That ain't no catfish.

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Dec 30, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thursday night was clear and cool with a light breeze as I boarded the Mirage at Port Hueneme. After signing in and choosing a bunk to stow my gear, I went up on deck to meet a few of my fellow passengers and the crew. Seem as if everyone had a positive outlook even the few greenbacks that were aboard. Around 10 pm the lines were cast off and we were underway, as we cleared the harbor I went below to sack out.
    At 6 AM I woke and climbed up to the galley to have a cup of eye opener or two and the crew were putting away the squid lights and other stuff they had out while we were anchored off Santa Cruz Island to make a little bait. they pulled the anchor and we ran to the west end of the island and out a little ways to try a spot that had been producing a few days before at about 80'. It produced a few thrills for the people that hooked up with the rays but nothing else so Capt. Joe decided to run the gap between Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands. Once North of the gap we stopped and dropped for a slow pick in about 250' of water good sized fish but slow to bite so away we went further to the West a ways.
    Capt Joe was following the 60 fathom contour (180') and we stopped a few other spots along the line but each stop produced just a few fish.
    I was using a 8oz weight on 30lb mono and had no problem holding the bottom, that should tell you there was very little current and no current means the fish are not predisposed to bite.
    Along about 2pm the Captain decided to move up to the 50 fathom edge and we found a little watter flow, I switched my 8oz for 10oz and was back to holding the bottom. the bite picked up immediately with the increase in current and we loaded up on Vermilion rock fish, Copper rock fish, a few Cabazon many Blue bass and some good sized White fish. Along with those the person fishing next to me caught two nice Sheeps head, one of which took the jackpot for the day at about 7.5lbs. In addition to the fish already mentioned we also caught a few Boccaccio and many Ling cod that were released. Most were of legal size but you know the season is closed from the first of December until April. Next year will be very good for Ling cod. Around 4:30pm we started back, the crew set up the filer board and went to work and I went back below for a nap on the ride back.
    Up again at 7:30 settled up my galley tab and fish cleaning, tipped the crew, who by the way did an excellent job all day long and gathered up my gear to be ready to go ashore. The boat docked at 8:30, every one got their fish and thanked the crew for a good trip.

Attached Files:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Looks and sounds like you had a really good time out on the water.Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I'll take those anyday absolutely my favorite to eat. Looks like I need to hit San Diego and go on the boats to Mexico for my hit at those for the time being.

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That's the way it is until March at least. I'm still hopping for early WSB, the squid are showing up already so the WSB won't be far behind, I hope.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom... see the next post

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom thanks for the up date.... not to much swell to contend with? Looks like you had a great time. Are you thinking about the delta trip?

bayrunner ray

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    The swell wasn't to bad going out I slept through it and once we got to the Islands It was broken up by them. Nice day.
    Man, I can't stop thinking about the delta trip. I just need to hunt up my check book and I'll send you my share of the rental. I have to figure what I can bring along to help out. Do you suppose we should plan a dinner menu? Or do you think pot luck? Or every man for himself?

Can anyone tell me how to Edit a post I can't seem to figure it out and I need to change somethings in my last fish report.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Tom It looks like you had a nice day man I love going on those boats:0a22:

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    OK seeing as how I can't edit what I posted, I want to apologize for my poor math. The proper numbers should have been, 30 fathoms (180') and 25 fathoms (150'). One fathom is equal to six feet just so you know.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I always wanted to know fathoms. Now I know.

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah Brian, as an private boater on the ocean I've known what the conversion is for years. Just while writing that report I suffered a major brain fart.

12. gilmafam

State:
    California

13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray if you need any help putting things togather let me know, I can run down the hill to your place on a short notice.

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    nice story and pics, thanks for sharing.