That catfish gave me AIDS! - Fishing & blood-borne diseases

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, May 20, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Ok, not really. But I've always been curious if we as fishermen are in danger of being exposed to blood-bourne illnesses from fish? The way our hands get cut up, combined with bringing fish aboard bleeding profusely...I've always wondered if I have anything to worry about. Anybody know?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Who cares. LOL! I'll handle the fish the bait and everything else. Wrap a big gob of raw liver on a hook. Splash your hands around a bit in the river and commence to inhalein a sammich. LOL!

3. Corndogg69

Corndogg69 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The greatest risk would probably be from infection of cuts and especially puncture wounds from the cats. If additional people were to handle the cats at the same time those pathogens could and would probably be passed on to others. My dad took one through the hand one time and it got infected. It was a long drawn out ordeal to get him well. Handle them with care, they can be quite painfull.

4. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    infections possible, blood bourne pathagen, impossible. as long as you are healthy the more germs and bacteria exposed to the better. it will only strengthen your immune system. not being exposed to these things as much will increase your chances of infections and sickness your own body cant deal with without drugs.like antibiotics. antibacterial soaps and cleansers are very bad for us. handling fish then inhaleing a sandwich will help you stay healthy. lol, but true

5. Herogre

Herogre New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks to my wife I know very well that cat fishing has risks.She has been sent to the hospital 2x.The first time was from using chicken livers.As she was baiting her hook she stuck her finger.She never thought anything about it and washed her hand off and kept on fishing.By the next afternoon she was running a high fever.And had to spend several days in the hospital for salmonella poisoning.
    The second time that sent to her to the hospital was from a 4-6 inch bullhead.One night about three years ago,she was fishing and got a bite.But when she reeled in all that was on the end of her line was a huge bunch of moss.She grabbed ahold of the moss to pull it off and found out the hard way there was a bullhead attached to the hook.The spine went into her hand in between her thumb and first finger and towards the palm of her hand.Two days later I finally got her to go to the doctors.By that time she couldn't use her hand.It was swelled up and puss was oozing out.Come to find out that the spine had hit one of the bones in her hand.And a piece of the spine had broke off and was still in her hand.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My God. She better quit while she's ahead.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    After that I am sure you nicknamed her Lucky LOL
    PS Welcome to the BOC

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with you,if river water don,t kill it,then it,s okay with me.With all the different stuff out there and in the water,you,d have to give up fishin to be 100% safe.With all the stuff I,ve put in my body over the last 50 years,not counting 2 packs a day of smokes a day,I doubt it will be a catfish thats my cause of death.LOL:wink:

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ITS NOT FUN IF ITS NOT DANGEROUSE,IVE BEEN BEAT AND CUT SLICED UP, HAD CRACKHEADS COMEDOWN, HAD TO RUN FROM WARDENS A FEW TIMES FOR MINOR AFENCES, FELL DOWN, GOT COLDS, BUT, LIFE IN GENERAL YOUR DIEY EVERYDAY, I FIGER WEN THE LORD SAYS ITS TIME ITS TIME, SO I DONT CARE, I TAKE ALOT OF CHANCES, IVE LIVED EXTREM

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Catch aids from catfish?...naw atleast not from the south..now those cats from san francisco might be different lmao:eek:oooh:Billy

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im like some of you other folks i dont worry about it to much,i slap some old liver or something nasty ive come up with on my hook dip my hands in the water and then open a can of tobacco and put some in my mouth.Heck some of you pee on your hands when a cat sticks ya couldnt be much worse then that lol:smile2:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yuppers thats how we roll:crazy::cool2::wink:

13. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Amen Brother:smile2:

14. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nope, I beleive the nickname was "Idiot":angry:

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was fishen so much on the MO last year my hands got beat up enough I had to stop for a few weeks. Cuts, scrapped off skin, hooks sticken me with sharp points ect. Cleanen fish, dressing bait, the mo river water its self, grabben blues by the jaw when my dumb butt left the net @ home. My hands got infected good went sore and stiff. Doc just told me to stop fishen a few weeks and give my hands a lil time to heal and fight it off. Kept worken the whole time to. And shad scales are great on a samich:wink:

16. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    If you pull out a catfish with a pink scarf on and a fin on it's hip, you might want to handle that one with a gripper...especially if it lisps! :eek:oooh:

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    that post above me was wrong, lol no thats got me rolling man, id like to fish with you if you made coments like that all night , i couldent breath