Thanks from the new guy

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chad69dart, Jul 3, 2009.

1. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Guys

Just ran up on yalls site the other day and decided to join and give flat heads a try. Most of my catfishing has been trot lines and jugs for big blues in the Alabama river. After reading some of the threads here decided I would give Yellows a try on rod and reel.

Talked to a buddy who is a sure enough river rat and he was game but not overly confident that we could target yellows and that most likely all we would see was blues.

So loaded up the boat with what we had for tackle. Just a couple of cheapo spinning rods from wally world with 20LB line and a couple of old zebco 33s and a couple of bream busters.

Hit the bream hole about 4 pm and and loaded up with about 20 bream from 3" up to some decent pan size and headed for the Tombigbee looking for some deep water in the big river. Found decent spot down where the tombigbee and the alabama come together. Outside of a bend fishing a drop off a high clay bank that droped down to about 50ft with some current.

Rigging was pretty straight forward 3 way swivel set up 2oz weight a 7/0 J hook. This whole rigg was new to my buddy who is stricly a trotliner. He is looking at me like I have lost my mind. Tail hook a 6" bream and send it to the bottom and just kick back. I ve got 3 riggs out 2 that will most likely hold and the infamous 33.

15 min later and a few beers down the bait alarm starts howling on that little 33 and my buddy gives me a look like "what the Hell". Draw down and set the hook on that old 33 and that poor bait rod doesnt know what to think. Bent double and the drag howling the fight is on. My old river rat buddy is digging around in the bottom of the boat trying to fish out the net around empty beer cans and tackle boxes. He's saying the whole time that aint no yellow cat got to be a big drum or a gar maybe if your lucky it might be a decent blue.

10 min into the fight and a few cans of water on that poor 33s gears she finally rools up and its a 20 lb yellow cat. I know its not much compared to what you guys are catching but its a start. At that point both me and my buddy are hooked.

By the end of the night we have 8 yellows from 8lbs to 20 lbs, 2 blues in the 10lbs class,1 zebco 33 that the gears are stripped out of and :big_smile: that lasted all the way back to the camp.

What did I learn ? That the tactics yall give do work so thanks for the info. Also that if your going to chase the big boy you better have some good line and a stiff rod doesnt have to be exspensive but she better be strong. But in a pinch there aint many things more fun than landing a 20lber on 33.

Thanks again for all the help and the info. i will post yall some pics if I can ever figure out how to get them off my phone.

Chad

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Funny how it always turns out that you become the one hooked..Congrats on the successful trip and thanks for sharing..

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chad.

4. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Im am hooked on the flattys now. Funny how folks down here dont target the biggest fish in the river. Mostly blue fishermen down her. Not uncommon to see 50LB Plus blues around here but seldom do you see big yellows. I guess we will have try and do something about that.

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    welcome to the boc chad and congrats on the great night of fishing

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chad Welcome to the BOC. Congrats on a successful night fishing for the flats. Your going to have to up grade your reels to a larger model, with stronger gears.

7. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mickey you are right about that. But its fun to go even if its on a cheap budget.

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC Chad

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site, all it takes is that first flatty and your hooked, its very addictive :wink:

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congratulations Chad and welcome to the BOC! It's amazing how much more fun it is to actually go fishing than it is to go trapping. I could run a hundred hooks in the water and catch 5 fifty pounders on sets, but nothing compares to catching even a couple, even smaller fish, on rod and reel. Way to go on a good night out, and once again, welcome to the best catfishing site on the web!:0a25:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    LMHO , I can see your buddy now.:smile2: Thats what got me a 20lb flathead ans I have been hunting then for over 20yrs now and it is just as much fun now as it ever was..

Welcme to the BOC Chad. love the story.:wink:

Kenny.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Chad! Sounds like your hooked!:wink:

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya hooked now. Late nights unkempt hair smellen of bait, mumbling come on big boy come on. Ya will upgrade to saltwater gear and 25lb line or better, high end hooks, still out all night and wham ya get your first 50lb+ flatt. It looks like a monster in the water. You will start fishen with 12inch baits just waiten for the ol monster flatt--- Its a addiction ment to drive sane men madddddd!!!!! lol.:wink: I am glad you done Good on em if fishen em is that easy down there, mabe I might need to give the ol MO river up (never gona happen). Get some stouter gear and toss a big 12 inch sucker or 1/2 carp out in them holes. Oh yea we gota see pics of the monsters. Been hooked on monster flatt and blue fishen since I was a kid. My heart still thumps when I see a rod go down on a big live bait. Welcome to the Boc hope to see more posts from you.

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Welcome. Sounds like you had a great time.

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    :smile2: lol great story bro thanks for sharing gotta luv them 33's

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Chad Welcome to the BOC, and thanks for sharing a great trip with all of us!! Funny how the lightest tackle in the boat has a way of producing the largest fish :wink::smile2::smile2:

17. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Guys

Thanks for all of the great feedback.

No Doubt IM HOOKED!!!

Aint it the truth how the biggest fish just seems to know which rod is the most likely to break or which one the drag is not set on and go for that!! You can just see big boy down there saying to his buddies "Hey watch this" as he snatches your rod over or breaks it right into:confused2:

Had a hundred Honey Do's yesterday but about 3PM I couldnt stand it anymore. Me and my oldest son loaded up the boat and headed that way.

We got there in plenty of time to catch some bait but threw a comedy eras and my son fighting with the plug in the live well all the bait was dead by the time we got to the honey hole.

Still managed to catch 1 flatty about 5 LBS and missed a couple that had good runs. Even though every crazy from a 100 miles was on the sand bar shooting off fireworks and running up and down the river sure will be glad when the 4th of July is over. Always just enough to keep ya coming back.

Got pulled over by the water patrol on the way in. After getting the 3rd degree and him kind of making fun of our rather dismal catch. he told us some guys just down the river from us had caught a nice 60pounder and had several in the 20 pound class. Atleast he didnt give us a ticket. I guess being retired from the Army has its advantages. :wink:

All in all we had a blast and we are just waiting for the weekend to be over so we can get down to some serious fishing.

thanks again guys see yall on the river.

Chad