Thanksgiving Hoopla-I, Me, Mine-Thank you

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 16, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't know why and how it relates to the things I see folks talking about today. Professionalism, Thanksgiving recipes, Thankfulness, Remembering.

This is about a professional who gave me a recipe that I am thankful for and I remember him well for it. Thanks are due.

My first Real boss was in Chicago when I started in 1963. He led me through the building introducing me to staff and showing me the ropes after he hired me. "Our clients are now your clients, John" he said. "Treat them well. You are, however, the boss and we will back you up. If you want to throw them out that is your prerogative and we will back you up, no questions asked."

"There is one rule I would like you to follow. This practice is run as a We, Us, And Ours practice. I do not like to hear I, Me, Mine used."

"Yes we will help you with your problem." (not I)
    "Our staff will get it done." (not my)
    "Yes, those of us involved will discuss it." (not those of mine)

That stuck with me like a knife driven into a hunk of cork. As I became older and a little wiser it helped me make determinations on who I dealt with, I see that in a number of individuals on this forum and that is why I stay.

Thanks Postbeetle.

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That's some of the best advice I have ever heard John. If only all companies worked like that and people thought like that in their own lives, we would have a much brighter world.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    There is no "I" in Team or Brotherhood.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    See, John, all that boss was doing was teaching you how to be a good Southerner. We always prefer to speak in the third person; it kinda helps spread the blame around a bit! :wink:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The ice cream sounds good, but then WE would have to decide WHO will make the pie so THEY can all have a piece. I would like to make the decision. MY pieces will be MINE alone.

The trouble with Southern preachers is they spread the blame. Get in the pulpit and start pointing fingers. Collection plate may be down, but you have had a good time. Watch 'em run out the door.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I have to apologize, John, for hitting a quick edit that stranded part of your reply. Some readers will wonder about the "ice cream" and "pie"!

I zapped the first part on second reading because it didn't make much sense and detracted from my real point.

And about those preachers...I have no idea who you mean! I don't point any fingers, I simply preach the Word, Brother.

Jesus said that He didn't judge anyone, but that His words would do the judging. The folks I see squirming aren't doing so based on what I say, but what the Good Book says; we can't make any apologies for that, now can we? :wink:

Now, we want y'all to have a blessed Thanksgiving now, ya hear?