The 1970s...Memories from the "Me Decade"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, May 20, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

crazfish (Nay), suggested on kat in the hat's 80s thread that we should delve into the 1970s for another fun discussion. I thought it was a great idea, so here goes. Here are a few of MY memories.....

Building dams in our creek, labeling trees for a nature trail, finding "the cave" and a giant field of daffodils in the middle of nowhere, climbing trees (and listenin' to mom fuss because we always jumped OUT after we climbed 'em - "Stop that, you'll break your arm! :roll_eyes:)

Doing solo "concerts" for my neighbors from the deck of our house :embarassed:

Embarrassing my PARENTS by stickin' my head out the side door every Sunday morning during breakfast and hollerin' "Soo-ey, here piggy piggy piggy piggy!!!" (With several repetitions of course, also for the benefit of the neighbors. We lived in a subdivision.)

Banana popsicles on the church steps on a hot summer night during Vacation Bible School

Playing the piano for hours on end, learning to play the ukelele (sp?) and the clarinet, ATTEMPTING to play the guitar. Listening to mom play the piano every Saturday morning, while I was sleepin' late and she was taking a break from chores....smelling bleach in the air from the load of sheets she was washing.

Rolling down a hill in the grass (we discovered if you use an old quilt, and roll up in it as you go, you won't get so itchy) and hunting for four leaf clovers. I found 14 one day. Making clover blossom chain necklaces.....

Our pet flying squirrel

Puppies, puppies, and more puppies.....redbones, black and tans, bloodhounds, weimaraners (Dang, guess I've ALWAYS been surrounded by dogs :big_smile:.)

SLEDDING!!! We lived right at the bottom of the hill. You could just keep goin' all the way down our driveway. Boy was that fun. Dad would go out in his International Scout, and pack the snow down for all the neighborhood kids, turn it into a solid sheet of ice - while the other folks in the development were busily salting the areas in front of their driveways. If the snow plow came, we'd all line up at the top of the hill with our sleds, and block his way :wink:.

Going to the drive-in with my parents to see "The Poseidon Adventure". Dad said he didn't like it 'cause it was "too much in the same place" :lol:.

Watchin' "Love Story" and cryin' my eyes out :sad2:

Seeing "Rocky" with my best friend, and at the end the whole audience was hollerin', clapping, and on their feet

"Saturday Night Fever" - the first R rated movie I ever saw without my parents (I was with my aunt though :wink:).

I could go on and on about the movies....The Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Grease, Carrie, just to name a few more I saw in THEATERS. I NEVER go to the movies anymore.

No cable or satellite TV.....just a rotary antenna (oh wait, that's NOW at my house)

I was addicted to the television show "Medical Center" - or maybe I should say Dr.Joe Gannon (I think that's what his name was). I thought he was the best lookin' man I'd ever seen at that time. Of course, I also thought that God would look like Jack Lord from Hawaii Five-0 :big_smile:.

Watchin' the Olympics, and seeing gymnast Nadia Comaneci receive the first perfect scores across the board.

The premiere of "All in the Family"....people PLANNED around it. Do you realize how many spinoffs came from that show? And then there's "Maude", and also "The Jeffersons". From "Maude" came "Good Times".

I LOVED the Carol Burnett show, but Dad hated it. However, I HATED "The Glen Campbell Show" (or was it Goodtime Hour?) and he made ME watch that :tounge_out:.

Never missed an episode of "One Day at a Time". You guys can chime in on this one, I know SOMEBODY has something to say about Valerie Bertinelli :wink:.

"Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island".....da plane, da plane

"Saturday Night Live" with the ORIGINAL and BEST cast ever

Everybody had their bangs cut and styled into "wings". Farrah hair was sorta like GIANT ones all the way down the sides....

Wings was also a BAND, with lead singer Paul McCartney. I wore out my "At the Speed of Sound" LP. It was third in line as far as my favorite albums went at the time. "Hotel California" was definitely #1, and "Best of the Doobies" got a lot of play time too.

Radio contests - be the sixth caller ladies and gentlemen, and win six of the hottest 45s on the market today! I had quite a few :cool2:.

