The 10% that scew it up for everyone.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Mar 27, 2009.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    A couple weeks ago my aunt passed away. Aunt Ginny was 101 and had a great life. She lived in a little town and went to a little church and was friends with everybody. When someone was in need - she was the first to help. Many people stayed with her over the years when something was wrong with thier home like a fire or storm damage. She was a very giving person. In her will she stated "anything I have that someone needs, give it to them and whatever is left donate to the disabled american vets org." I read her will in church wednesday night (about 20 people were there) and stated that we (the family) would have an open house saturday starting at noon. Anyone that wanted a momento to remember her by was welcome.

Her church got behind this and it evolved into a sort of remembrance/picnic. Her pastor was there and most of the congregation and it was a day she would have loved. Some people took some small things to remember her by, most just came to remember her and celebrate her long life.

However - the greedy also showed up. There was a group of them that showed up early and wanted to pick thru her stuff NOW and not wait until noon. I didn't know these people and asked them to wait until noon. They begrudgingly (is that a word?) waited. At noon the pastor started a small remembrance prayer and then invited everyone to participate in aunt Ginny's last wishes. As I said before, most were there to remember her. The early group had already "taken inventory" and went into the house like a tornado. One guy (he came with a truck and trailer and help) was taking whatever they could grab.

When it was done, most people were just standing back and trying to stay out of the way of the greedy hoard. The lightbulbs on the bathroom vanity were gone, her pantry was totally empty, trash cans, garden hose, broom, dishes, pots and pans, beds, linens, towels, even the soap was gone. 95% went into the truck and trailer. I asked the pastor if he knew who they were and he replied "I've never seen them before".

My aunt would not have stopped them and would have said that they needed the things or they wouldn't have taken them. The last thing she would have done is tell someone to stop.

The Disabled American Vetrans Org. got nothing. I had to go buy a broom and trash cans to clean up the mess that was left.

There is a definite difference between needy and greedy.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats the sorryest thing I have ever heard. I hope they can still sleep after that display of greed. some folks stoop to outrageous lows when the freebies come out.:crazy:

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    That really sucks what happened to your Aunt's belongings! But sleep well knowing that what comes around goes around! Those heartless thieves will get what they deserve before long!

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i think that what u said on here needs to be written as a letter to the editor with the local paper there so everyone in the community can have an idea of what went on and maybe the people who did this will read it too and maybe feel embarrassed. (but i doubt it)

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Absolutely despicable.

What I really want to say about people like that would probably get me dismissed from the board...W

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Russell:

Read your post earlier. As usual with me when a post such as yours appears I sometimes jump in and shoot my mouth off or I go by it and rack it up to life as we know it nowadays. I left yours and after some thought now am back.

Shameful actions, degrading to your Aunt's memory, a woman who gave and distributed to all freely, greedy and virtually thieving without punishment on the part of the perpetrators.

So what. (Don't get your hair up yet, I like you and I like how you think. Let me continue with my thoughts). This stuff happens more and more frequently. Our papers, if you read them any more, full of this kind of junk and worse. Our televisions, if you watch them any more, loaded with story after story of similar things only in different parts of our country or world.

So what I say.

And for this reason. Your Title. That string of words often put at the start of threads to indicate to a possible reader what the content might contain. An accurate title you penned Russell and a more than adequate explanation of what you observed. Adequate responses to your post, well meant and well thought. All responses to what was done by this 10 % of the didlos that inhabit our society. I quite honestly don't know how I would have handled what you saw occur.

Perhaps someday the title of your piece could read-

The 90 % that keep the 10 % of the screwups under control.

It seems that nowadays, and pick any subject you might want or as controversial as you might want and it seems the minority rules and dictates. The majority sits on the sidelines and P&M's and watches it happen and society erodes further everyday until that 10 % shall become greater and greater because the 90 % let it happen without putting up a fight.

John.

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im extremely sorry to hear about what happened....Your aunt sounds like an amazing person and i am sure the world was a better place with her here...anyway i just wanted to say sorry and i hope these people learn what being a good person is....

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks John. You saved me the embarrassment of stating similar thoughts with less diplomacy and civility. I wouldn't have put up with it for one minute!

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The absolute gall of some peoples actions just leave me speechless!! I doubt seriously I could have contained myself.:angry_2:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The problem is, by those low life's standards, they did nothing wrong. It was entirely within their rights. Seems like some mama's and poppa's just didn't do their job right. Bet you check the pawn shops / thrift stores, you'll find the property, and those clowns will be setting back on the high they got from her life work. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breathe.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I guess most folks would feel as you do. I sure hope the folks that came to "get what they could" actually needed the stuff and could use it. As far as the kind hearted lady, I'm sure she would say if they needed it they were welcome to it. If they were just greedy, and selfish rest assured their time will come too. It would kinda spoil the atmosphere for the rest of the folks though. May the lady rest in peace.

12. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Aunt Ginny would have kept her cool. She always found something good or positive in most everything. If the guys had come up to me and said something like - After everyone takes what they want, I would be glad to take whatever is left because this is how I feed my family, or something on that order - I would have helped him load the truck.

All said and done I think aunt Ginny would have been pleased with the day.

[the things that got to me the most were the lightbulbs and the soap]

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well if they needed it she still helped them if they was just greedy it will come back on them i reckon

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sorry to hear of your loss,,,She sounded like a Real Good Person!!

as for the rest of it,,, The Positive Memories will Remain....

The "bad taste" will eventually be forgotten....

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Russel sounds like Aunt Ginny was more together than her church and brethren.
    :wink:

16. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Russell, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of Aunt Ginny - she sounds like a wonderful lady.

Again, sorry for your loss.

17. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Russelll I'm sorry for your loss of a family member and may God be with you and your family.