Thanksgiving - What are you having?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by catoon, Nov 9, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    what every one gonna have for thks givin

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well I don't know about the food, but........................................

I KNOW THAT I BE GETTING LOTS OF HUGS/KISSES FROM MY GIRLS AT HOME AND I WILL BE ABLE TO SAY GOOD BYE TO IRAQ!!!

(wife/daughter)

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well i don't know yet but it will good whatever it is

4. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I would have to agree, whatever Mama makes will be quite nice!!

5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Karen insists that we have turkey, deviled eggs, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies, and dips on the table EVERY thanksgiving. This year the money is very tight, so I don't know if we will have it ALL, but it will be good no matter what.

The whole family sits and eats together, and we have a good time...

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    yall bein together is reason for thks

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    We get a 20 - 25lbs turkey every year, freshly killed. I take the bird and put at least a pound of butter under the skin and in the cavity. A little salt/pepper/garlic yummmmmmmmm. We make loads of fresh potatoes with bacon and more butter of course :wink:, then the dressing which is good also but my favorite is the turkey and potatoes. The rest of the family bring things in so that we are not cooking everything. Yams, waldorf salad Ham and other good Thanksgiving stuff.

We have it at our house so that for one we dont have to go to 2 or 3 Thanksgiving parties LOL and all we have to do is clean up so it makes it easy.

8. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We've been brining our turkeys for 3 years now and it's the best I ever ate...very moist and almost impossible to overcook. We do deviled eggs and all that jazz too, and pies, and that green veggie cassorole that you make with the onion topping. I do a corn cassorole with eggs, and oregano in it and roasted peppers heated and put in a paper bag for a few minutes so they peel real easy, then put in the corn...it's yummy too. I didn't make it last year I hope I haven't lost my recipe for it :/ Of course dressing too.

If it's just me and John this year, we'll probably just do a little bit instead of all we usually do but we'll eat good for a week. LOL!!!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We allways brine and smoke a turkey ,and have tons of side dishes from dressing to sweets,I gotta have my oyster dressing mmm.

10. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A

I want the recipe for that dressing, please, could you post it in the Diner, would ya???

11. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    For Thanksgiving I always make pumpkin bread pudding for breakfast. Then we have two dinners, my parents house at noon and by 5 we're at my uncle Bill's and Eldon's house. Uncle Eldon is the best cook ever, he bakes cakes and sweets from scratch for a couple of restaurants. However the older my mom gets the worse her cooking gets. A few years ago we had what is called the "Christmas incident" at my moms house. After that tragic night everyone now brings a couple of dishes a piece. The only thing we let mom cook is the ham, mashed potatoes, and scalloped potatoes.

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This year I am at the mercy of the U.S. Army cook contractors, they do a fair job, nothing like eating with the Spanish and Italians and you having to explain why you are having a meal like that. Ham, Turkey, and all the fixings, but if I were home, it would be a brined turkey in orange juice and salt, then injected with Japaleno and butter, then that and a ham put on the smoker, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, pecan pie, punkin and cookies and cakes..

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hope your mother dont read this.....ha ha......I know about holiday "incidents" my sister made the turkey one year, pitiful......lol, it was more like Turkey Jerky, she cooked it until it had the consistancy of jerkey, however, I do have to say, it had a beautiful brown color.......needless to say, from that point on, she brought the simple stuff.

14. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I usually keep it simple. Turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, whatever veggies I feel like. For desert, cheesecake with warm cranberry/orange topping.(I found a great recipe for a quickie cheesecake. I'll post it when I get home.) A bottle or 2 of wine. I cook, my wife supervises, and makes sure I don't mess it up!!

The most important thing is having the kids home. This year, my mom & dad might make it down. That would be GREAT!!

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Word has it we might have real wild bird with all the fixens...Vittles and lots of em yes sir gonna get gluttonious(LOL)

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    A brined turkey. Smashed red taters with lots of bacon,garlic and butter and gravy. Green bean caserole, cant do without. I get the turkey going about 5 in the morning really slow and go trout fishing. Then its football "DALLAS COWBOYS" and beer and food. :wink:

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    There is nothing mild about a mild case of food poisoning.

18. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess I would have probably banned her also......lol.....

19. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like lots of fun and traditions!! I am very excited for everyone and I hope everyone will make some new memories!

20. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hot dogs maybe made out of turkey