Thanks to Mark J for his service to the BOC

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark spent many long hours as one of our moderators. After watching one of Paul's videos I learned he has stepped down. He deserves all of our thanks for his service here.

Much appreciated Mark! :big_smile:
    Be sure and stop by to visit.
    Take care.
    Cheryl

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks Mark for all your contributions to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    What chu talkin about we need Mark is he staying with us or what is going on

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    What they said!!

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Mark, hope you'll still be around sometimes. I always valued your wisdom and advice.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Will miss ya Mark. HI wont be the same.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just don't be a stranger ok buddy.

8. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Not wanting to add to your load, Mark, but... I appreciate your willingness to speak your mind on some of the controversial subjects. If you got squeezed on account of that, you can hold your head high, Brother.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mark,
    Thanks
    I stillhave it on my mind youknow what i am saying

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks mark. hope all is ok.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    think the nail be hit there. well i wont go saying anything. mark and me had our differences in the past and disagreed on a lot of subjects. but what he told my privately. stays just there. private. he is like me. holds very few punches when he feels someone or hes being buffaloed.

but somethings are worth the effort in the end. he has my respect. :cool2:

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have never had a negative encounter with the man so I wish you well Mark.

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    squeezed? sorry but I dont think Mark could be squeezed.Mark will be missed.He always could see the other side of most subjects,and wasnt shy about sharing them. thankx Mark J.
    smokey

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never got to talk to Mark very much myself, but always respected him for giving his opinion on issues. Especially in the position he was in as a moderator. You know your gonna get punches thrown at you for just that. but, he always stood his ground and gave his beliefs, he should be commended for his time spent here, and as a loyal member also. take care mark, hope we hear from ya soon....rollo

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not many folks take on the job as being a mod due to time, job, family etc. and I know some in past that tried but I guess it turned out to be little more than they had time for and that is understandable. I wouldn't think it is an easy job. I like every members post and appreciate all who has help keep things in order. Thanks Mark
    Anyway.
    I had fun posting with Mark. He did speak his mind. Sometimes we didn't agree but thats life. Not sure why he stepped down as a mod, I wont even try to speculate why. That is his business. Just cause He steps down as a Mod doesn't mean He is done with BOC.
    He is still a member and has been for a very long time.
    Mark, if you read this, we will see you on the board. Dont be a stranger.

Good luck with your projects.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Mark, thanks for your service brother. Hope all is well and we continue to hear from you on the forums.

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks mark for helping the boc be what it is :wink:

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yall talk like I'm dead.

Thanks Cheryl for the recognition and all those that post.
    Back early in the spring I took the first steps in another direction.
    With an economy that is in a down swing one of the first things hit is the tool market. Tool prices drop out of the bottom.
    I started retooling, getting rid of some of my older tools and replacing them with new and buying tools I've never had.
    What am I tooling up for? That is yet to be determined. When I retire I do want to build a few turn key boats a year up to 20 feet or so in length to sell.
    Custom boats.
    I have a plan for a retirement boat for myself that is a 26 foot lobster boat that I intend on going north and south on the Intracoastal Waterway to various wooden boat shows up and down the east coast. I'll also use it to offshore sportfish.
    The ocean is where it's at.
    I'm almost 41 years old. Halftime is over and I cant hold all of my eggs in one basket for too long. The object in the next 20-25 years is amassing wealth so I can have a good retirement God willing rather then live like a pauper and dread what might be around the next bend heading my way.
    Investments with time and money are crucial.

I can say honestly that the BOC has opened my eyes to the future in this respect. You cant help but get to know members and some of their situations.
    Some live depending on a subsidy from the government, others pay check to pay check, and others have invested well and live comfortably. I want to be in the latter.
    All of this here at the BOC isnt going away. It has solid footing and continual growth. I need to divert my time and energies elsewhere in a more productive way for Mark J and family so I can enjoy all of this later.

