do that? strip and go get it maggot!":angry:
    gary

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I seriously doubt you want to stip and go get it below Alton dam.

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wow Gary, I've never seen anyone able to swim in that rushing current below a dam. That must be a sight to see.:eek:oooh:

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Darryl, I use to lose quite a few anchors, below Alton Dam. I bought the Digger from Cabela's and have never failed to get it "unhooked". It doesn't use a chain. Also, when it does get caught, a sharp tug and the flukes break free and swing away. They are on a spring, loaded inside the main shaft.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'm not convinced the "anchor retrieval ball" is really necessary on the Missouri, at least not where I fish - the water is seldom over 15 to 20 ft deep where I anchor, and it's not that much of a chore to pull it up. And the last thing I want to do is get the rope caught in the prop...

However, I *really* wished I had that thing while fishing below Truman Dam - we anchor in at least 30 ft of water all the time, and that's a long way to pull 25 or 30 lbs of lead...

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey Marty, aint it amazing how much bother it is to pull #30 of lead up and how much fun it is to pull #30 of fish up? LOL

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Only Kutter would think up something like that!