The 2008 (Outside) Bait Tank

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 13, 2008.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is the second year that I'm using this style of system for my outside bait tank. Last year everything worked almost perfectly. I was on year two of my Aqua Clear 110 filter system but the 1st year for the undergravel filter and power heads. After fixing several crack on the Aqua Clear, I decided to retire it, as it was time to replace it. Last fall I picked up a Beckett Pond Filter and Pump. It's pretty powerfull for the size of my tank (rated for up to a 12 x 12 pond. It seem to work real well though. The spray nozzle shoots up to like a 15 foot stream. I had to silicone 2/3's of the nozzel and install a spray bar on the adapter in order to get the flow right, but I think it's set now. It may not be pretty but it should keep Bullheads, Bluegills, Goldfish, Chubs, Suckers, Rockbass and whatever else I use for bait alive. The white thigns are the side are there to help make sure the fish dont jump out and fall through the openeings. I just set the tank up today (for 2008). At 1st I thought the "foam" was actually just "bubbles" that were going away, later I realized this was not the case. I have sense fixed the problem by adding more water. The foam is gone. (Foam = Bad News for the fish.)

This years set up will have:
    -The 500 gallon Beckett Pond Filter/Pump
    -3 Power Heads
    -100 gallon undergravel filter

Additional items used throughout the year:
    -Morton water softener tablets
    -Aqua Safe when I add water.
    -Stress Coat when I add several new fish.
    -"Rejuvenade" by "Bass Medics" (This is what turns the water a green color.) I used this stuff last year and it really seemed to help keep fish healthy. I use this in the outside tank, my portable tanks plus my boat livewells while tourney fishing for cats. (Keeps both the bait and cats healthy.)

Here's last years set up

[​IMG]

Here's this years set up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice lookin vat.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Nice setup H2O, you can keep alot of bait in that setup.