Disco - sorry Ms.Gloria Gaynor, this musical genre didn't SURVIVE into the 1980s, but hey - it's made somewhat of a comeback in recent years. And you can dance to it :big_smile:.

Kenny Rogers looked NORMAL :crazy:. Boy, was he popular, and the women LOVED him.

Well, that took me back a ways, and ended up being more than a FEW. So folks, help me out here. What are your 70s memories? I'd really like to know.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man! I can't even remember that much stuff from the past decade. I was but a wee boy in the seventies. Things I actually remember about the 70s are: Sneeking away from our yard to "visit" the neighbors, and play with their Peekenese(sp?), and getting my butt tanned all the way home.

Not being able to play in the creek due to alleged alligators.(never saw one)

Chasing little green lizards around on the patio.

Being warned about the pitbull farm in the woods.(another either paranoid, or otherwise bogus parental claim)

Playing with any of our many, many irish setters in the kennel. I (can't believe I'm admitting this) even got a bucket, and stool to set on, and "milked" our dog Lady for the whole neighborhood to see.

I remember lots of very mean stuff my sisters did to me that I refuse to elaborate on!!!

The 8 track player that would either skip all the time, or play a track backwards for no apparent reason. But who cares? It was some crappy bubblegum music that my sisters were into. Probably Kenny Rodgers, or Ann Murray.

The rattlesnake that got into our bathroom that our neighbor Alex McGayhee shot with a .410. Same good samaritan also gave me my first dip of chew, and laughed maniacally as I vomited off the porch when I was like 6 years old.

The fig tree that we would always pig out on!!!

But the thing that I like, and appreciate most about the seventies is of coarse my most favoritest band Black Sabbath, and of coarse Led Zepplin, and Pink Floyd to name a few that I have named before. Can't say it enough...Black Sabbath started it all for me. Be it good, or evil. Face it. Music was rockin' back then!!! I'm not into all the overproduced mumbo jumbo of today. I like music to sound like the band just stepped out of the garage, and play their instruments, and sing about real or immagined things, but not what their producers dictate for the market. Ever stop and think about all that great music that has been squashed by the industry? That's why all my more recent favs. are underground, and not radio hits.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    $10 an ounce and $120 a pound! LOL!

Black lite posters!

My first ZZTOP concert at the spectrum in Philly!

4. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    ummmmm 70's era...let me think a minute.........ok here are a few for me, now yall dont laugh too hard at it..i was the tomboyish type...didnt have much choice bout it...I was the 5th grandchild in line in my moms family so the 3 older ones are all boys cept for one that i didnt see much cept at holidays so i got to hang around with them alot.....thats where the funniest stories are from. this is what they taught me growin up in the 70's:
    • how to rollerskate at age 7 or 8 i think usin grown mens size 10 skates stuffed with paper in the toes....on a city block blacktop street, one on each side adn one in the back to catch me....he never really held up his end of the bargain or my rear end either...lotta scrapes from that one
    • playin softball in the corn field after it had all been cut down from harvesting.
    • sittin close to the end of mamaw &papaw's long driveway tryin to get the big trucks goin the highway to blow their horns at us.
    • riding my bike everywhere...man that was the most wonderful thing to me....until i flipped over the handlebars goin down hill on a gravel road. didnt tickle i tell ya
    • awwww hadda calf named patches i hadda bottle feed...was my pet...had several pets
    • learnin to drive the redbelly ford tractor helpin daddy in the garden adn hay field
    • being daddys girl....at his elbow as a grease monkey all the time when he was workin on cars and such. thats how i came to know so much bout them....he always said...if u gonna ride them you gonna be able to fix them....so, i did.
    • gettin frustrarated cause my cousins wouldnt teach me how to ride the dirtbike....so i taught myself one early mornin while they slept....got it goin, got pretty good at handlin, got pretty good at doin the hills...forgot how to get it stopped.....ran over a stump, ripped off back brake and cant still tothis day figure out how i came outta it alive....
    • M*A*S*H, Hogan's Heroes, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Chuck Berry, Otis Redding, Billy "Crash" Craddock, Conway Twitty,
    • Vacation Bible School, Party Line Telephones, Cabinet Stereos, 45 records, No neighbors within a mile or more of us, Roller Skating at the Rink(after i finally got some shoes to fit right)
    • ohhhhhhhhhh yeah....being persuaded to try skoal....omg...will never do that again no matter what...i actually think i turned green, never slippin around in closet tryin to smoke......for some reason thats a P.I.T.A... literally, and being persuaded to run from mamaw cause i was younger adn faster and she couldtn catch me.....yeah right...that woman had the patience of a saint.......
    I think thats enough for now.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well george that post just answered alot of my Questions :lol:

6. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I remember lots of very mean stuff my sisters did to me that I refuse to elaborate on!!!
    Matt... I could elaborate on some of it!:big_smile: HE won't tell me, but all 5 of his older sisters like to share.
    My memories... going to grandmas, it was down the road, she always let us do fun stuff like play with her kitchen spoons to dig holes in her yard. She also thought it was ok to give us small sharp knives, also from her kitchen, to sharpen sticks for spears. We would go fishen with cane poles, catch frogs, and play with the chickens and new calves. Lots of fond memories there.
    I listened to alot of music then, mostly disco cause we only got 2 radio stations, the other was country, so I heard alot of that too. But my sister is 4yrs. older so I was mainly condemned to what she listened to. My cousin came to stay for a while in the late 70's, exposed me to Kiss, been hooked on rock since.:smile2:

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    For those of you that are new and that didnt see this before, i am copying this back to this thread for all to see since it relates to the eras at hand (70's and 80's). i think it tells alot about me growin up in those times. This one is more from my dads side of the family as opposed to the other post i made.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    BG you lived a simple life in the 70's

Just for starters, in 71 my son was born. In 72 had a motorcycle accident that took the front wheel off a Buick 225 electra, learned to fly, all at the same time. Did I say I landed on my head.:roll_eyes:

Laid up for a few months because of the accident with not much to do. In 73 my daughter was born.:lol: I only broke my wrist, knee, and left shoulder, no permanant soft tissue damage.

Moved the family out of that god forsaken state of Ohio and went to south Florida.. I was truckin' then. Long hauling from south to north. The kids loved it and had a great time growing up. That was during the global cooling period, and we got no hurricanes till things got warmed up.

Moved to central Fl, and got into the construction trade. Learned the industrial carpenters trade, where everything you build gets torn down and concrete is left behind.

That pretty much ate up the 70's for me. The 60's were even more fun.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Leslie, THANK YOU!!! I can't BELIEVE I forgot M*A*S*H. That was my favorite sit-com back then......and the marbles part of your poem reminded me of MY grandaddy. He taught me to play killin' horses (it's really the only marble game I ever learned). We'd sit down in the floor together in the kitchen, right here in this house I live in now, and just have a BALL :smile2:.

10. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    stayed high about half of the 70s .. Hated disco and got to see charlie Daniels concert and Jimmy Carter was there him and ol Charlie were big Buddies and Charlie was helping him out with the cash,,

went to a Queen concert and smoked some sence and passed out when they first came on stage, Then woke up while they were playing the last song.

Those were the day's LOL:confused2:

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I grad. from Hi school in the 70s. I remember getting my draft card, praying I would not get drafted. Rock music ROCKED! The radio stations played both sides of a album. Life seemed soooooo easy then. Gas was 34 cents a gallon cigs were 35 cents. Man I miss my youth at times.
    Bill

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Princess ,let me give a slightly different perspective on the 70s.I was of course in the Army in the service of my country,had served my tours in Vietnam,like everybody else and was now home with my future ahead of me.The US presence was ended in Vietnam by 73,disgracefully to many of us that went.By 75 Saigon fell and many of us had to deal with the loss, not only of our friends but of a war also and we questioned in our hearts if it was worth it for awhile, but being soldiers we marched on trying to make a better Army.By the fall of Saigon the American people were worn out by the war and the debate over it,and just wanted to put the bitter memory away.It was a hard time for the services,the people and the country.When Sat Night Fever hit the screen in 77 the country was ready to party and I mean really ready.Disco music, and I know many of you hated it, was the perfect tonic and it got folks up on the floor and dancing again.Clubs sprang up over night and they were full,seems like there was a new one every friday in Denver.Girls were all dressed up, and the guys had their leisure suits and you could actually dance and hold a woman or go free style and blend in with the crowd.There was something for everyone and the beat had everyone shaking their groove thing.People were actually having some fun again and there was no talk of war.So Disco was the perfect remedy at the perfect time and is probably what the 70s will be most remembered for.So my personal thanks to the Village People and you can still go anywhere in the world and play YMCA and everybody knows to make the letters.Now what dance craze replaced Disco???? Ironically Travolta killed Disco with his next venture.Anybody remember what it was?:big_smile::lol::smile2:

