Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to say thanks to all you guys who told me about different spots to try when I come up next week. I will be working in huntersville. I think I'm going to settle on blythe park landing on lake norman. It seems the closest to me. And Dieter said to try the west side of the park I think because there will be plenty of bream to catch. Does anyone know if the park closes at a certain time or can I fish all night? and whats the lighting situation from the bank? I'm use to catching channels here in florida between 3 and 13 lbs, got any tips for me? I'm using 20 lb power pro, is that enough? should i bring my castnet? anything worth catching in the castnet that i can use legally? anyone want to meet me there thursday the 13th or friday the 14th?
Matt

· Registered
225 Posts
I've not been to Lake Norman, but I can speak to some of your questions. In NC it is unlawful to net gamefish species. Bluegills, bass etc. However you can net any non gamefish like shad carp bullheads chubs minnows etc. I would definitely bring your cast net to catch shad. You can use any fish for bait(live or dead), but the gamefish should only be harvested by rod and reel. If you are having a hard time making bait, the best areas I have found are the small creeks that go right through town. They do not get fished much at all and are full of green sunfish and creek chubs. 30 minutes should yield around 20-40 baitfish if you are in even close to the right area.

20lb line properly tied can land very nice catfish. However, Lake Norman can produce real wall hangers. You will probably be just fine with 20lb as long as the line is new and your knots are solid. If you do happen to hook into something monstrous, you might not catch it. If money is not a big deal to you, I would just go buy some bigger say 65 braid with 50 lb mono leaders just to have a chance at catching anything from shore.

Hope this helps! There are a lot of great catmen/women that are more familiar with that body of water and the bank access and hours of operation on this site, hopefully they can answer the balance of your questions.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brett,
I will definitely bring my cast net then and I will look for some local creeks to catch some sun fish. I would rather not replace the 20 lb power pro because I paid the bait shop to put it on and when they asked me how much I wanted on each reel I told them 200 yards and they gave me a lil attitude. They only wanted to put on 100 to 150 yards. I have some berkley 60lb big game trilene mono that I will probably use as a leader.
Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.