That was fun! Trout fishing in Smokey Mtn. NP

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by DANZIG, May 24, 2007.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Talk about completely different, Fly fishing wild trout in the Smokey Mtns. Had a great time but could not keep from thinking about how to get 'em back alive to use for bait! LOL!

I'm told I did well for a rookie, 15 on the bank, lost a bunch more and missed more strikes than I can count. I'll have to say though, it seemed like an awful lot of trouble to catch a fish.

All in all though, I will do it again.

Stayed in Townsend Tenn. If ya get down that way the shop to hit is "Little River Outfitters" Friendly and helpful Owners and Staff. They didn't even make too much fun of my $20 Wally World fly rod.

I can recommend the Town, the Shop, and the Fishing. And it's hard to beat the scenery in the SMN Park!

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I am with you..
    I love the Smokies I haven't fished for trout in years but you are right it is fun.
    Hope to go again in June one of my favorite places is Cades Cove thats where my (avitar) Picture was made with an old log cabin in the background.
    What did you use for bait?
    W also like Tellico Plains near the smokies in Tenn.
    Lots of streams up that way too with a lot less people.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Cades Cove? We were right in the neighborhood but never made it over.

We did the West prong, Little River, Middle prong up the mountain (Tremont?) and East prong up by Elkmont. West and East they liked, I think it was a Lil' Sally Stonefly with a Parachute Adams picking up a few too. Middle prong was all Parachute Adams. hard to keep 'em on the water without a strike. (when my rookie butt could keep em out of the trees!) LOL!
    There were quite a few folks about but it seemed most were hiking. Did not have any trouble finding water to ourselves.

Little River Outfitters has a good fishing report on their website, Today Byron says, "..Hatches are varied but a small yellow Stonefly pattern is recommended. Also try a Light Cahill. Drop a small nymph using 6x tippet off a small Yellow Stimulator and you will connect. But don't strike to hard.
    You will be much better off using long leaders and light tippet. Fishing has been pretty good throughout the day but really great in the evenings during the last couple of hours before dark..."
    I doubt that I will have a chance to get back down there till next spring but will be looking forward to it.

4. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks,
    Do yourself a favor and take the ride through Cades Cove next time your that way.
    I like early morning or late evening.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Sounds like a lot of fun there.

I also like Tellico plains also. As it not crowed and the Tellico river is great..

Pete

6. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Pete,
    Been gong there for years.
    Tried to buy a place near there last year but the deal fell through.
    Still looking.
    We aso like the Northeast Part of Norh Carolina up above Ashville Near the Tenn. N.C. Border.