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks Jim! Excellent post buddy. I remember when the Vietnam war was declared OVER. We all went outside, and my dad shot his gun (for some reason). My mom, sis and I marched around the yard singing "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" carrying flags. Last night I was thinking about another big event in the 1970s, the bicentennial of our country, in 1976 of course. I have a few memories of that too, but since I've already expounded on so many of my recollections :roll_eyes: I'll forego doing that and leave it to y'all. Anyone care to share any good bicentennial stories :smile2:?

14. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    let's see 70 chevelle ss, hemi cuda, my first real girl ,:cool2:weed so cheap you had to buy it and of course gettin married oh yea my first harley

15. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    HMMMMMM?

High School and high school sports. Football. baseball, and after game parties. All nighters on the back waters......woooooohoooooo!! Great times there. There were several "firsts" during the 70's but I won't go there.

GFR, Led Zep, BOA, Skynard, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Eagles, Stones, and many, many other great music makers.

It's no wonder my Grandmother always told me, "If you don't change, you'll never live pat 18 years!"

16. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    The 70s were a bit of a blur for me. Left high school in 68 and joined the Navy, did my basic training in San Diego then off to Norfolk Va. for GMG School (Gunners mate Guns) Then took a course in small arms training, and survival. From there i was given orders to the USS Wm. Wood DD-715 which was an old world war two destroyer, immediately got under way for a Cuban island patrol and war games. Spent three months off the coast of Cuba and returned to Va. where i was transferred to the Claude V. Ricketts DDG-5 witch was a newer guided missile Destroyer with nuclear capabilities, surface to air tarter missiles, an ASROC torpedo launcher and a 5"-54 gun mount with a range of 15 miles, fore and aft. She was a fighting ship stem to stern and i was very proud to serve on her. After several months in port got under way again for Cuba, where we spent several months patrolling the coast and everyone was hoping Castro would try to show his muscle, our group which consisted of one aircraft carrier, six destroyers, one battleship several landing craft and one hell of a lot of gung-ho --ready to kick butt Marines. Didn't see much action but we enjoyed scaring the heck out of the communist Cubans.:big_smile: From there we were deployed to Florida for some r/r before going on a six month cruise in the Atlantic. Of the six years i spent in the Navy four of them were spent patrolling the Atlantic and overseas off the coast of Italy, Spain, France the virgin islands and Cuba. So a good part of the 70s for me was spent thousands of miles away from the States dreaming about American girls, fishing, hamburgers and fries, the back seat at the drive in movies, American beer, my beloved 58 Chevy, and last but not least my family and freinds.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The 70's!

Brought back a lot of great memories Tanya.

I'll just post a couple pictures from that time. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now I would have sworn you was collectin social security by then. LOL! I'm sorry. Thats one of the things I luv about you Dayton. All the pics you have to back up what ya say. LOL!

19. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    EVIL KNEVIL BABY!!!:tounge_out:

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, according to his filmography, "Grease" was his next venture, as far as movies go. But my FIRST thought upon seeing this question was "Urban Cowboy" :confused2:. Maybe you can clarify for us, Mr.Helring :smile2:.

Oh yeah, I remembered something I forgot :lol:. The "Roots" miniseries....watched every single installment of it with my parents, a lot of us kids did. It was a big topic at school on the days after the episodes. I also recall watching the miniseries "Rich Man, Poor Man" with my dad. During a few scenes in that one, he made me leave the room :wink:. Oh, that BAD girl Susan Blakely :big_smile:.