Thawed vs. freshly caught for Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I know I've posted this thread before, but alot of new members have joined since then and I would like there opions too.

Do frozen shad,bluegills,skipjack thawed out and then cut work as good or nearly as good as freshly killed then cut. Its hard to net bait sometimes so I have alot of frozen bluegill for the spring ready.

I doubt they work as good as freshly caught and killed bait, but I want to know what kind of success anyone has had with prefrozen bait.

2. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I would say at least 80% of my fish every year come from frozen.The guy in my av came off frozen:)

3. el_pescador

el_pescador New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Either one will work, but i have most of my luck on freshly caught. You cant go wrong any time of the year.

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've caught catfish on frozen and fresh cutbait. I would prefer to have fresh, but some times I just don't feel like going and catching bait. I would say whichever you have available is the best.

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I use frozen bait and I think it works great. It might not work as well as fresh bait, but I can't really tell the difference. I prefer fresh bait, but that is mainly because I like to collect live bait from the many creeks that are in my area. I think that bait collecting is part of the fun of fishing for me. Both work really well.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will use frozen shad and skipjack...I dont think they work as good as fresh..But I like to keep some frozen bait on hand at all times.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Fresh is almost always better but frozen can be good also. I like to keep some shad frozen for "Hard Times" in the winter....lol:)

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have always had better luck using fresh bait. I have a problem with my frozen bait falling apart in the current. I do freeze bait, like you said when all else fails frozen bait is better than no bait, but I personally havent had as good of luck with it.

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

While you will find many members pledge to nothing but fresh shad...I use frozen when needed.

My fishing buddy and me fish several places where catching fresh shad can take several hours to never, depending on the season and time of day. For these waters we always have frozen shad as a backup if the cast net does not cooperate.

I would much rather fish frozen shad than hotdogs or x-bait.

As far as success...we've had nights where it was a contest to be the guy to cast out as the cats would pick up the bait in 10 seconds forcing the other guy to reel in and get the net ready. Other places we each have out several rods with no action. I think it basically boils down to if they are biting, but fresh shad will always outfish frozen. But from my experience, at most places frozen shad will outfish x-bait.

10. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do any of you guys do anything special to your bait that you freeze or anything? It always seems that my frozen baits always fall apart so easily and was just wondering if yall that use it a lot have any tricks or tips to prevent this?

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I take my frozen bait out of the freezer to go fishing, I place it in a cooler of ice, I cut it while still frozen and this helps it stay on the hook longer..I have had flathead hit frozen hard shad withing seconds of it being in the water.

12. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    +1 on keeping it on ice in a cooler. Maybe my frozen bait stays as well as it does, because I vacuum seal it. I freeze the baits (cut carp or whole frozen creek chubs) first and then place them in the vacuum bags. This keeps the moister from being pulled out of the bait. The baits thawing in the water let the juices release slowly and the flavor lasts longer that way. This works very well in the spring time. Catfish are use to looking for winter-kill bait. That is what I believe this resembles.

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have caught more fish on fresh bait than frozen,but i fish with fresh about 95% of the time.but the times i do use frozen bait i havent had many runs

14. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Frozen works just fine. I use it in the winter time so I don't have to deal with a wet cast net in the cold. Eric Simcox of the BOC staff just caught a 75 ponder on frozen Skipjack if I am not mistaken.

15. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That way you dont handle it after it thaws as much and it stays on better.

16. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Vacuum sealing skipjack makes a big difference. Scale it and cut it up while still fresh, vacuum seal it and it's almost as good as fresh when thawed.

17. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Using fish of a size so the bone is left in gives the meat more surface to bond to. Also salt toughens the meat, makes it stringy, but it sure is rough on non- stainless hooks! I have even wrapped larger baits in cheesecloth.

18. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Thanks, now I'll feel a little more confident when using my thawed out bait

19. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I think one difference is if you freeze it your self, reason being I read some where that a lot of frozen shad you buy has had the oil removed ( cant tell by looking ) and thats what puts the sent in the water, but saying all of that I still prefer very fresh.

20. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm with Grumpy. I put up my FRESH bait in a plastic bag and seal it with a vacuum sealer.Without air the bait stays firm and still smells fresh even after being frozen for months.Even shad that normally get soft after freezing ,stay firm.I do the same with shrimp and clam meat.Just be sure that you let it air thaw out of the way of the sun.Any left over frozen bait is cut up really small and refrozen in vacuum bags for use the next time out for chum.(note:) )re-use the same bags.

BILL