Thawing livers after freezing them.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vacatfish, May 7, 2006.

1. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Man there has to be a faster better way of thawing them after freezing them so they wont go bad.

I froze a 1lb batch of chicken liver so it would not go bad on me. when i went to thaw it out i did not think it was really going to take to long what a laugh. a hour or 2 later them bad boys was only half thawed out.

Most the time i don't freeze them i buy them and head for the catfish.

But i would like to see some input on faster easyer ways to thaw the livers. im sure this wont only help me but also others.

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Set the container in warm water. That will cut the thaw time.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Put the livers into a large ziploc bag so that you can spread them out so that they form a layer only one liver thick, then freeze them that way. A round ball of livers will take the longest to thaw, and a rectangular block will thaw only a little faster. If you need even faster thawing, simply dip the ziploc bag of livers down into the water.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Jerry is right, put them in a ziplock bag and make a thinner layer of them and you can put them in warm water to help speed the process up.

5. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Well i guess im not getting the water warm enuff cause of fear of almost cooking them.

Cause the siplock bag is how i do them when i freeze them. thanks for the help.

6. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Do them like Jtrew said, put them in a sink full of cold water and set a pan full of water on top of them to keep them under water. About 2 hours and they'll be thawed.
    When they are about half thawed, you might have to unzip the bag, put it under water up to the zip line and then reseal it. That'll get all the air out of it so it floats less and stays more underwater. The more underwater it stays, the quicker it'll thaw.
    If I'm going fishing on Saturday and have frozen liver, I take them out on Wednesday and put them in the fridge. They'll be thawed by Saturday. If it's a last minute trip, see above.
    Rat

7. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Think i just may start doing that rat. i was late getting started on my last fishing trip cause i had to thaw the livers.

And about 2 hours is what it did take.

Thanks to all for the wonderful info you all are a big help.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, I wouldn't use water any warmer than lukewarm to thaw the livers.

9. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Yep i was just wondering how hot i should get the water thanks for the fast answer.