Thawed VS Freshly Caught - Bluegill for flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ravensmavsfan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Do thawed out but fresh (kind of fresh) bluegill work at all? Or do they have to be freshly killed and cut?
    I want to use some thawed bluegill for flathead bait this weekend, but i've never tried thawed out bluegill cut bait before.
    Mabye I should just catch some bluegill while i'm at the lake,and then cut them.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your in ohio dont even bother with the flats unless your at a warmwater outlet! but if your intent on it and you can get freshly caught gill id stick with them. i honestly have never tried frozen gills.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fresh is always best..but if all you have is thawed out might as well give them a try..I dont think the flats are hitting in ohio right now..water is to cold.

4. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I've found that using frozen Bluegills you end up with a soggy fish and one that doesn't hold well on the hook. It's really not all that hard to catch a few fresh gills and use them instead or goldfish, minnows,shad. In the spring I use cut frozen shad which I buy from a local bait outlet which works well on my lines. At least the price is well worth it for I can run a 25 hook line for about $2.00's

5. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I usually don't fish for flats, so i'm unexpirenced. But i figured they would bite this weekend because its been in the 20's for a while and its going up to the mid to high 40's. So i figured they be biting from the sudden warm weather.

6. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Well if you can get out for the Christmas weekend your doing well.

7. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I may go out tomarrow or Friday and try my luck because I'm having family over Saturday and SANTA IS COMMING SUNDAY.....

8. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Good luck with that, i'm only 15 and fishing is my life so i go fishing every time it warms up a little :) .

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ravensfan,

We'll be fishing a warm water discharge where the water is sometimes 90 degrees shooting out in the winter, but I dont expect a Flat, unless the good Lord himself places one on my line. Don't worry though....... it should be a great time to catch Channel Cats! Good luck. The frozen gills will work, but the fresher the better. What part of Ohio are you from? I have plenty of frozen Shad & Skipjack, if you need some.

10. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I live in cincinnati but i'm pretty stocked up on bluegill too small to eat in my freezer. Thanks do.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always keep some bluegills frozen especally over the winter that way in spring i can got right at it.When i use bluegills i find i have more luck with the heads then anyother part but thats just me,use whatever is working i always say.

12. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    When you use the heads where do you usually hook them. Through the eyes?

13. bandit06

bandit06 New Member

State:
    TEXAS, Lake Fork
    Fresh always works better than frozen since they are predators and prefer live bait. I always hook heads through the eyes.

14. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I always hook heads through the eyes,but make sure you use a hook large enough that the bait doesnt fill the gap.good luck

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I never froze any Gills but have always seen fresh cut work better than frozen on the other cut baits. For me I found out that the hook can come back out if hookin heads through the eyes so I hook them through the tough part of the head and never had one stolen or come off this way.

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

16. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A buddy of mine and I have noticed the same thing. We have caught a few on the body sections of a bluegill, but the flatties we catch on 'gills come almost exclusively on head sections. I surmised that it had to do with the fact that when we cut that section, there is none of the spiny ray included in the cut, and even though a catfish is completely capable of swallowing down that mangle of spines, they prefer something that'll just "shoot down the hatch" so-to-say. Now channels don't seem to care, as long as it'll fit in their mouths, but not flatties. We've even switched which rods on the boat have heads and tails, the the rods getting hit switched. My buddy and I also I also are assuming that the head section probably has the most intense sent distributing because it contains an array of vital organs still, where a body cut you might just get some lingering gut which generally washes out pretty quick, if it's not casted out. But the gut lining, the heart, brain, eyes(punctured from hooking), gills...you name it...all still there in the head cut, even after a good hit....just something we pondered on a couple of long nights out. And to make this more relavant to this post, we have begun catching bait, using the fresh heads for flats, and taking the body sections home to freeze for channel fishing, or grind into chum(which honestly hasn't been much help :cursing:)... :D

17. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would go with the freash blugill. head or tail will do fine. Well i seem to have pretty good luck with either or just use the whole dang thing.. But what ever the main bait fish in the area is, is the best choice. but good luck in your quest

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    No i usualy hook them through the mouth with the point comming out through the top of the head between the eyes.I find i get better hook ups like that rather then hooking them through the eyes for some reason.But some folks hookin through the eyes and have sucess but i dont do it that way.

19. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I take em from the bait tank on the back porch,bag em up and put em in the freezer while they are still floppin. I do this so I have some for cut bait when catchin em becomes much too labor intensive. LOL! I use em for catchin channels and they work just fine on them. Its actually pretty funny cause ya can hear em floppin in the freezer for a bit before they lock up. Sick SOB ain't I? LOL!

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The reason that fresh gills may work better is because the body oils and juices seem to dry out when frozen. Those things seem to be what attract the cats. Its the same with shrimp for cats or if fishing saltwater. Fresh dead always seems to work better than frozen.