Thanks for the Tips

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by The Catfish Stalker, Apr 28, 2008.

1. The Catfish Stalker

The Catfish Stalker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm a long time catfisherman. However, until very recently, I used nightcrawlers and chicken livers as bait. But, after perusing the threads in this section, and doing a little extra research, I am now of the mind that using shad, cut or live, or bluegill is probably the best course to take.

I have recently started entering tournaments and, while my teammate and I have been finishing middle of the pack, we need to consistently catch 6lbs to 10lbs to have a shot at placing. So I went to google.com and found my way to this site. I think I've found a new home.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to share their strategies for actually catching "the one that got away".

Now, I just need to go fishing (for baitfish) to go fishing. It's like Doublemint Gum, double the fun.

2. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it:smile2:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC John. You will find all kinds of useful information in the member library. There is so much useful information in there you'll be tied up for days trying to read it all.

Also check out the BOC Diner. There is all kinds of delicious recipes in there that you will feel like you've died and gone to heaven.:smile2:

We also have a chat room where you can come in and chat live with some of the members of the BOC. Your welcome to join us there anytime.

Good luck

4. The Catfish Stalker

State:
    Illinois
    I found the library and it's already been of great help. Thanks.

5. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Well good glad your making yourself right at home.:wink:

Enjoy and keep on trying new things and posting your findings. We are all eager to try new Ideas and pat someone on the back for a successful outing.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    :big_smile:jump right in there ,there's a whole lot of info here , it's yours just for the asking, and for them live gills will land you a big fish

good luck and welcome from so. alabama

7. The Catfish Stalker

State:
    Illinois
    I gotta go bluegill fishing to go catfishing...I never once thought bluegill could be useful.

8. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    John you can help yourself on the bluegill situation by taking a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth that is about 6" square and tie a piece of string to each corner then tie it off to an over hanging limb that would be a likely place for blue gill. Put a piece of meat or tuna fish on the hardware cloth. Come back in about a week and fish under the limb using either worms or crickets.

The rotting meat will attract flies that will lay their eggs into the meat. When the eggs hatch they eat their way out and fall into the water attracting the blue gills.

Good luck

9. The Catfish Stalker

State:
    Illinois
    I'm going to have to give that a try, thanks for the info!

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC, another good bait to try is to buy some boneless chicken breast and cut it up into small strips, and cut into pieces, and put garlic powder on them lil water and let them soak for a day or two they stink but I have caught some good size cats on it.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC. I was astounded when I found this place too. I THOUGHT I was a catfisherman until I started reading all this stuff! I am quickly becoming one now!! :) You are definitely on the right track with your bait needs. Shad, Blueback herring, and bream are certainly among the very top of the "preferred" list of baits. I use all of the above mentioned quite successfully. Enjoy your stay here and by all means, post your pics as your catches come in.
    Bill in SC