That aint no log

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by hawgman, May 30, 2008.

1. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got to tell this story even though I don't have any pictures to back it up. Last week I set out a few lines in Hog Bayou down close to Tivoli, Texas. I caught a few keeper cats on the first day so I decided to leave the lines out for a few days and come back everyday and run them. On day two I went up river to check the lines and was watching each one as I passed them up to see if they were moving. I could tell some of them had fish on so I was excited about that knowing I would go home with something. Well I started running the lines going back down river and when I came uo to the second one I could see it moving pretty good. I knew this one would be a big one. As I got closer to the line I could see the limb I was tied off to was broken and all twisted up. My excitment level began to rise right away in anticipation of hauling in that Big one. I pulled up to the limb and grabbed the line and tried to pull it up but it would not move. Well I thought maybe my line had just hooked on a log and was swaying in the current. As I continued to pull the line started coming up and it felt pretty much like a big old log ( no movement just dead weight). The log came up to the surface and all of a sudden I realized I was looking a an alligator tail that was very much alive. I want to tell you it did not take me long to turn loose of that line and I was trying to figure out how to stretch my 18 ft Xpress into a 100 ft Xpress so I could have enough room to get away from that monster. My heart was running faster than my feet every thought about running. I had to settle down for a few minutes and think about what I was going to do. I knew I needed to get him loose from the line but I did not want to pull him up again. I finally decided to pull him up again and see if I could cut him loose close to the hook. This is what I did and Mr Gator and me were both glad to be loose from each other. I can tell you this my heart did not slow down for the rest of the day but what an experience that was. My Boat is 18 ft long and Mr Gator was close to half the length of the boat so I figure he was 6-7 ft long. Way to much for me to want to tackle. Ohh the joys of fishing . Arent they great

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    You sir are braver then I am :eek:oooh:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's awesome! i wish i could see that! glad you're okay.

4. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Glad that you are alright but if that had happened to me I would have been one line short!!!LOL!!! :big_smile::wink:

5. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    You my friend have a painted quite the picture I could just imagine what happend with out any videos or pictures.:eek:oooh::crazy: I don't think I would have givin it a second thought. Great story and god bless you for being a fisherman.

"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments"

6. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    Maybe we should just call you Gator! :smile2: What a day! I think my Heart would still be racing. I dont think i would have been trying to cut that Hook loose very close to him. Just let it rust out. LOL Glad your safe to fish another day. That is a experience you will remember for a lifetime. I think it would make me a little leary next time i was checking lines. Tight lines! WITH CATFISH I HOPE. LOL

7. ChrisCraig

ChrisCraig New Member

State:
    Texas
    Grew up in Vistoria and fishe that area alot growing up. There are plenty of those guys there. Gotta say that I miss that area (even though you get a few visitor to do without).

8. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    What you needed was a cajun to show you how to clean a gator:wink:

9. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Aint that the truth. Them cajuns can have all them Gators they want. I think I will stick to the Cats and a few gar.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great story and a good ending Mark. If that would have been me I would have needed to change my pants.:smile2:

11. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with Mickey... :smile2:

12. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Man that was a good story hawgman. Like others stated, I think I would have been short one limb line LOL! I'll pull a gar up to retrieve my hook but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to pull my knife, cut the line, fire up the outboard and buggity buggity on down the river far away from that gator fast enough!!!!

13. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    Anyone call for a CAJUN.I just love fresh gator meat.