As far as my personal life some of you are aware that I have a daughter almost 10 years old. I also have a wife that is on oxygen 24/7. Several years ago a situation came about at the right time where I could move my stepdaughter in full time to live with us to manage the day to day home affairs while I worked. This has worked out well. We are doing fine and will continue to do so. My working hours are sometimes demanding. I am employed at a jet engine manufacturing plant.

I primarily work second shift and pull alot of double shifts not because I have to but because I feel like I need to be there at times when something is going on within my area of responsibilities. We have a term for that. It's called an overtime whore.
    I found myself often feeling like I needed to be in 3 places at one time. Work, home, and the BOC. There is only 24 hours in a day.
    One or all of the 3 is going to suffer in that situation and all 3 were.
    I was working and spending time here from work more then from home.
    That is Ok to a point but one pays the bills and one doesn't. I have to protect the one that does.

On the home front every minute I spend here is a minute I'm not spending with family. Already working second shift I dont see my daughter from Sunday night until Saturday morning unless I can manage to drag myself out of the bed before she goes to school. I cant do work, home, and the BOC and manage that. Guilt sets in. Guilt from not working as hard as I should at work, not spending the time with family as I should, and guilt every minute that I'm not here on the BOC.

I have no qualms with the BOC and I cant think of ANY member I wouldn't have at my table no matter what differences of opinions we share. Often in this type of format alot is lost in the type.

It doesn't matter what or what didnt transpire with my job on the staff.
    The only thing that matters is that it was inevitable that a change would occur
    The other thing that does matter is that I continue to support and promote the BOC as I always have.
    I had come to realize that life is short. Too short to spend it in front of a monitor.

I can speak for the entire staff when I say we have all given up alot of our lives. I manage to fish a 1/10 of what I used to before I came on the staff.
    Zero boat builds. Hobbies? The BOC is the hobby. I dont know about the rest of the staff but I will gamble to say that there is some guilt small or large when they ditch the BOC to be somewhere else doing something else.
    My experience on the BOC as a member and staff has been great. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The BOC is a part of my life and always will be.

What have I been doing?
    Well Some of you know I just got a new Yazoo commercial mower. I've bought a seat accesory. I opted for the suspension seat that adjusts to your body weight and has an adjustable lumbar support. I can spend all day on this mower. It rides like a Cadillac to be sure. It's unreal. The seat alone weighs 80 pounds. What's 80 more pounds on a 1100 pound mower?
    I've been mowing my grass two and three times a week. Sometimes twice in the same day cutting it in different directions. Tonight I was looking at the yard. It looked like a putting green. Best it's ever looked.

I've built a screened in porch on the back of the house overlooking the pond. Not finished yet but still working on it. I've got the roof on it and am putting the boxing and siding on it. Off of this will be an open air deck. Might even wet a line from the deck when it's done while drinking a cold beer.
    Been feeding the catfish religiously in the pond. I've got them following me around the pond as I walk.

Next is the house. I've got 2000 square feet of Pergo to get down, a set of oak kitchen cabinets to build, tile to put down, going to replace every door in the house, all of the molding from the crown molding to the toe molding, and paint. Nice project with fall and winter coming on.
    The great part is I have a 10 year old that thinks daddy is the best at everything. I'm doing something she can participate in and learn.
    She is not adjusting to the sound of a framing gun quite yet but she'll come around. She loves the smell of lumber like I do. We'll see how she handles the sound of the trim guns before long and we'll see how she likes banging Pergo together.

Yes , I participated as a member and continued to as staff. Now I'll participate as a member again but less frequently. Maybe when the cold winter sets in you'll see me more. Maybe when my back is ailing you'll see me more.
    When I'm done for the day and have fullfilled my commitments to work and family I'll stop in.
    If you want an email address, I have one.

19. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Mark you are a good man and I can totally understand and respect your decision. Take care and we will see you around.

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Mark. We will miss you but you got to do what you got to do. Please don't be a stranger!!