Thanksgiving plans

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    For those of us that have a long weekend, what are your general plans?
    Anything special? Exciting? New? Perhaps give us some of your family traditions that have been passed down thru generations.

With it only 3 weeks away, I thought we could discuss the calm before the storm. Black Friday being the day after, I have learned to do anything but shop on that Friday. Matter of fact, when I used to shop more years back, I found that Thanksgiving day was one of the least crowded days here and could do all my shopping in the afternoon and forget the Friday pandemonium.

Then would y'all like another post about WHEN men shop for Christmas or just answer it here. (Christmas Eve? LOL)

Personally, for the last 7-8 years we have taken Mother to Shoneys for dinner on Thanksgiving. She got to the age that so many people being in her home or mine aggravated her and she definitely didn't need to be cooking, so we took her one year to alleviate her stress and she loved it so much that it has become our tradition for the last few years. No cooking, no cleaning, no fuss, no muss. The food is really good here. Of course restaurant food is only as good as the purchased product by the restaurant and the cook!

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ill be busy cooking our fresh Turkey with some of my family and most of my wifes family. We started doing this at our house since we have a big living(great) room. Since we started we have bought Freshly killed Turkeys and will never go back to frozen no matter what the price they are just that good yummmmmmm.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I will be traveling to Louisiana to see my son and grand children. my grand children will get spoiled during this time. :D

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Going up to Judys mom and dads. Will be doing 1 smoked turkey and deep frying another Yum! They have a pond at the farm stocked with catfish so if the weather is nice I will have to sneak away for a bit LOL.

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ive been preparing for thanksgiving for about 7 months now.

I have been working with my dad on weekends building a family getaway cabin and it ought to be totally done and mostly furnished and ready for thanksgiving day dinner... which was the plan.

I think I might get mom off the hook and deep fry a turkey myself, since the turkey I deep fried at easter went over so well. Till then my family only had the old style oven baked time consumer turkey. They were sold on it RREAL QUICK... so I might give the call and let em all know Ill do it again for em.

As for friday the wife and I are laying low.

Come saturday morning we're gonna head north to Cadillac to be with the inlaws. Thats where I eat well and gain 5-7lbs in one sitting.... them ladies can cook!

ahhhh..... 3 weeks away. Woo hooo! Im already feeling fatter just thinkin!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I plan on deer hunting, hopefully getting a deer quick. And if the weather is decent I may go fishing also.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I Don't Know what I'll be doing. Being what I am that's a day I really have mixed feelings about.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll be workin. Gotta haul all them folks to the city for the parade and bring em back.

9. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Boilin' 2 or 3 BIG turkeys in 400' oil for about an hour each!!
    MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    We'll head to my Dad's in PA for the day of, and I'll cook a turkey of my own sometime that weekend so we can have leftovers... :)

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I'll be cooking for about....oh......350 people...start deep frying turkeys on Tue.50 or so.Baking ain't my strong point,so after about 100 pumpkin and apples pies I should get the hang of it.Can't forget peeling about 1,000 shrimp,shuckin oysters for dressing,peeling a few hundred pounds of potatoes,etc....
    Get home around midnight and enjoy a lovely hot dog or pizza and cold beer- anything but
    TURKEY
    :eek: :eek:

12. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Headed to my mom's to eat turkey and watch the Cowboy's lkick some butt. Beyond that not a whole lot until X-MAS

-brian

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    If I am remembering correct deer season (gun season) opened the day before thanksgiving and most of the men in my family would leave out early and hunt come back in the afternoon and sleep all evening after eating a BIG meal. :D

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tss Smoked Turkey And Beer

Other Than That Nothing Much. :d

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Normally the commisary on Camp Lejeune sells turkeys for 39 cents a pound and last year they had them for 19 cents.I usually buy ten or fifteen of them and make sure those folks I know that might be having a hard time get a turkey and some fixins if they need them.I cook my turkey in a plain brown paper bag with all the fixins including oyster dressing and invite anybody over that wouldn't normally cook one for themselves.I love turkey leftovers in any form so this is my favorite time of year.It gives me a chance to help out a little bit and in doing so reinforces what I have so much to be thankful for.The USO here in town cooks many turkeys and volunteers bake pies cakes etc and they feed all the Marines that cant go home and are alone for the holidays.This includes the volunteers delivering meals to the Marines on duty.PS the paper bag is an old technique of cooking and the turkey is very moist and juicy.Darn it I'm starting to lick my lips already.Hope all of you have a great Holiday also.

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    if its good weather ill be out trolling for trout if it is cold and ugly out ill be home smoking a turkey

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    we usually meet at one of the relitives house for turked and dressing and taters and gravy, :wub:

we eat and watch a comedy.

that morn i toss a trurky to the oven or the grill and have one to snack on for a few. then i take the leftover turkey and shred it up and simmer it with a pan of gravy and add some celery and onion to it. makes great sandwitched for days.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This year, we will probably have a late dinner with our kids, instead of having it here at home, the way we always have. Both of my daughters' families have really been busy lately, and we haven't been able to see each other quite as much, so I'm looking forward to spending most of the day with them, after having an earlier Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's mother who is in a nursing home.
    Jim, what you do is really great. I have done some of that before, not to that degree, though, and it always gives me a good feeling to know that I've helped someone in some small way. Most of us have so much to be thankful for. Even on a bad day, there is always someone who is worse off than us, and we should never forget that.

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Interesting, charitable, and moving posts!

Now let's hear from the other 2000 or so members. LOL.

In case I get busy at work and forget, I want to take the opportunity to wish each and every one of you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving. Remember to keep others in your heart, not just on Thanksgiving but every day of the year. Remember our service men and their families during this holiday season.

Cheryl

20. sassafrass

sassafrass New Member

State:
    Big Flat AR.
    We also have the biggest house so everyone comes here. Mom and I will cook a turkey and a ham with all the fixings. The brother and his family will bring drinks and ice. the brotherinlaw and his ex will bring dessert and bread. The rest of the family neices and nephew and familys will bring veg.and anything else they think of. I will start making desserts and candys next week. Mom will start on the decorations anytime now. we always watch the macysday parade when we cook. The kids will act like heathens and have a blast.

Then everything gets put up tell chrismas when everything is done again.