Thawed shad or fresh cut bluegills ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, Jul 20, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's better channel cat bait thawed shad (frozen fresh 2 months ago) cut, or live bluegill cut on site ? I got both . -Thanks

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I think fresh is always better than anything pre-frozen, and i have the same success with shad and bluegill anyways. So i say the "live bluegill cut".

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Because I've been too lazy to drive out to my shad lake lately, I've been using thawed shad right next to live and fresh cut bluegill or green sunfish. The fresh cut bluegill have produced 5-6 nice blue cats, the live bait and thawed shad hasn't produced anything. A buddy brought some fresh shad one night, and I got a nice blue on that.

Conclusion: Most any fresh cut bait will outproduce a frozen shad, at least for river blue cats.

Now I've caught a lot of fish on frozen shad over the years, but if I have a choice I'll use the fresh.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It's simple really....If you have both, try both. The fish will tell you what they prefer...W

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Fresh is the way to go if you can, frozen does not hold up unless it is vacuum sealed.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Fresh is usually better but as metalman said try both and they will let you know.

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Fresh the thawed stuff isnt going to stay on the hook very well.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I also prefer fresh to frozen but if you have both try both and if you only have one it better than nothing. Fish both the fish will let you know what they want.

9. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Well i agree with everyone, try both. Fresh is usually better but I've caught a bunch on frozen shad.

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i agree let the fish tell u what they want.

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sorry Guys, to me frozen ,ain't going to get-it, no more will I waste a fishing trip,if all I have is frozen bait, (i'm sorry-I ain't got any frozen bait), If I don't have time to catch fresh bait,then I don't have time to go fishing....just my opinion......steve.......