The 2 types of Catfisherman...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Oct 25, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was on the water yesterday with my buddy Cincycat, and we were shooting the bull as usual, everything from ghost, to aliens, etc....LMAO...Sitting back and got on another discussion, what type of fisherman are you? and what level do you hope to achieve, recreational, tournament, or just trying to be the best you can be for you???

I hope to be at the top one day, I consider myself as moving more into a tournament fisherman, simply because it forces me to learn, learn, and learn some more...And I have ALOT to learn...:smile2:

I have always thought there are 2 types of Catfisherman:

Type 1- The fisherman who can go out and usually catch fish on a consistant basis..

Type 2- The fisherman who can go out and usually catch fish on a consistant basis, AND Can tell you exactly why they caught that fish...no matter what river or lake they are fishing.

To be perfectly honest, I would consider myself more of a Type 1, there are times when I can catch fish , and know why, but lets be honest thats not always the case. If I do land a big cat, its bitter sweet for me if I dont know why.... I want to be able to target fish, catch them, and tell you why and how I did...I don't know to many people who I would consider a Type 2 fisherman, I beleive that every Cat Angler can always learn a thing or 2 from someone else.

What do you guys think, are you a type 1 or 2?

For example, everyone probably fishes a little different, if you are anchored in one spot for 2 hours, and finally you get a run and land a 40 lber, can you honeslty explain why you caught that fish? Were you fishing a log jam and she finally came out for a snack? Did the fish just come cruising through and you lucked into her?

Or more importantly, is thinking that way a buzz kill for the die hard Catman or Catgal? Are you happy lucking into a big fish every now and again, or are you trying to achieve a higher level? My ultimate goal before the good lord takes me, is to be able to go out and catch those hawgs, but know that there was probably one there anyway, know why she is there, and to know exactly the best way to catch that fish..Does that line of thinking ruin it for you guys? Or am I just a rare breed who needs to sit back and smell the roses a little??
    :0a36:

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can tell you exactly why I caught every fish I have ever caught in my life. He opened his mouth.

Any other explanation anyone comes up with can only be the conjecture of an educated guess.

Otherwise only nature and the fish know for sure.

I personally don't need fame or fortune. I'd rather just enjoy the sport.

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Im a level 3 fisherman :wink: like alot of guys on here im a keyboard angler:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    There is other people adiccted Also I think the same way hope one day 2 be a #2.nothing wrong with that.I think luck and time on the water helps me

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    For me, it's mostly an addiction and I hope to turn into a Type 2 fisherman soon. I'm trying my hardest to invest into this sport, and learn from new people. That's why I love going out with people who view it the same way as I do. I hate messing around while I fish, especially from a boat, it's competitive to me.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i've been a type 2 mostly for other species including channels. but i've only been flatheading for a few years and am a type 1 for now. flatheads may be the most frustrating fish and i still have lots of learning to do with them. also i am addicted to fishing for them as well my friends.

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I guess I would best be described as a pseudo #2.

I can catch fish on a fairly consistant basis.....I can tell you why I caught it where I did.....unfortunately, anything I lay claim to can not be proven.

Just because all of the conditions(depth, structure, bait, temp...) appear to be right..I have no real idea why THAT, or those, fish were there.

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some tourny's at some point, but I do not want to get so involved that it takes the fun away. At some point, at least for me, even fishing would seem like work. I can go fishing whenever, and mostly wherever I want, and leave when I feel like it. If I have cash(entry fees) invested, I am less likely to be fishing on my own terms.

Sure, I could leave a tourny whenever I pleased. Then again, I also could have sat at home and just burned the entry fee and served the same purpose...assuming I lost interest at some point during.

I have seen plenty of the more knowledgable, and probably more productive, members of this site, come away empty handed. We all have had that experience. I actually believe that everyone goes fishing with nothing more than hope. We can have the best gear on the planet, we can have the best site on the planet, but in the end, we still hope that we catch something while there.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the fish that i catch i can give some explanation of why i caught them, its the days i don't catch anything that i wish i knew what was goin on :wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    With the 2 selections I have I would have to say I'm more like #2.

