Thanksgiving pond fishing advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by longbow310, Nov 14, 2008.

1. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    Iwas wondering if any one had any advice they could give me to hopefuly be secassful with catching some cats on a private pond. The pond is about 10 acres large and i have access to a boat (dosen't have a fish finder though). I also have stink bait and chicken livers I can use.
    Any help apreaciated.

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    if It has a trolling motor. get some fresh cut bait and drift it.:big_smile:

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Try shrimp (especially the marinated ones) - channels love 'em :wink:

4. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Doug, I think you and Pat would drift that retention pond out by Walmart if you were given the chance. Some driftin' fools.....Just don't forget the scrimps and grizzards!!

5. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    We tried, but they run us offt!!!!! :crazy:

6. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    What do they know about die-hard catfishermen?! I've checked it out though.....I think there's bream in there, honestly. Might hafta sneak down there after a few man-colas for a late-night bait run....:tounge_out:

7. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Zach do you have any idea about the bottom of this pond? If you can try and identify any channels that it may have, also structure of any kind is good. What kind of catfish are in there now? If it's strictly channel cats I would have some stink bait in the works. 10 acres is small enough you should be able to find them. If you want to better your odds go down the day before or hours before and chum it up! Good luck!

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yeap! They got real mad after we asked for a tournament sponsorship and free scrimps from the meat dept.:smile2:

9. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Yea i would go with the shrimp but make sure they are fresh and not forzen and i always peel mine seems to work better for me when i peel em good luck :smile2:

10. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I agree, peeling the shrimp seems to be better and fresh out performs frozen.
    Back when I was a kid many moons ago (starting to sound like my late papa) all I had was some pay ponds up above Easley, SC near Greenville and no boat. That was the bait of choice but chicken liver was second best too. Caught many fish and alot of times that was dinner as we didn't have much $$$ back then.
    Jonathan

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    10 acres is a good size pond. 3 keys to your success in my opinion:

1. find the deepest water

2. find water that is moving (whatever feeds the pond)

3. plenty of fresh cut bait

If you can locate the deepest water then it is possible that the cats have started to pool here. Drift it with fresh bait and see how that works. Also try drifting thru the moving water if there is any. If the fish are not schooling they will be feeding heavy getting ready for the cold water.

Experiement with different depths until you find the fish

12. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I agree that fresh is always best, but I've never tried peeling mine. Just cut the tails off and use 'me, whole or cut in half depending on the size. I try use the jumbo size whenever possible. Using a whole one cuts down on the dinks, but if that's what you're after just cut'em in half and thread'em on the hook. Then hang on 'cause them channels come a'running! :smile2:

13. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Peeling them seems to help with the scent. I also like to pinch them to somewhat squish it to further allow scent. Just my style...
    Jonathan