The abu 6000 combo at walmart

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kycatman84, Jun 22, 2007.

1. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    has any one seen the abu 6000 rod and reel combo at walmart? I almost bought it to day but the rod dosent seem like it would hold a very big fish. What do you all think of it?

2. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    The combo will work good, play the fish that's were the fun is anyway, good luck.
    Rick

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Our Wally World here has a 5000 combo, but not a 6000. I'd get a 6000 & put it on a Ugly Stick Catfish unit. I put one on a 8' an love it.
    :wink:

4. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey kycatman84,
    I have several of the 6000 Combo's. They are really good. I have caught many catfish on them. They have great drag systems and the rods have enough backbone and a fast tip for good hooksets. My biggest so far is a 38 lb Flathead at Badin. I have caught many other fish on them and I use them Striper fishing also. I used them on the Roanoke River striper run this year and the year before. The combos I bought have 7' Lightning rods with them. Are those the same combos you see? I haven't seen a better buy on a combo yet. I got lucky and found some at a Wal Mart in Charlotte a few years ago and they had 3 on clearance for $49.95..lol. I bought all 3. I think the manager had no idea what they did..lol. Good luck.

5. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    berkley make great rods and the 6000 holds almost 200 yds of 17 lb test i went last night and caught 12 cats between me and my buddy and we both use the 6000 combos the biggest were a 26 lb blue and a 32lb flat head and i also pulled in a 38 lb alligator gar and the rods worked great just make sure u get a good reel tighten the drag down and adjust the the magnetic brake on the side the lil round thing to see how it feels the stores always turn the drag all the way down and loosen the brake to make them feel smoother than they are but u cant beat 69bucks for a 60 dollar reel and a think the rod separate is 35 dollars and u the rod and reel have a warranty with them if u get it and dont like it i'll buy it from you i got the last 2 from walmart the other day go for it i believe its a great investment plus the reels are from sweden not taiwan

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Abu 6000 is a good combo!

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Used the 6000 combo out on the Atlantic while fishing for Seabass,caught a couple of dogfish(small sharks)It held up pretty good:confident:. I personally would change the rod.:0a26:

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i use the 5000 & 6000's also they are both great!!!

9. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I caught the fish in my avatar with that combo, the rod is alot stiffer than it looks.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Ive had 2 of the lightning rod/6000 combos for about a year and have had no problems.
    Chip

11. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I got the 6000 combo from walmart a couple years ago and it's held up great. It came with a cork handle Berkley Lightning rod that's done pretty well, too. It seemed a little weak at first but it's held up well against some pretty large fish. I'd recommend it if the price is right (Paid $30).

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    those lightning rods are awesome. we use the ultralight and medium for scale fish. the medium is good for channel cats too, i believe. i like the ugly cat rods though since i use circles, like to let em load up.
    as for the 6000, you can't go wrong with it at all!