I'm still bank fishin but I do have a boat now and I fish with other guys on their boats too. I actually do better by myself, and off the bank because I have total control. I contribute my catches to knowing my patters and what they do according to the fronts and pressure. I do get choices on other boats but its usually after they exhausted their ideas first,,and that's fair.

This last year I did get to partner up with 2 different BoC members and fish tournaments. Both times we had many obstacles in our way and didn't do as good as we would have liked. On one we did place 9th so that wasn't to bad.

I've been fishin for a long time and I've moved up to another level and I plan on fishin the tourneys as soon as possible. I have such a great time with a lot of BoC folks and I really encourage folks to try if they never have before.

I'm ready for all the work, time and even stress...its a labor of love for me. My dream would be to fish along side with my kids in tournaments. They are just like me and give it their all ; )

So yea..I'm a number #2 but a low rank #2. I'm far from being as good as guides and other tourney guys but I know I have what it takes.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is always luck the first time you catch one but once you can start to reproduce that luck consistently it becomes skill.

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You forgot about the 3rd type. :smile2:

The type that usually fishes places others fish or someone else showed them that turn around and say it's their spot. They usually don't catch near the numbers or size. The ones that do more following instead of learning how to find and catch the cats.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    aint that the truth! rollo

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think i am a "1.5" fisherman:wink:. on my way to being a #2 someday but still have a lot to figure out. wish sometimes i could go back before i started "thinking" about all the "why this, why that, which, when, how," etc.... i seemed to enjoy just being out a whole lot more back in those days. now it seems i keep over anylizing EVERYTHING!

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im a little of both. I seem to catch good fish most of my trips out. I do believe there is some luck involved in my fishing also. Ive fished with some good Catmen and have taken tips from them but also go on my gut at times. Im not out to be famous in the catfishing world but i do fish and do my best to better myself and my PBs and yes for some friendly Comp. between my buddies and guys I fish with!

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    There is no question. I am a #2 fisherman..... Every time I catch a fish, I can tell you the reason why. The problem between that kind of #2 and the #2 type I believe you are referring to is I can go out, use the same logic, twist it up some, wring it out some more, jump up and down on it..... and not catch a fish. I look forward to the time when I can adjust from not catching consistently for a reason to catching consistently for a reason!:wink:

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think I'm a type 2 fisherman. I have many thinkings about why the fish was there, and try to convince myself I know why that fish hit. But, im probably just b/sing myself most of the time!:smile2: As long as I keep learning something new after every trip or year after year, thats all that matters to me! I will never become anything more than a weekend warrior because I don't have the time to spend on the water like I used to! SO, a few good fish here and there is enough for me anymore to feed my appetite towards the sport!:wink: rollo

19. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I am hammering them I am closer to a #2, It is generally a reactionary bite. I know this because I am watching the way they are reacting to my bait over top of there head. Also im patterning them to the type of structure they are schooling on. Front side, back side, or on the side. Right in it, Way in front, tight on front, way in back, on the flats etc.
    If im out dragging I am not watching them but I can tell how they are reacting to what the boat is doing at the time that they bite. For example from going slow slamming trolling motor to fast for an instance and the rod goes down. Or going fast and slowing down instantly, and a rod go down. Then there are other times when just going one constant speed works better. I would think when this is happening this is more like feeding time and not reactionary bite.
    If I am anchoring in shallow water and there is a bunch of bait there and I am catching fish, I would say that this is feeding time.
    If im not catching them, I would be a #1, a guy out there just floating around hoping to catch a fish. Many times it takes several hours to put a pattern to the fish, and then we will just hammer them. somedays there is absolutely no pattern. Then I dont know why. I do very little anchoring because I am not good at it. THIS WAS A LOADED QUESTION! Thanks!

20. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I think I could be a #2. I take alot of factors into consideration when I pick a spot for the night. I fish the bank and the river I fish has little access, so if I pick a wrong spot it could be devastating for the fishing that night. But like Kip said though there is always some luck involved. Unless you know that there is a resident hog that is living in a certin area. But then it might have been luck that allowed you to get that fish in the first place. 5 out of the 6 biggest Flats I caught this year were on the first cast at a new spot and the fish would hit the bait within 2 min of the bait being in the water. That kinda gives me an idea that I am probably on the right track to finding the bigger fish and being able to get nice fish on a consistant basis.